Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if there was a charge it has to be paid at the point of registration, it cant be registered without paying it, so even if you had to cough up for it Tesla would still actually have to pay it when they registered the car. So basically, in the first year, so long as the car is registered it is also by definition taxed.

How does this work with adding a private plate?

Good point. I don't think it makes any difference, but I could be wrong. I think the fee for "Transfer" includes all the associated Admin and the DVLA just reissue the "tax disc" for the current period ... my plate is on retention as I haven;t got around to sort it out yet ... so 'd like to know, for sure, too please :)

Good point. I don't think it makes any difference, but I could be wrong. I think the fee for "Transfer" includes all the associated Admin and the DVLA just reissue the "tax disc" for the current period ... my plate is on retention as I haven;t got around to sort it out yet ... so 'd like to know, for sure, too please :)
I put our private plate on the car off retention as soon as the V5C arrived, so less than a week after collecting the car.

New plates makes no difference to the situation for road tax - the reissued V5C has the same wording telling you it’s payable in years 2-6.