Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise verdict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Does the 3rd party tubing on the roof or the doors help to significantly reduce the road noise? Have seen lot of videos on YouTube but they all came out to be inconclusive.

Regards
S

Most road noise inside pretty much all cars is transmitted through the chassis which then exhibits itself as noise in the cabin. Unless you have a car with excessive wind noise, putting tubing in the cracks can only have a very minor impact on cabin sound levels and this would be primarily by reducing wind noise, not road noise (although it will very slightly reduce tire noise it will probably not be a big enough difference to notice.

Whether the very small reduction in cabin sound levels is worth it will depend upon how much you value that very small reduction in sound levels and whether you have other projects you would rather be working on. It's not going to be a night and day difference.

Reactions: Saimaannorppa
Roof tubing is not going to affect road noise. Different sources of noise, and different solutions. Roof tubing is to help with turbulent aero noise, created by the gap between the panes of glass. The tubing bridges the gap. Road noise is coming from the tires, so tires, road surface, and sound isolation of those components will help with road noise.

Reactions: mswlogo
Roof tubing is not going to affect road noise. Different sources of noise, and different solutions. Roof tubing is to help with turbulent aero noise, created by the gap between the panes of glass. The tubing bridges the gap. Road noise is coming from the tires, so tires, road surface, and sound isolation of those components will help with road noise.
True, but the OP asked about it. I've not seen any tests showing elaborate sound isolation work has made any difference. But the tubing does make a difference in many cars in total noise reduction.

Reactions: KenC
I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Maybe it does at 85+ MPH, but I don't typically drive that fast.

As @StealthP3D pointed out the bulk of the noise comes through the frame from the tires hitting the road.

A ton depends on the road surface you are on and the speed you travel at over that surface.

There is so many "noises" entering the cabin at different frequencies from different sources and getting through different paths it's hard to pin point the effect of any one change.

I've done the RPM Gasket, Tires, Cabin Mats, Trunk Mat, Lower Trunk Mat, Frunk Mat, Stuffed Frunk, Both Front and Rear Sun Screens (probably my favorite noise mod), DIY Door Gaskets.

I'd say it's 30% better (on 80% of the roads and not exceeding 65 mph).

But certain roads at high speeds still sound like roaring thunder.

The car lacks acoustic glass (and it has more glass than most cars), and lacks insulation in many parts of the vehicle.

Sometimes when cars pass me on the highway I think my window is open that I can hear them so clearly.

Reactions: KenC