Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Tax for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is easy, however if you don't have a legitimate ACT address where the car is garaged, you will have to lie to get it registered. If you can't show proof you will most likely be asked to sign a stat. dec.

As someone who legitimately works in ACT and spends more than half the year here I can fill you all in on this.

There is no stat dec required. You write an address down on a form, which needs to be correct as of the time you sign the form.

They require no proof of address, and will accept an out of state driver licence. I’ll leave it at that.

As someone who legitimately works in ACT and spends more than half the year here I can fill you all in on this.

There is no stat dec required. You write an address down on a form, which needs to be correct as of the time you sign the form.

They require no proof of address, and will accept an out of state driver licence. I’ll leave it at that.
You may be right most of the time, however I know of one case where a SD was required, so I will correct myself and say "may" rather than 'most likely'. The out of state licence just proves the identity and address of the applicant who signs the form or the SD if asked. Either way, if you don't have an ACT address where the car is usually garaged, you will be lying. just sayin'

Considering that if you manage to get it registered in ACT first you can save $~4,000+ its a pretty interesting proposition and not be forced under Victorian dumb laws.

Only thing I would be concerned about would be.
- Registered Address
- Insurance
- Getting tesla to actually move from Victoria to ACT.
- Inspections

Heres what they say themselves.

"Applicants for a first issue of an ACT driver licence and/or and ACT vehicle registration, or an applicant who does not hold or cannot produce an ACT driver licence must provide full evidence of proof of identity. Applicants must produce a minimum of three original documents that satisfy the following"

• at least one primary proof of identity document
  • at least one proof of identity document must display the applicant's name in full and not as an initial. Where an interstate photographic driver licence displays an initial as the middle name the applicant must provide a second proof of identity document that displays their name in full
  • at least one proof of identity document must show the applicant's signature
  • at least one proof of identity document must show the applicant's date of birth
  • proof of residency in the ACT must be provided as a fourth document if not already satisfied by other proof of identity documents (this is not required to register a vehicle in the ACT - you must simply provide notification of the vehicle's ACT garaging address)
  • proof of identity document must be current, not expired, unless otherwise stated
  • photocopies are not acceptable unless otherwise stated
  • certified copies of documents are not acceptable for the first issue of an ACT driver licence or proof of age card, or establishment of vehicle registration.
Well, theres the evidence.

So all you really need is your drivers license in another state that is valid, birth certificate, passport (good to always use) an address in Canberra like a carport, which are very easy and cheap to rent.
Then technically you have not broken any laws and your safe.

NEVER, EVER. Falsify documents. Atleast if they question your location or carport, you can whip out your official receipt and documents for the carport.

Worst comes to worst, your told to change your registration to a Victorian one.
Tessie might be a ACT numberplate.

Last edited:
If they are going to do this it should be applied across all types of vehicles, EV or otherwise.
Hopefully it won't happen for a while yet.

There've talks about extra charges for home owners with solar power for a new years now for similar reasons, but as far as I know, this hasn't happened yet.

Well, according to wiki the current fuel tax rate is $0.416 per liter of unleaded. And only about 25% of it goes to fund the road infrastructure.

Assuming fuel economy of 7L/100km, it only gives 0.7 cents per km road tax for ICE cars. How come EV owners should be paying almost 6 times more?

how do you get points and traffic fines etc when you dont have an ACT address and lie on the form?

Well, according to wiki the current fuel tax rate is $0.416 per liter of unleaded. And only about 25% of it goes to fund the road infrastructure.

Assuming fuel economy of 7L/100km, it only gives 0.7 cents per km road tax for ICE cars. How come EV owners should be paying almost 6 times more?

it is sort of hard to modify old laws and stuff. When you introduce new ones you can futureproof tings and really dig deep into the publics pocket.

Believe it or not, they actually put your out of state address on the registration lol. There is a separate section that says "Garage Address"

Don't lie btw.

so surely that has insurance implicatons if you i.e. have an accident out of state and they find out you live there and garage the car there.
Or is it enough to come once a year to your garage address?

Also from the money you save on the registration you could surely hire a garage in the ACT?

so surely that has insurance implicatons if you i.e. have an accident out of state and they find out you live there and garage the car there.
Or is it enough to come once a year to your garage address?

Also from the money you save on the registration you could surely hire a garage in the ACT?

I actually work/live 6 months out of the year in ACT. RACV has okayed this because I have insured for the higher risk (VIC).

At 7 litres per 100kms that equates to 2.9 cents per km, average fuel economy for passenger vehicles is closer to 9 litres per 100kms, so 4 cents per km is close to the mark. Don't worry too much, it will take a few years before any government can get their act together, the press release was a blatant attempt to scare people off buying EVs, there's a lot of people that rely on the unreliability of an internal combustion engine and all its additional components.

Reactions: paulp
Even if we think that, broadly, it is a good idea to replace petrol excise with a distance-based tax, this is such an incredibly badly designed proposal. Artificial thresholds and step changes in tax rates massively distort behaviour in the wrong way as people try to game thresholds.

A better designed proposal would make the per-km charge proportional to the delta of the fuel efficiency of the vehicle to the average fuel efficiency of the national fleet. It wouldn’t go from 0 to 4c at 1l/100km, but have a gradient. But of course that would then impact “real” voters who own “real” vehicles and is therefore unacceptable. Much better to maliciously and blatantly target those rich, latte-sipping inner-city elites who virtue signal by buying BEVs, and exempt everyone else, even though it completely fails the logic of the problem they say they are trying to solve.

So... when will polluting cars pay a tax to offset the public costs of the pollution they generate?

• Funny
Reactions: Hungry Mile
Even if we think that, broadly, it is a good idea to replace petrol excise with a distance-based tax, this is such an incredibly badly designed proposal. Artificial thresholds and step changes in tax rates massively distort behaviour in the wrong way as people try to game thresholds.

A better designed proposal would make the per-km charge proportional to the delta of the fuel efficiency of the vehicle to the average fuel efficiency of the national fleet. It wouldn’t go from 0 to 4c at 1l/100km, but have a gradient. But of course that would then impact “real” voters who own “real” vehicles and is therefore unacceptable. Much better to maliciously and blatantly target those rich, latte-sipping inner-city elites who virtue signal by buying BEVs, and exempt everyone else, even though it completely fails the logic of the problem they say they are trying to solve.

So... when will polluting cars pay a tax to offset the public costs of the pollution they generate?
Well said

Reactions: Hungry Mile
I can't believe people are even considering swallowing this. We're taxed like crazy as it is! The notion that they need this extra tax for the roads is complete garbage; our income tax AND GST should be more than enough, let alone the yearly registration tax that's already in place. The roads are rubbish anyway, and a new extra tax won't change that. I'm not even going to talk about tolls.

I can't believe people are even considering swallowing this. We're taxed like crazy as it is! The notion that they need this extra tax for the roads is complete garbage; our income tax AND GST should be more than enough, let alone the yearly registration tax that's already in place. The roads are rubbish anyway, and a new extra tax won't change that. I'm not even going to talk about tolls.

true. id quite happy pay double the road tax if it means we get some proper fencing and slightly wider (single lanes up here) lanes and speed limit will go up to 140 as long as theres no car coming towards you.
Or just a proper dual carriageway to start with.

But we all know that the money from petrol, road tax, speeding fines gets diverted elsewhere.

Reactions: Tension