TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Road trip 100% charge question

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Leodoc, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Leodoc

Leodoc Member

So I'm taking my first road trip today. A weird thing came up today that I don't understand...

I'm on my third of four scheduled stops.

So I have about 90 miles till my next stop and about another 100 till the final destination yet the trip calculator in the Tesla asked me to charge at this supercharger for an hour...which gets me to nearly 100%.

I obviously don't see the need for it as there would be more than enough range to get to the next supercharger. I don't mind because I'm having lunch but do you guys think this is an error in calculation by the computer?

Thanks

Leo

• Like x 1
  2. X Fan

X Fan Member

Have travelled up and down East Coast since acquisition.

I've found that the Computer is not always accurate. If you do charge to 100% and you have 190 miles to go it is logical (unless traveling at a very high rate of speed into wind with rain) that you would be able to skip the next SC.

btw: which SC's are you looking at?

FWIW: I've found some much faster than others in FL, GA, VA, Md, NJ, NY which would impact your total trip.

3. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Is it planning ahead for a return trip to that last SC?

4. Leodoc

Leodoc Member

So i figured it out....it was my silliness

I was in North lake Florida...and I was looking at the "estimate" I ran on evtripplanner.com. It had me doing in Macon, ga before moving on through Atlanta. Well apparently my model x wanted to skip Macon and go directly to Atlanta...that's why it wanted a near full charge. Needless to say the computer was off...I ended up doing in Macon for a brief charge. I would've never made it to Atlanta

• Like x 1
  5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the car's trip planner is far from perfect, in fact it can offer absurd routeings this is when implementing the tools you should already possess.
    you have a brain and more than likely you are able to do simple calculations, using those basic tools coupled with knowledge of your car's capabilities you should be able to discern how far you can drive on the SOC you have.

• Like x 1
  6. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I agree with others, but add one more item. When the Trip Planner makes initial routing on departure it will often show Supercharger stops that will simply disappear when your actual consumption on the trip is calculated. On most of my own longer trips that happens. When am familiar with the routing I usually manage to estimate my actual needs more closely than does Trip Planner.

If the prognostications are correct update 8.0 will have major improvements to navigation options and performance. I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. A further thought: Waze is far superior to Tesla Nav in accidents, road hazards, construction, etc not to mention excellent rerouting. Wake also has almost all Tesla Superchargers in the database although the nomenclature is not entirely consistent. Normally "Tesla Supercharger [name of location] works pretty well.

7. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I use waze on my iphone in conjuction with the car's nav system, the waze for tesla is ok but unlike the Iphone app it doesn't announce hazards or directions.

• Like x 1
  8. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

This is yet another example showing why the built-in “Beta Trip Planner” is garbage, and I have it disabled. It’s giving charging recommendations based on what stops and charging places it is picking, and even while you drive, it’s changing its mind and switching around to other ones or back to the one you just left, etc. It’s chasing a moving target and is ridiculous. It is changing where you are going, which is not really what a navigation system should be doing. You should be picking where to go, and it should be showing a path to get there. So the simplest, most straightforward, most reliable way, is that YOU pick the next charging stop you’re going to, set that in the navigation, and then charge up how much it takes to get there.

• Like x 1