Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road hero spare wheel kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone got any experience of these kits? I got a screw in my tyre, not a disaster, but enough to make me think. Having had loooooong waits in the past for rescue, I'd like the reassurance of having an actual physical spare, at least on longer trips. Any thoughts?

Bought one 2 yrs ago. Comes with nuts and a scissor jack. Had to modify the scissor jack to take one of the lifting pads. Also bought a torque wrench.
I've always had a spare giving me the confidence. Have had a screw, and a spring clip on one occasion (fallen off somebody's brakes!!)
Takes up a lot of space in the boot but have not had a problem with loads. Only being 2 of us have dropped the back seats when needed.

Attachments

• 20201110_140853.jpg
    20201110_140853.jpg
    724.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 20201110_141011.jpg
    20201110_141011.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 20201110_142501.jpg
    20201110_142501.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 107
  • 20201110_142522.jpg
    20201110_142522.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20201110_142545.jpg
    20201110_142545.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 20201110_142449.jpg
    20201110_142449.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 118
Thanks for that. Just had the offending screw puncture repaired, £18:50p at my local tyre bods. I think I will definitely order one of the kits, I'm old school, and can manage tyre changes quite happily, as long as I can find somewhere safe on today's roadsides to do it.

I bought the kit, based on a few people's recommendations on here. I mean what can you say, its a wheel and tyre. As far as space savers go I think it looks quite sexy, compared to the ones of old you used to get and of course it fits perfectly.

I was and still am a bit peeved off by the scissor jack they include. They sell the kit specifically for Tesla's but send some garbage standard jack that isn't fit for purpose without heavy modifications. Apparently they are working on a new version, but they told me that a year ago and ive not seen anything come to light from it.

If you do get one, definitely get yourself a wedge off amazon or something, as when the tyre is flat, you will struggle to get the jack & puck underneath the car.

Other than that, certainly beats being stranded at the side of the road. Does take up quite a bit of boot space though.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Bought one 2 yrs ago. Comes with nuts and a scissor jack. Had to modify the scissor jack to take one of the lifting pads. Also bought a torque wrench.
I've always had a spare giving me the confidence. Have had a screw, and a spring clip on one occasion (fallen off somebody's brakes!!)
Takes up a lot of space in the boot but have not had a problem with loads. Only being 2 of us have dropped the back seats when needed.
Nice job!

Well done! How do you secure the spare tire in the Frunk?

I got one of the tyre plug kits and an inflator. Of course when I rolled over a bag of screws and blew 2 tyres while away from home I flat out forgot I had both of these in the frunk and went though all kinds of tribulations to get home :/.

That day, I decided I was an idiot.
I will respectfully decline to comment on your self-assessment - but I feel your pain!

I have also gone down the route of the tyre plug kit and inflator, but also have bought a suitable jack and wheelbrace and pucks etc in case I need to remove the tyre to fix it. Having no possible roadside remedy for a simple fault was not a risk I was willing to take.

I bought just the wheel as I already had a jack and wheel brace. Then got a good used tyre. Total cost £150. Bought a tyre bag too, sized for the factory wheel which will keep crud from the boot if I ever use it ( not needed it in 2 years)

I bought one of these and had to use it again recently this time I realised that there is a small bolt that holds the disc in place and there is no recess in the rear of the wheel to accommodate this so the wheel doesn't sit flush. Easily drilled with a 10mm bit but worth checking before you need to use it

I'm not sure how I feel about this ratchet strap solution....its seems like a LOT of work and messing around to get it just right...and for what?

You don't gain any space really, anything that he has underneath the wheel I can just put ontop of mine when I need to.

Am I missing some benefit? I got really excited at the beginning thinking it would stash the wheel away nicely.

The problem is there is no location to stash a wheel anywhere “nicely”. If you are content for it to be in the boot/trunk in a bag and put everything else on top of that then you are good to go. That strap solution gives you a large flat storage space.

As I said, it assisted in making my personal decision. I decided against a spare wheel but for the ability to do a roadside repair using a jack/puck wheelbrace and puncture repair kit. With Tesla roadside support and an AA membership just in case.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
It nice to have one but I have never had any puncture at least for the last 20 years. Statistically it seems very rare now. I may be lucky? 😇. But the idea is very valid when you are driving long distance, the size wheel can save your day. Electric pump or wheel???? Not sure yet

I bought one for a long continental trip we did last year, and hopefully a similar one later this year.
The scissor jack supplied is useless and not fit for purpose so replace that straight away.
The only problem then is what to do with the big grubby flat tyre and wheel you remove if your boot is filled with cases etc.
I suppose I ought to carry it all the time, but I don't, and when I eventually get the inevitable puncture I will be kicking myself for leaving it in the garage.