Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise refreshed MX to old MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 MX that was produced in Dec 2020 before the refreshed version.
I luv my MX but for the road noise.. I heard that the refreshed model S/X have double glasses & the noise cancelation sound system that supposedly reduces road noise but I can't find one to test drive to validate this claim before going for an upgrade!

Has anyone noticed reasonable noise reduction in the new MX compared to the older version?
TIA

In the Model S refresh, Active Road Noise Reduction, as the feature is called, barely works. It's subtle when it works at all.

I will say, coming from a 2018 Model 3 to a 2022 Model S, the reduction in noise has been great. The MS is not as quiet as an E-Class Mercedes (let alone S Class). But to me, it's quiet enough to not be fatiguing on a multi-hour highway drive, unlike the Model 3, which ramped up on wind noise and road noise both very quickly. This made my long-ish commutes in the SF Bay Area fatiguing and along with the M3's kinda rough suspension, were among the top reasons I was looking forward to the refreshed S.

Also, don't discount the effects of the newer tires which have foam in them to dampen road noise. These seem to be a non-trivial factor in the new S/X noise reduction strategy, and should be available to more and more cars over time.

I have been very pleased with road noise on our pre-refresh X other than the window seal at the front driver's window which is inconsistent as hell. I have a piece of paper towel wedged in there right now because it's cold enough it stopped making full contact with the glass

Just had three new OE contis put on and it's quieter than worn obviously, but even on worn tires it's pretty dang quiet except for wind from that one spot

The OE tires on Model X (the 20's anyway) have always had foam. However, they did just update the tire with a different foam strip and probably a few other "under the skin" improvements, at least the 20" contis got a new T code.

Say it with me, 2018 twitter style:

Frameless! 👏 Windows! 👏 Are! 👏 Stupid! 👏

Lucid knows what's up. Hell even tesla went to extraordinary lengths to have a framed back door window in Model X. Elon was like the doors have to be frameless windows and X engineers were like bruh a frameless window in a door that size will never work and some delorean enthusiast was like OR

Last edited:
Reactions: DelPhonic1