Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Fund License Renewal Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Embarrassingly, years ago I moved house and forgot to update the address on the V5. My car at the time was £0 VED.

I never gave it another thought until I got quite an aggressive letter from the police about my car tax. I think I got an £80 fine for failing to tax my car. Lesson learned.

If you have to pay for it you can do annual DD and it auto renews but because its free you have to do it manually which is a bit dumb.
If you lease and the keeper is the lease company do they do it? because you won't get the reminders then?

You used to have to renew a SORN every year but then they made it open ended. Maybe they will do that with zero VED cars as well one day? The direct debit auto renewals check MOT before doing the renewal for another year and don't renew if you have no MOT so no reason zero VED could not be the same?

If you have to pay for it you can do annual DD and it auto renews but because its free you have to do it manually which is a bit dumb.
If you lease and the keeper is the lease company do they do it? because you won't get the reminders then?

I believe they do. Our leasing company told us they are responsible for it and it's included in the cost. I will check tomorrow just to be sure. That way I can forget about it entirely.

I believe they do. Our leasing company told us they are responsible for it and it's included in the cost. I will check tomorrow just to be sure. That way I can forget about it entirely.
A lot of people leased when the cost was still £350pa in years 2 - 5 of ownership (Additional rate VED) and now I recall some were able to get a cost reduction on their lease after this was scrapped because it was saving the lease company £1000+ on a 4 year lease.