TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Road noise caused by roof seams

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by seyclone, Jul 28, 2018.

1. seyclone

seyclone Member

I heard that a fair amount of noise at speeds (over 60) is caused by the flex seal between the top of the car and the front section of the glass roof. There is a rubber seal kit that being sold that is supposed to stop this.
    Has anybody it? Does it work?
    Thanks

2. kmcdds

kmcdds Member

183 views and no replies so far. I'd be interested in knowing this as well. Some find the car very quiet. I really notice the wind noise at highway speeds.

• Like x 1
  3. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

at highway speeds, I notice wind noise around the side mirrors.

I don't really hear much between windshield and glass roof. but i suspect build quality is at play here.

4. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  5. seyclone

seyclone Member

I ordered the item from rpmtesla. I'll test it out and report back as soon as I give it a week or so of evaluation..

• Like x 1
  6. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I put a strip of regular black electrical tape across the windshield gap in the glass. It looks really good and seems to help. I haven't done the gap between the sunroof and the rear window yet, but I'm planning on it soon.

• Informative x 1
  7. MissyMcBee

MissyMcBee Member

i ordered mine a few weeks ago (RPM) and still waiting for delivery so i can install

8. Zepp

Zepp New Member

I have excessive wind noise also.

The SC replaced the quarter panel glass weatherstripping on the front left and right doors, but the wind noise is still there.

I'm going to try seal the windows with tape to see if the noise gets better. Maybe try taping up different sections to find where it's leaking on your car?

9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I installed mine a few weeks ago and have decided that it does reduce wind noise noticeably. I'm happy with it.

• Like x 1
  10. seyclone

seyclone Member

How long did take for them to send it to you?

11. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Really hope people search for existing threads before posting a new one on the same topic ;)

12. seyclone

seyclone Member

Thanks, Trevor B. I hate reinventing the wheel. When I did the original search for the topic, I think I used road noise in the search instead of wind noise. Now, I'm wondering whether I should have ordered the RPMtesla product.

13. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Road noise would be due to tire compound/size. The windshield should have no part in that.

14. seyclone

seyclone Member

Did my wife tell you to say that?

• Funny x 4
  15. seyclone

seyclone Member

RPMTesla seal kit came yesterday. I installed it this afternoon. The install took about 30 minutes. Pretty straight forward. I'll check it out over the next couple of days and report back about noise reduction.

• Like x 2
  16. seyclone

seyclone Member

OK! I didn't take any really long runs, but at speeds over 50 MPH, the noise coming from the roof is definitely lower. Now if I just install the force field modification, I will be able to get rid of the road and tire noise. Seriously, the RPM Tesla kit looks like a keeper.

• Like x 1
  17. AZatul

AZatul Member

I know it’s only $30 but after spending $57k I would think the service center could and should make the same fix for free. My 3 is super quiet on local roads but the wind noise at highway speeds is annoying.

18. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

There are lots of things Tesla can do for folks plonking down $60k+, but the general consensus on this forum is that we should be so lucky to even get a car (I disagree with this group think, needless to say) ;)

• Funny x 1