Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise in MX vs. MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"sluggish" is maybe too harsh but the "delay" between the time you push the "gas" pedal and the actual acceleration is a "no go" for me (not even talking about this horrendous sound coming from nowhere disconnected from the actual real "power").

I travel a lot in Germany so I'm used to nervous and fast drive it may be that. Anyway, your drive style looks better fitted by ICE probably.

Could be. It's a shame Musk got distracted by things like the roadster and the semi, rather than working on a new Model S that has better NVH control and new styling, cause we probably would have upgraded to that.

If you’re talking road noise, there are a couple of factors to consider. First, what size of tires are you riding on and what is their condition? The larger the wheel, the lower the tire profile and narrower sidewall which means more road noise. Also, the rear portion of Model S is somewhat isolated with the seats up (including the cargo cover being in place) versus the Model X which is open all the way to the back gate. Try driving your Model S with the 2nd row seats folded down and the cargo cover removed. Notice how much louder it is? I have both and will agree that under certain road conditions (like concrete), my MS is somewhat quieter than my MX. However, if the road is smooth (like newer asphalt), the MX gets eerily quiet! BTW, the motors and driveline in my Sep 2017 X are considerably more quiet than the motors in my Feb 2016 Model S 90D.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
My Model X (earlier VIN) is the loudest car I've ever owned after my Porsche 944S. :D both of my Lexus LS's (2001 & 2007) were quiter by a long shot. i have tons of noise from the windows and the FWD's.

All of this being said though, i recently drove a brand new MX100D (VIN 74XXX) which had 1000 test miles on it and it was just about as quiet as any car i've experienced (nothing can beat my 2001 LS430, with it's tomb-like silence though :) )

That is fascinating about the newer MX100D being much quieter. My vin is in the 19k's and I've always been frustrated with the noise. Pretty sure the main culprit is the windows and door seals. Cross winds of 25 mph or more when I'm driving at highway speeds result in window's "losing their seal" and a woofing sound - meaning the sound of driving with front windows up and back windows down. Can you tell if they have changed the type of door and window seals as compared to your MX?

As others have suggested above, i suspect that tires are a huge factor. And especially tire condition. Newer tires are likely much quieter, so someone driving a newer car is probably reacting at least partly to the newer tires.
i don't think of my Model S as being particularly quiet, but I had an early Model X as a loaner once that I thought was very noisy on the highway.
Pavement condition is a big factor -- rough or old pavement gets telegraphed into my car as increased noise. Likely newer pr quieter tires would help.

That is fascinating about the newer MX100D being much quieter. My vin is in the 19k's and I've always been frustrated with the noise. Pretty sure the main culprit is the windows and door seals. Cross winds of 25 mph or more when I'm driving at highway speeds result in window's "losing their seal" and a woofing sound - meaning the sound of driving with front windows up and back windows down. Can you tell if they have changed the type of door and window seals as compared to your MX?

oh, yes i had same problem. i had problem where window would pop out from frame at 35mph if windy outside. i took it in and they replaced some stuff and freeway speed non-windy day is much improved. waiting to test windy day.

Reactions: Xcelerator
Totally false. Road noise is the issue, not engine noise. The Porsche is significantly quieter.

Maybe some useful input before making your final decision... My brother in law took delivery of the new Porsche Cayenne 2 weeks ago. Don't think the new model even is released in US yet? His car is equipped with 21" wheels and now with Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires, which happen to be the exact same setup that I have on my MS. Albeit I have a bit more narrow tires on my Model S with 245 in width on the 21" tires.

All this said... I'm not very impressed by the all new Porsche. It is really not a single step less noisy than my Model S. I've got a fairly new 100D which I think is very quiet. And I drive a lot on motorway also. Yes, sure the interior in the updated Cayenne feels rather nice (same treatment a la new Panamera with the 12.1 screen etc), but extremely busy with all the buttons everywhere. The gearbox is really sluggish with the 8-geared tiptronic. I was so happy to get back into my Model S for many reasons.

Just make sure you test it out before making the switch. I would never ever change to a Cayenne after having test driven thie new one. And I might even think you consider the old model which might be an even bigger step down?

• Disagree
Reactions: ohmman and Eclectic
Maybe some useful input before making your final decision... My brother in law took delivery of the new Porsche Cayenne 2 weeks ago. Don't think the new model even is released in US yet? His car is equipped with 21" wheels and now with Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires, which happen to be the exact same setup that I have on my MS. Albeit I have a bit more narrow tires on my Model S with 245 in width on the 21" tires.

All this said... I'm not very impressed by the all new Porsche. It is really not a single step less noisy than my Model S. I've got a fairly new 100D which I think is very quiet. And I drive a lot on motorway also. Yes, sure the interior in the updated Cayenne feels rather nice (same treatment a la new Panamera with the 12.1 screen etc), but extremely busy with all the buttons everywhere. The gearbox is really sluggish with the 8-geared tiptronic. I was so happy to get back into my Model S for many reasons.

Just make sure you test it out before making the switch. I would never ever change to a Cayenne after having test driven thie new one. And I might even think you consider the old model which might be an even bigger step down?

Yeah, I am pretty sure I've had my fill of button-less car controls. And stark interiors. And thanks for the advice about taking a test drive, truly something I would have never considered...

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy and evster
Yeah, I am pretty sure I've had my fill of button-less car controls. And stark interiors. And thanks for the advice about taking a test drive, truly something I would have never considered...

You find that tone of voice appropriate after my response?

I assume you can't test drive the latest Cayenne in a while anyway in the US since it's not even available and this is maybe something you didn't like to hear.. what do I know.

Enjoy your Porsche, you seems to have decided earlier on anyway to move in that direction! :)

You find that tone of voice appropriate after my response?

I assume you can't test drive the latest Cayenne in a while anyway in the US since it's not even available and this is maybe something you didn't like to hear.. what do I know.

Enjoy your Porsche, you seems to have decided earlier on anyway to move in that direction! :)

We haven't sold our current car nor have we purchased the replacement. But rest assured, I test drive cars before buying them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy