Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road & Track: P3 with Track Mode at Lime Rock Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Won't complete a lap of the ring without power loss on this evidence

A pro racing driver done a lap of the ring flat out in a transit van with no mods besides brake fluid

This is disappointing from Tesla

Elon with his his 15% faster than equivalent class ( aimed at BMW M3) is going to blow up in his face as usual, especially when Porsche release the Taycan which won't have a problem doing a full lap of the ring flat out

Its a few seconds a lap on a tiny track, it's a big deal
Around a long track like the ring its the equivalent of a BMW M3 doing sub 8 min to BMW 335i in mid 8 mins
I guess it's depends on your goals.

If you're trying to set records and win trophies, yes that's a measurable amount.

If you're trying to use the vehicle at all at the track, this is significantly better than the Model S experience.

Won't complete a lap of the ring without power loss on this evidence

A pro racing driver done a lap of the ring flat out in a transit van with no mods besides brake fluid

This is disappointing from Tesla

Elon with his his 15% faster than equivalent class ( aimed at BMW M3) is going to blow up in his face as usual, especially when Porsche release the Taycan which won't have a problem doing a full lap of the ring flat out
Maybe true, but what we don't know is how fast it goes even under reduced power. Could be that it destroys a BMW M3 under full power and then it's times settle in to be still faster per lap the M3 even with the power reductions.
So you don't know if it's disappointing or not at this point.

I think the concerns about a small slowdown (2-3 seconds per 1.5 mile lap) after 3-4 laps are overblown. As the authors noted, many ICE cars have the same issue, and it was small enough to be within the range of driver error.

On Twitter, the Road and Track author said that the P3D was still moving at an “impressive pace” after the small power reduction:

Replying to @markbspiegel and @hoonable
not “limp mode” at all. it was still lapping at an impressive pace!”

I guess it's depends on your goals.

If you're trying to set records and win trophies, yes that's a measurable amount.

If you're trying to use the vehicle at all at the track, this is significantly better than the Model S experience.

Wouldn't bother me at all if Elon didn't say it would be 15% better than equivalent class and then we have power reduction after few mins on track

Maybe true, but what we don't know is how fast it goes even under reduced power. Could be that it destroys a BMW M3 under full power and then it's times settle in to be still faster per lap the M3 even with the power reductions.
So you don't know if it's disappointing or not at this point.

Thats true

If its faster than its rival BMW M3 on track, then fair enough, thats a great achievement

If its slower from the get go and then much slower after power reduction its a different story

Personally I don't think it will be quicker than a BMW M3

At least not high speed tracks

After 80mph the Model 3 P doesn't have anywhere near 450bhp anymore, the BMW M3 will be making up alot of time on the straights, don't think it will handle as well either

Seems like the fwd induction motor might be the Achilles heel of the P3D. The rotor probably heats up and goes into a reduced power mode (a-la- Model S) after a few laps while the switched reluctance PM motor which charges on like a champ, never needing a break from the action. That probably explains the 2 second lap difference. Tesla probably stuck w/ the induction motor to get the AWD out faster and keep the engineering and build cost down. I'm thinking that at some point in the future the fwd motor will be changed to a SRPM which should give it more performance over a longer time.

I can’t think of a good reason why they used induction on the front instead of the SRM motor they have on the back? Just cost?
There has been some discussion that the 0-middle ramp on induction has more punch. The context of the discussion was around why the 0-20 for RWD 3 feels "held back" compared to the "OMG, I'm going to feel sick" that you get from Ludicrous flavors of S/X.

I thought one of the recent reviews included a comment from a Tesla engineer saying torque sleep isn't viable with the mixed motor tech of the Model 3 AWD flavors. I wish I could remember which one so I could include the quote.

Well they can't torque sleep the rear and drive on the front like they do on the S&X. But they can torque sleep the front. (At least that is my understanding.)