TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Road noise

Discussion in 'Cybertruck: Interior & Exterior' started by DWSimmons, Apr 26, 2020.

1. DWSimmons

DWSimmons New Member

Went for a drive in our Model 3 yesterday and it was loud. I don't know about a model S or X specifically. In 1988, I rode in a Lexus and it was road silent.

How does road actually enter the cabin?

Does a stainless steel unibody have anything to do with reducing or (yikes!) increasing road noise?

I have my tri-motor reservation in but if the noise is the same as my Model 3, I'm out.

2. glide

glide Active Member

Basically, Tesla’s are poorly built. They use the bare minimum of insulating materials and also use the cheapest glass.

German and some Japanese manufacturers take build quality very seriously. I came from BMW, drove a Model S, and it is laughable how bad the road and wind noise is on a $100K+ vehicle.

People coming from Toyota’s and Honda’s don’t seem to mind as much. Neither do the Tesla apologists.

I would expect the truck to be louder. Less aerodynamic, larger tires and wheels. But no one will know for quite some time. Like all new Tesla’s, good luck getting a test drive in one.

3. Zelectric

Zelectric Member

The more aggressive the tire the noisier it will be as well. That is why I'm hoping there will be multiple wheel and tire options. I go off road and hunting 5-10 days a year. So hopefully they will have choices.

• Like x 1
  4. DWSimmons

DWSimmons New Member

Thanks, I didn't know this. Maybe, they'll offer a racing slick option, lol, mostly kidding.

5. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

I have a Model 3 and a Model Y. The Model Y is much quieter than the 3. So they have already improved and I expect that will continue. In the Model 3 they used the bare minimum insulation for cost savings (trying to hit $35k) and to reduce weight to extend range. Decreasing battery costs and increased density along with improved motor efficiency has given them some headroom to add insulation without reducing overall range and margins. They make their own glass and there's nothing wrong with it. I assume that the break resistant glass on the Cybertruck will be thicker and, therefore, quieter. But I agree with @Zelectric that the tires look like they will generate a lot of road noise, especially for the BMW's as it blows by. :D

• Like x 1