Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road tax incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not for another 2.5 years……and it was always going to happen. The question is how much? Will they penalise more expensive cars? Will it be based on efficiency or maybe weight? And how will it effect cars bought now, under the current rules?

“UK Chancellor Jeremy Hunt will introduce a vehicle excise duty that includes electric vehicles, FT reports, citing unidentified people briefed on Hunt’s plans.

• Introduction of excise duty to EVs would go into effect from 2025-2026, unidentified people briefed on the plan added to FT
  • Treasury declined to comment to FT ahead of its fiscal statement on Nov. 17”

Reactions: Millenium101
1. Could the govt scrap the original idea of it being up to 2025?
2. Would it work like the last tax change. Any car registered before the change would carry on paying the old rate or in this case zero
3. If they did bring it in would it be starting from April 2023 for any cars registered (if they were going to U turn on the exemption of EVs till 2025

WOO we can start complaining about the condition of the roads from 2025​

/s - I’ve never really stopped because we have a diesel too. Sort the roads out and VED would be marginally more palatable. VED + our fuel rates and lack of price control is problematic.

Reactions: Lddex

WOO we can start complaining about the condition of the roads from 2025​

/s - I’ve never really stopped because we have a diesel too. Sort the roads out and VED would be marginally more palatable. VED + our fuel rates and lack of price control is problematic.
Why wait until then? they are crap now 😜 ... But then again, that why its not called road tax anymore... If Iever make a bit of cash on the side and dont declare it, I sure aint losing any sleep over it!

• Funny
Reactions: Casss
It was obvious this had to come and lets face it - Its fair. Loosing hundreds of thousands of VED payers as they swap to BEV was significant - and it wasn't only the loss of VED the government lost, the fuel duty on Diesel and Petrol - plus many BEV owners charge from home - so only pay 5% VAT and those with Solar are paying nothing to charge up the car.
If you then add the loss of VAT and corporation tax that was generated by annual servicing of their previous ICE - then it's been a massive loss of revenue to the government - so it was inevitable tax had to come.

I just hope that when the days come where BEV is the majority of vehicles on the road then all these rather silly congestion and low emission zones that have sprung up here and there get scrapped - I want to be able to drive anywhere and not have to think "Is this a charge area"

The future with BEV will also be every single car has the technology built in to be able to introduce road charging - or monitoring of speed - or indeed peak period (rush hour) driving and maybe introduce a charge for that too.

Whilst the early adopters have had it good, we always knew it was temporary - but absolutely none of my presumptions and expectations of what the government will introduce deflates my content with having an electric vehicle.

It was obvious this had to come and lets face it - Its fair. Loosing hundreds of thousands of VED payers as they swap to BEV was significant - and it wasn't only the loss of VED the government lost, the fuel duty on Diesel and Petrol - plus many BEV owners charge from home - so only pay 5% VAT and those with Solar are paying nothing to charge up the car.
If you then add the loss of VAT and corporation tax that was generated by annual servicing of their previous ICE - then it's been a massive loss of revenue to the government - so it was inevitable tax had to come.

I just hope that when the days come where BEV is the majority of vehicles on the road then all these rather silly congestion and low emission zones that have sprung up here and there get scrapped - I want to be able to drive anywhere and not have to think "Is this a charge area"

The future with BEV will also be every single car has the technology built in to be able to introduce road charging - or monitoring of speed - or indeed peak period (rush hour) driving and maybe introduce a charge for that too.

Whilst the early adopters have had it good, we always knew it was temporary - but absolutely none of my presumptions and expectations of what the government will introduce deflates my content with having an electric vehicle.

Some wise words. It's a fine balance though as we are technically still in a period of transition. The danger by introducing cost uplifts via tax or other means when the cost of the average electric car is still unaffordable for the average person could result in a slow in their uptake. Any measures that slow the uptake of EVs is a measure against de-carbonisation and can be considered counter productive.

This is without considering energy costs currently (and maybe post April) are already hidden measures which will slow the uptake further. Factor in the removal of government incentives for EVs, the unfair reimbursement rate for electric company car drivers who are left out of pocket, a recession, cost of living crisis, further impending tax changes, wages not keeping up with commodity prices.. it's a real storm.

Reactions: GlynG and ACarneiro
I agree. However, I think you are being too kind to the government. Have you not see the news on the cost of living these days? Inflation up and wages just flattened if not dropped over the past 10-15 years at least. Have they invested the tax money they have been raking in back into their business (we the tax payer form their business) like any good business would? I would say not hence the mess its at today. Allas, me not paying VED, only paying 5% on my fuel or even better nothing (albeit with investment) still does not make up for all their shortcomings. Wether it's fair?...Its debatable.

While it was inevitable and I suppose, as much as I'm not happy about it, realistically its the only choice they have to cover the lost revenue as others have said, the issue here is this whole push to be completely electric.

I joined the EV world a year and a half ago. I can't REALLY say anything pushed me in that direction other than wanting a Tesla itself, but the fuel/tax/servicing savings were definitely a huge bonus when I worked out my finances.

I don't go into London so not having to pay the congestion charge/ULEZ wasn't a factor, but if I DID, then boy would it have changed things.

But i'm now a year and a half in, charging costs have sky rocketed at home and public chargers are really starting to take the P. New house builds are supposedly coming with seperate charger meters (can't remember if that went anywhere tbh), congestion charge exemption runs out soon, road tax is round the corner, other electric car manufacturers still seem to want to charge a fortune for having their cars "serviced" each year.

I still think its far too premature.

I do agree to introduce further charges immediately would be counterproductive to the BEV ownership take up - and quite frankly I don't like the idea of having to pay for something I don't have to pay now - but i can also see the mess the country is in - whatever and whoever created the conditions that have diminished the value of the currency and increased interest rates - and pegged wage rises - all i do know for sure is the problem can be solved by throwing money at it - and you have to have money first to be able to throw it.
You have to remember too, MPs are just men and women with the same flaws as the rest of us, sure, most came from wealth so have never experienced hardship and therefore they don't understand what that feels like - but they do utter the words of understanding whilst continuing to enjoy many perks of the job that cushion them from the real world. But however bad they can be we do need them and every 4 or 5 years we have a choice which set of useless individuals we want in power as they are pretty much all the same whatever party flag.

I know we all get annoyed with them, but the media are pretty bad too, creating fear and panic - not reporting the news but creating it, but that's the society we live in and have to work with and moaning, protests, petitions etc just won't change anything - so may as well embrace it.

Years ago we paid road tax, as i understood it I paid for the right to be on the road - this was early 1970s, somehow it all got changed to a tax dependent on emissions and for sure that would have been an idea by some spotty face ex university kid who worked out that a link to emissions would raise more revenue - but had no idea something like an electric car would ever be feasible - so now things have to change.

Regarding the counterproductive issues - well the government say they will ban new ICE sales by 2030, (Though I'm sure some entrepreneur will find a loop hole in which people buy from another country and just import them) they say they want to drive EV sales and they want more sustainable energy but that didn't stop them removing the EV subsidy, the FIT payments on solar, the removal of 5% vat on batteries for solar storage so some psychologist must be engaged advising the government about people's reactions to change and how to break down resistance to that change - far more clever people in government circles than me.

So, I'm going to enjoy my Tesla or whatever BEV I have in the future irrespective of what happens. I do have a theory, if you don't watch the news, read a newspaper or view online reports you wouldn't be aware of any changes to your life - not even changes of government would impact because what one gives back, they take it elsewhere - and we would all have a much more content life not knowing.

• Disagree
Reactions: KennethS and Js1977
I’m from the UK but now living in California. You are lucky that you do not have to pay road tax, here the road tax (registration) for my Model Y Performance is $650 a year. I’ve received nothing from CA to help since i switched to an EV. All we got was $750 the purchase price…count yourselves lucky in the UK too get concessions.

I’m from the UK but now living in California. You are lucky that you do not have to pay road tax, here the road tax (registration) for my Model Y Performance is $650 a year. I’ve received nothing from CA to help since i switched to an EV. All we got was $750 the purchase price…count yourselves lucky in the UK too get concessions.
I think Ill speak for all here in the UK...We are really sorry to hear it. That must really suck and nearly makes me feel good about the whole situation here.....Are you planning on coming back from that misery?

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro