Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Taxes for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the way in to work yesterday, I was listening to the Dave Ross show (a local Seattle radio talk show). Dave was interviewing Repblican state Senator Mike Hewitt. They were discussing Washington State's financial problems, and Dave asked Senator Hewitt if there were any tax increases that senate Republicans would support.

One of the examples that Mr. Hewitt came up with was adding highway taxes to electric vehicles. This was somewhat ironic, as I was in mine while listening.

Anyway, if taxing us is an increase that even Republicans can get behind, it can't be long until it's enacted. Of course, it's not really fair that EVs get away without paying for the highways that we use, so in the long run we certainly will/should be paying. I was just hoping to put it off a little longer.

The thinking perhaps goes along the lines of a gas tax. An EV owner would not pay gas taxes, which in some states are multi-leveled so everyone gets a cut. Electric utilities do however charge taxes; but not to the same extent imposed on gasoline. I would pay the tax as long as it is not labeled a "sin tax". It could only be collected at the time of inspection based on miles driven or registration renewals.

A decent amount of gas tax goes to road maintenance, particularly state level gas taxes, and EVs are just as hard on roads as anything else. I don't have a problem with paying that. Though, as was noted earlier, it'd be nice to then also be exempt from supporting the oil industry through subsidies.

They really need to find a sustainable, steady source of revenue for roads and bridges that doesn't relate to gas tax. Something that is predictable and doesn't go down with increased gas prices (because people tend to drive less) or with cars that don't use gas like EVs. It should be something that everyone pays too.

The Road Tax placed on fuel has been about the most fairest of all the taxes imposed on us, not that I like taxes. The problem has been that the taxes have been used for other purposes than repairing the roads as they were intended. That said, the heaviest of the vehicles do most of the damage to the roads, meaning the transport trucks and vans. I read that the damage to the roads goes up exponentially with the weight, and passenger cars do the least, but pay the majority of the taxes to repair the roads. I would like to see all vehicles under 4000lbs exempt from road taxes, and lower the bar as technology will allow, although all roads need some maintenance regardless of use.

Governments are trying to promote the transition to EV's. I don't believe that we will see new taxes on EV's until they are fairly widely adopted, say >20% of the vehicles on the road. Then I would expect them to be taxed with at least a nominal rate.

I'll note that in California, at least, direct road-related taxes like the gas tax and tolls cover less than 30% of the needed budget for on-going road maintenance (that does not include needed improvements).

And by exponentially, Lloyd means to the fourth power of the axle weight. Stunning, huh? The extra weight of batteries is in the noise. Heck, because of the other weight-saving done, the Roadster weighs just about the same as a 911, which I consider it's most direct competition.

I'll note that in California, at least, direct road-related taxes like the gas tax and tolls cover less than 30% of the needed budget for on-going road maintenance (that does not include needed improvements)..

Yet in this year alone the state of California has taken 5.8 billion dollars from the repair fund, taxes paid exclusively to repair our roads, for general purposes and has not been repaid.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/bottleneck/2008/06/understanding-g.html

Last edited:
Clearly road taxes on EVs are way premature. So few cars out there, how much revenue can this realistically generate? My guess is that they want to legislate these taxes now while EV drivers are a minority, and as such, there wouldn't be much opposition. When was the last time the gas tax was raised?

I see this in a similar light as the noisemakers mandated on EVs. The fair thing would be to directly address the issue at hand (noise/road damage) regardless of drivetrain. Say we charged all cars based on weight^4. How likely would it be such a bill to be passed?

Again, like noise makers on EVs (no evidence of an actual issue), EV road taxes at this point in time are misguided.