Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road tax

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Even if there was a charge it has to be paid at the point of registration, it cant be registered without paying it, so even if you had to cough up for it Tesla would still actually have to pay it when they registered the car. So basically, in the first year, so long as the car is registered it is also by definition taxed.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
How does this work with adding a private plate?

Good point. I don't think it makes any difference, but I could be wrong. I think the fee for "Transfer" includes all the associated Admin and the DVLA just reissue the "tax disc" for the current period ... my plate is on retention as I haven;t got around to sort it out yet ... so 'd like to know, for sure, too please :)

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
Good point. I don't think it makes any difference, but I could be wrong. I think the fee for "Transfer" includes all the associated Admin and the DVLA just reissue the "tax disc" for the current period ... my plate is on retention as I haven;t got around to sort it out yet ... so 'd like to know, for sure, too please :)
I put our private plate on the car off retention as soon as the V5C arrived, so less than a week after collecting the car.

New plates makes no difference to the situation for road tax - the reissued V5C has the same wording telling you it’s payable in years 2-6.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC