TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Road Noise

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Hitman007, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

One suggestion I would offer to Tesla is they need to address road noise. For the cost of an X I would expect it to be at least as quiet as a BMW or Mercedes SUV especially since there is no engine noise. But my X is as loud as my wifes Honda Pilot. The solution is simple.. just add more & thicker sound absorbing insulation around the cabin and on the floor. The cost to do that seems negligible. They should use the Lexus LX as the mark to shoot for in cabin noise.

• Like x 1
  2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

The X is as loud as my MDX but so was the S loaner I got while my X was in service so I don't know what quiet is expected to be

3. Joer293

Joer293 MODEL X P100DL

My 2016 X is much quieter than my 2013 S was. By about 15dBa, when I measured it. I would say my X is now as quiet as our Acura MDX. Tesla just isn't in the same category of creature comforts as Mercedes. The road noise now doesn't bother me as much as the low frequency resonations from the suspension over rough highways. Something Mercedes and BMW solved along time ago. Most other owners can't hear it, but I can when in their cars.

4. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I can hear the suspension air noise when I slow down.

5. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

I might take mine to a car stereo shop and have them put sound guard insulation in the doors and under the carpet. Basically wrap the cabin.