Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One suggestion I would offer to Tesla is they need to address road noise. For the cost of an X I would expect it to be at least as quiet as a BMW or Mercedes SUV especially since there is no engine noise. But my X is as loud as my wifes Honda Pilot. The solution is simple.. just add more & thicker sound absorbing insulation around the cabin and on the floor. The cost to do that seems negligible. They should use the Lexus LX as the mark to shoot for in cabin noise.

One suggestion I would offer to Tesla is they need to address road noise. For the cost of an X I would expect it to be at least as quiet as a BMW or Mercedes SUV especially since there is no engine noise. But my X is as loud as my wifes Honda Pilot. The solution is simple.. just add more & thicker sound absorbing insulation around the cabin and on the floor. The cost to do that seems negligible. They should use the Lexus LX as the mark to shoot for in cabin noise.

My 2016 X is much quieter than my 2013 S was. By about 15dBa, when I measured it. I would say my X is now as quiet as our Acura MDX. Tesla just isn't in the same category of creature comforts as Mercedes. The road noise now doesn't bother me as much as the low frequency resonations from the suspension over rough highways. Something Mercedes and BMW solved along time ago. Most other owners can't hear it, but I can when in their cars.

Reactions: earlyretirement
My 2016 X is much quieter than my 2013 S was. By about 15dBa, when I measured it. I would say my X is now as quiet as our Acura MDX. Tesla just isn't in the same category of creature comforts as Mercedes. The road noise now doesn't bother me as much as the low frequency resonations from the suspension over rough highways. Something Mercedes and BMW solved along time ago. Most other owners can't hear it, but I can when in their cars.

I can hear the suspension air noise when I slow down.

My 2013 Model S was far quieter than my 2016 Model X, which has been to the shop for multiple (at least 4 times) wind-noise/door/fit/tolerance issues and adjustments. Today, I added about $20 of FrostKing EPDM 1/4" D-shaped rubber weatherstripping from Hope Depot around the 4 doors (skipped trunk). Adhered it to painted surfaces (some on doors, some on chassis) for a tighter fit. DRAMATICALLY REDUCED ROAD NOISE, such as sound of oncoming cars passing, neighborhood dogs barking. We can actually hear the noise of the electric motor again as the car accelerates and drives. Huge improvement with a home-made modification that Tesla just couldn't do on their own.

My 2013 Model S was far quieter than my 2016 Model X, which has been to the shop for multiple (at least 4 times) wind-noise/door/fit/tolerance issues and adjustments. Today, I added about $20 of FrostKing EPDM 1/4" D-shaped rubber weatherstripping from Hope Depot around the 4 doors (skipped trunk). Adhered it to painted surfaces (some on doors, some on chassis) for a tighter fit. DRAMATICALLY REDUCED ROAD NOISE, such as sound of oncoming cars passing, neighborhood dogs barking. We can actually hear the noise of the electric motor again as the car accelerates and drives. Huge improvement with a home-made modification that Tesla just couldn't do on their own.
Can you post a photo of the door area so I can see what you did?

@Hitman007 - How many decibels are you recording inside your vehicle when driving?

Yes please post your details as to where you put the weather stripping. I had a Model S prior to my X and the road noise difference is night and day. My S was very quiet, but I hear everything outside of my X. I also brought in my X for Service 3 different times and they told me that the road noise level was in acceptable range each time telling me that they adjusted the small triangular window, which has never been an issue that I could hear, and reset the windows. Thanks in advance!

This car gives me a headache. I am not sure if its the seat, the Michigan crappy roads, or the rough ride. My wife won't sit in it anymore, especially with autosteer on local roads as it seems to ping pong back and fourth between lane markings. Anyone else get headaches? It may also be the pickup.. maybe doing mild whiplash to my neck, since the seat doesn't seem to have great upper body support.

Yes please post your details as to where you put the weather stripping. I had a Model S prior to my X and the road noise difference is night and day. My S was very quiet, but I hear everything outside of my X. I also brought in my X for Service 3 different times and they told me that the road noise level was in acceptable range each time telling me that they adjusted the small triangular window, which has never been an issue that I could hear, and reset the windows. Thanks in advance!

I think BandE is on to something here. I found some left over foam stripping and placed a ring if it around my driver side door.. and I think it made an impact. Could be placebo effect.. but I am going to try all the doors. By the way has anyone ever added extra padding to the driver chair? Its really stiff and hurts my back.. do you think it could soften up with time?

Thanks
Mo!

• Informative
Reactions: Allante
I personally think my former Model S and current Model X is very quiet, but would like to know more objectively. How do we measure noise in dB, with our smartphones? Would that be good indication of noise levels in general, or do we need to use some good audio meter?

The sound level measuring in phones is getting better, but even if you had a professional sound meter you would need to devise a repeatable test to make any useful comparison.

The orientation of the sound meter, distance from noise source, background noise, frequencies being measured and other variables will all have a bearing on the number you end up with and if you then repeat the test with another car on another day, how can you be sure you've got everything consistent?

Noise is also quite subjective. Some people don't mind some types of noise but are irritated by others. it's a subject the auto makers take very seriously and spend a lot of time and money getting right.

If it's road noise you're trying to reduce, you'd probably find more benefit from changing to a different brand/model of tyre than adding sound-deadening materials to the inside of your car.

I've owned a few luxury vehicles and my wife still drives one . I have come to the conclusion that this is a bit of an illusion - at least In my car.

Because there is little to no engine noise or transmission noise you " hear " the wind more than you would in an ICE car.

I think my car has less noise than my best friends brand new BMW - once you take into account it doesn't have a combustion engine to cover up the wind .

I can say that any car can benefit from dynamat installation to decrease road noise - no matter how good or bad it is. I plan on getting the doors at least done in it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tanquen
I've owned a few luxury vehicles and my wife still drives one . I have come to the conclusion that this is a bit of an illusion - at least In my car.

Because there is little to no engine noise or transmission noise you " hear " the wind more than you would in an ICE car.

I think my car has less noise than my best friends brand new BMW - once you take into account it doesn't have a combustion engine to cover up the wind .

I can say that any car can benefit from dynamat installation to decrease road noise - no matter how good or bad it is. I plan on getting the doors at least done in it.

Thats is true about the engine noise absent from a Tesla but to me it seems the harsh noise I am talking about is coming from the road. So it would seem that a dynamat installation under the carpet would really help.

Thats is true about the engine noise absent from a Tesla but to me it seems the harsh noise I am talking about is coming from the road. So it would seem that a dynamat installation under the carpet would really help.

I wonder has anyone had experience with different tires than what comes with the car ? Are the ones included maybe rated poor on road noise ? I haven't looked into that at all .