Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road debris impales car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The USA sure does seem to have a lot of giant metal objects lying on their highways...

Not just the USA. I am dodging stuff on the 401 in Ontario all the time. The 401 is a major truck route and at times it seems there are more 18-wheelers than cars. They throw off re-tread (and sometimes whole wheels) and drop crap off the back. I've dodged all manner of wood and metal debris, but the biggest hassle now that winter is here is the massive sheets of ice that peel off the truck roofs, fly up in the air and then slam down on the roadway. That is actually a pretty scary sight!

Not just the USA. I am dodging stuff on the 401 in Ontario all the time. The 401 is a major truck route and at times it seems there are more 18-wheelers than cars. They throw off re-tread (and sometimes whole wheels) and drop crap off the back. I've dodged all manner of wood and metal debris, but the biggest hassle now that winter is here is the massive sheets of ice that peel off the truck roofs, fly up in the air and then slam down on the roadway. That is actually a pretty scary sight!

I know I've dodged more debris on the TransCanada Highway than on any other road.

I guess I've just been fortunate. The roads here also have a significant amount of truck traffic (as evidenced by the depressions and ruts from overloaded trucks). However, I've never come across any significant debris other than pieces of truck tire. Your windshield suffers from the grit they throw if you have to follow them for any length of time (4 windshield claims since 2008) but that's about it.

Maybe our department of highways is particularly vigilant at removing that crap, but considering their ineptitude at marking bumps I tend to doubt it.