Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise in MX vs. MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have input on the level of road noise in a MX compared to a MS? We have a P85D 19" wheels and the road noise is very annoying. It's time to start looking at new cars and my wife is very close to going with a Cayenne (test drove it and the road noise is less than in our P85D), but before we make the switch I was wondering if the MX has better road noise isolation.

I actually disagree. I had an s75d with 19“ (pano roof). I thought road noise was pretty bad. With the wisp bars on it was ridiculously loud. My x100d with 20" actually seems better. Maybe I'm just used to it and don't hear it anymore, but imho.... It's an improvement.

I had really bad noise in my Model x...

A fantastic tech shared with me there is a flaw with the rear windows. Meanwhile I thought the noise was with the doors... simple and quick fix without going to get the windows fixed?.... push the window down 2cm on your door consol button, no more noise

Anyone have input on the level of road noise in a MX compared to a MS? We have a P85D 19" wheels and the road noise is very annoying. It's time to start looking at new cars and my wife is very close to going with a Cayenne (test drove it and the road noise is less than in our P85D), but before we make the switch I was wondering if the MX has better road noise isolation.

AP2 MX w/ 20's, AP2 MS w/ 19's. I don't notice any difference driving and switching between the two. I can comment on MX vs the Cayenne and the Cayenne is louder than my MX. But the Cayenne has a different noise, MS has wind and road noise. The Cayenne might as well but I hear engine and exhaust noise more than I hear road/wind noise.

I had really bad noise in my Model x...

A fantastic tech shared with me there is a flaw with the rear windows. Meanwhile I thought the noise was with the doors... simple and quick fix without going to get the windows fixed?.... push the window down 2cm on your door consol button, no more noise

What kind of noise are you hearing?

I think a lot might depend on the individual car. I own an X100D delivered in November. I had an S100D last week while my car was in to have the tow package installed. The S100D was about the same age as my car (and had fewer miles), but it had substantially more wind noise.

I suggest you test drive one of the latest S, it looks like they improved a lot.

I have a RWD S85 (not d) 19" and an X90D 20" and the S is lot quieter (but the missing from motor probably help a lot :) ).

(PS: I could never go back to ICE, it's so sluggish. I'm dying each time I have to (rental, loaner))

I suggest you test drive one of the latest S, it looks like they improved a lot.

I have a RWD S85 (not d) 19" and an X90D 20" and the S is lot quieter (but the missing from motor probably help a lot :) ).

(PS: I could never go back to ICE, it's so sluggish. I'm dying each time I have to (rental, loaner))

The new ones aren't noticeably quieter than ours. Plus, the dated design is a problem for us, and we find Porsche acceleration to be, er, adequate. Not sure how anyone can complain that a Porsche is "sluggish", and we've owned a P85 and then a P85D, so we are well aware of how Tesla's accelerate from 0-60. I don't do a lot of 0-60 runs. I do, however, like to accelerate at speed, and I find the combination of an ICE and a multi speed transmission to be better suited to my preferences.

"sluggish" is maybe too harsh but the "delay" between the time you push the "gas" pedal and the actual acceleration is a "no go" for me (not even talking about this horrendous sound coming from nowhere disconnected from the actual real "power").

I travel a lot in Germany so I'm used to nervous and fast drive it may be that. Anyway, your drive style looks better fitted by ICE probably.