Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road & Track critiques Model X towing range using unrealistic scenarios

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Why Electric Cars Aren't Yet Great for Towing

Quote: “...hypothetical trailering scenarios for a Model X in this video. In one, he simulates a family taking their Model X on a camping trip, driving 100 miles up a 1-percent grade at 75 mph. Factoring the 5500-pound weight of the Model X itself, plus 500 lb of payload and 5000 lb of trailer, increased drag coefficient from the trailer, rolling resistance, and gravity, Fenske calculates that 100.4 kWh is needed to make that trip. In other words, you'd need to recharge to make it.”
————————————————————————

As those of us who tow with a Model X know, this is not a realistic scenario. 5,000 lbs is the limit of the Model X tow weight. 100 miles of a steady 1% grade? At 75mph? That is a crazy fast towing speed. In California the legal limit when towing is 55. I never go over 60 no matter where I am, and I’ve towed about 10,000 miles in 5 states in the Western US. 75mph while towing a trailer is simply unsafe no matter what the tow vehicle is.

Yes, towing with an X takes more careful planning than when driving without towing. But there is nothing difficult about the planning process.

Another quote: “So while you can tow with an EV, they won't be practical tow vehicles until their energy capacity increases significantly.”
————————————————————————

That is demonstrably untrue. Written by someone who has never actually towed with a Model X, I’m sure. Published in a magazine stuck in the 20th century.

And how many forest trees (you know, the ones you love to camp around) is the F150 responsible for killing?

He did back off and lower the Speed and estimate 83Kwh.

I say to be safe, depending on size, assume it could be 50% less range.

Model X tows like dream though. Wow. It tows smoother than my 6500 lbs rated Jeep did.

Cybertruck should help smash this perception.

We could certainly use more range, but it should not scare people away today for many scenarios, like mine where I never go long distances.

Road & Track knows that a negative article on Tesla will get more attention than if they were to publish a report saying "Tesla tows great and does not pollute"

Dog bites man gets no interest...but Man bites DOG! gets lots of attention.

If they reversed the direction of travel they might conclude that Tesla going down the same 1% grade, uses very little battery capacity, but the Ford has burn up their brakes, slowing, going down the hill :(

Tesla uses extra current going uphills, but gains much of that back on the down hill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bacalao