TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Road debris impales car

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by Dutchie, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

2. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

The USA sure does seem to have a lot of giant metal objects lying on their highways...

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

We've got a lot of highway.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

This has been posted before on the forum... don't remember exactly where.

5. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not just the USA. I am dodging stuff on the 401 in Ontario all the time. The 401 is a major truck route and at times it seems there are more 18-wheelers than cars. They throw off re-tread (and sometimes whole wheels) and drop crap off the back. I've dodged all manner of wood and metal debris, but the biggest hassle now that winter is here is the massive sheets of ice that peel off the truck roofs, fly up in the air and then slam down on the roadway. That is actually a pretty scary sight!

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I know I've dodged more debris on the TransCanada Highway than on any other road.

8. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I guess I've just been fortunate. The roads here also have a significant amount of truck traffic (as evidenced by the depressions and ruts from overloaded trucks). However, I've never come across any significant debris other than pieces of truck tire. Your windshield suffers from the grit they throw if you have to follow them for any length of time (4 windshield claims since 2008) but that's about it.

Maybe our department of highways is particularly vigilant at removing that crap, but considering their ineptitude at marking bumps I tend to doubt it.