Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road noise!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Download and turn on a decibels meter app, put it near center console, and driver Y around at 65-80 mil/hr for a while. give us the reading pls. freeway cabin noise is a pretty import factor for me to decide keeping my order or save for a X later.

Download and turn on a decibels meter app, put it near center console, and driver Y around at 65-80 mil/hr for a while. give us the reading pls. freeway cabin noise is a pretty import factor for me to decide keeping my order or save for a X later.

I wouldn't trust a phone app for an absolute measurement. A test with the same phone and app in both the M3 and MY, or a real sound meter measuring on the same weighting would be great.

Reactions: mswlogo
We can hope but I'm betting money was spent on better "fart sounds" than on sound deadening or ride comfort. Sad to say that an Accord is quieter with an ICE.

Even if the accord is quieter I’d still opt for the Y or the 3. I’ve had my 3 for almost 17 months and have over 77k Miles now, many of those at highway speeds. And exactly zero times have I thought to myself “dang this car is loud.” To each his own, but for me, this is still the best car I’ve ever owned.

Last edited:
I would agree that it is a nice car but it is not luxury car quiet inside the cabin, far from it. Take a drive in a Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Camry or Accord and you will understand. I have only 35k on mine and every time I drive it I enjoy it but...always wonder why they did not insulate the road noise better. It has no noisy motor, so just think how nice it would be without excessive road noise. On smooth blacktop it is fine but concrete or none smooth road...ugh! I know turn up the radio.

I would agree that it is a nice car but it is not luxury car quiet inside the cabin, far from it. Take a drive in a Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Camry or Accord and you will understand. I have only 35k on mine and every time I drive it I enjoy it but...always wonder why they did not insulate the road noise better. It has no noisy motor, so just think how nice it would be without excessive road noise. On smooth blacktop it is fine but concrete or none smooth road...ugh! I know turn up the radio.
my soon-ending lease is a mercedes e300 and i will take the other side of that discussion, the engine sounds like a diesel at idle and although it's definitely a nice highway cruiser, the NVH is nothing like i expected from a benz. but then, this one was ONLY $65k list...

Reactions: Electric Steve

I have owned a Lexus in the past and my wife’s current car is a Volvo. I would take my Model 3 over either of those any day of the week and twice on Sunday. So smooth, so refined. Is the interior as “luxurious” as the others? No, quite frankly it isn’t. It’s nice and very spartan. People who get in my 3 call it “clean” meaning simple and uncluttered. Yes on rough pavement you can hear the road noise, mainly because there is no noise or vibration coming from the engine. I simply listen to my Spotify playlist or Shapiro or NPR or whatever I want to listen to and the road noise melts away. Again, I have never once thought “dang this car is loud” but many, MANY times I have thought “‘this car is freakin awesome!!!”

And as always, to each his own. If luxury feel and insulation is the most important thing to you, Tesla may not be a good fit. And that’s ok, there are many different brands for a reason. For me personally, I will never willingly go back to a Dino juice mobile and for the near future I can’t imagine driving anything other than a Tesla. Best car I’ve ever owned.

We can hope but I'm betting money was spent on better "fart sounds" than on sound deadening or ride comfort. Sad to say that an Accord is quieter with an ICE.

This is sadly the truth. A lot of way cheaper current generation ICE care are much quieter inside. Tesla chose to skimp on proper sound deadening and better overall design. Probably they did the math and chose that the risk losing a number of customers because of this would be ok.

The trouble is, it's hard to tell how loud the cabin is on a quick drive test and because of their business model, a great number of customers even buy their cars sight unseen, without even a quick drive.

I'm in the camp who appreciates a good interior and a quiet ride so my next car most likely won't be another Tesla.

This is sadly the truth. A lot of way cheaper current generation ICE care are much quieter inside. Tesla chose to skimp on proper sound deadening and better overall design. Probably they did the math and chose that the risk losing a number of customers because of this would be ok.

The trouble is, it's hard to tell how loud the cabin is on a quick drive test and because of their business model, a great number of customers even buy their cars sight unseen, without even a quick drive.

I'm in the camp who appreciates a good interior and a quiet ride so my next car most likely won't be another Tesla.
And as a nod to free will, nothing says freedom like making a choice.

But consider this...the more we live on the bleeding edge and invest in companies like Tesla, the faster other manufacturers will commit to change. Their added innovation will drive down cost, increase selection and make a massive difference to our quality of life.

Reactions: TKJD0817
And as a nod to free will, nothing says freedom like making a choice.

But consider this...the more we live on the bleeding edge and invest in companies like Tesla, the faster other manufacturers will commit to change. Their added innovation will drive down cost, increase selection and make a massive difference to our quality of life.

For sure. This is why I don't regret getting an S. Tesla did start the ball rolling and I have very high hopes for other EV manufacturers in the next few years. I just hope my S doesn't fall apart until then... or annoy me enough to sell it.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid

I didn't notice the Model 3 being noisy in my test drive, even at highway speeds. I did notice it being awesome.

Look, there are people who want their cars to be luxurious. Good for them. They shouldn't buy low-end Teslas. Maybe the S or X is better for them. Or maybe a traditional luxury car. To each their own.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Still noone who can take his phone into the cabin and do measurements? It takes 15minutes. Jeeez.

CVZCYPwUsAAJpL0