Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Noise with All Glass Roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only had one day's worth of driving with mine, and noticed no increase in exterior noise at all. If anything, it is quieter, although that may be due to improvements in sound insulation elsewhere in new cars. I was not driving fast enough to test wind noise, but I expect it to be less, since there are far fewer seams (only two) than the pano roof.

It is winter and the sun is low up here in Canada, so I cannot yet comment on glare, but I do notice that my new (to me) black headliner and visors help.

So far, I am totally loving it! It is like having a convertible without the wind noise and drafts. ;)

One would have to assume it would be quieter than the panoramic roof and about the same or slightly noisier than the solid roof. Only reason I say might be slightly noisier is because the solid roof has more layers compared to just the sheet of glass but glass is pretty good noise isolator as well.

Last edited:
I put ~100 miles straight on mine after pickup. A range of speeds, including a spurt of - err...oops didn't realize I was going that fast. We drove on asphalt, concrete, and gravel (painful!)

While a bunch of stuff started bugging me that I didn't notice on the test drive; excessive road noise from the glass roof was not an issue after picking mine up last night.

I put ~100 miles straight on mine after pickup. A range of speeds, including a spurt of - err...oops didn't realize I was going that fast. We drove on asphalt, concrete, and gravel (painful!)

While a bunch of stuff started bugging me that I didn't notice on the test drive; excessive road noise from the glass roof was not an issue after picking mine up last night.
without derailing this thread, what bothered you?

A lot of it is preference and adjustment to the car. I wasn't a fan of the steering feel, I felt a slight variance while holding a consistent turn - my wife didn't feel it at all. I dislike the blind spots, spacial awareness when driving (I'm sure I'll adjust to it)

Everything else was quality related. We already need to schedule a service appointment to get some things fixed. Nothing that was major, the car still runs and drives. Just some visual (loose trim, alignment) and some annoyance on convenience features not working properly.

Reactions: gowthamn
I've had all glass roof about 3 weeks. Definitely noticeable noise above 35 mph. Also measured glass on drivers side is about 1/16" higher than windshield and 1/32" on passenger side. About 1/16" lower at center. Masking tape over the gap made an audible improvement. I have not yet had a chance to compare the noise from the panoramic roof, but based on the design I would not be surprised if the panoramic roof is quieter when closed. At this point in Model S 90D with 19" wheels the wind noise apparently from this gap is the most noticible noise over 35 mph. I have recommended to others that they not order without test driving both. Service ha said only solution would be to replace roof, but I'm not sure that would fix it if the roof glass curvature does not match windshield curvature. The curvature at the back appears to match.

• Informative
Reactions: houstonian
Had my tesla model S for a little over a week, and I can say that I do love the glass roof thus far. It is heavily tinted and I can't imagine it being to bright or glaring. As far as noise, this car is so much quieter than anything I've ever owned that I cannot fairly comment. It makes it look and feel like a F-16. Especially driving in the trees and mountains, continuity of visual field and motion is most Excellent.