Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip 2500 miles 2 wks after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Prairie

Model X LR 2022 delivered after 453 days
Supporting Member
Apr 19, 2021
Nebraska
would you take a new 2022 Model X on a 2400 mile trip within 2 wks of delivery? Never had an EV before. Week after delivery , car will be getting full PPF, tint on rear windows, seats ceramic coated. So not much experience w car before travel. Worried about major problems with this computer on wheels. 90% interstate and east coast city driving. Thank you.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
would you take a new 2022 Model X on a 2400 mile trip within 2 wks of delivery? Never had an EV before. Week after delivery , car will be getting full PPF, tint on rear windows, seats ceramic coated. So not much experience w car before travel. Worried about major problems with this computer on wheels. 90% interstate and east coast city driving. Thank you.
we’ve only put 8000 miles on ours since delivery 3 months ago and it’s a Plaid no issues, there is always roadside assistance and warranty if anything goes awry. You bought it enjoy it you will be quite happy you did. P.S. west central Kansas will teach you to drive efficiently.

Upvote 0
Perhaps consider taking a shorter trip somewhere first to get used to the charging and learn the car's battery usage behavior. At a very minimum, I'd suggest testing to make sure the car will supercharge. It's fairly rare, but there have been reports here that a new Tesla would charge on Level 2 but have issues Supercharger. Often those are not technical/mechanical problems, but the issue ends up being account/credit card setup issues. Would still suck to be on the road and having to call Tesla, wait on the phone for 30-40 minutes, to fix that.

We plan to take Model X on a short road trip a two before heading out to Atlanta later on in the year. We took the Model Y on several short road trips (3-400 miles round trip) before embarking on Atlanta earlier this year.

Reactions: Prairie
Upvote 0
i agree take your car on a shorter road trip first. make sure to get the battery level low 20% ish and charge it at a supercharger so you know what it's like

I did alot of roadtrip videos on my YT channel so check those out but you have to plan it out with a better route planner and use things like plugshare as well

Upvote 0
I would be worried about getting it back from PPF in two weeks. PPF and wrap shops scheduling is often a little dicey. Mine was in for wrap PPF for 10 days, predicted seven. Then had to go back for another four days a couple of weeks later. I was very happy with their work, but scheduling accuracy was not great. This also assumes the car is perfect when you get it and needs no service. Mine was nearly perfect, but it still needed a wheel alignment after I got it.

We had a 1000 mile trip on our calendar right after our delivery. I decided to put the new car in the wrap shop while we were gone, and drove our Model 3 for the road trip.

Upvote 0
we’ve only put 8000 miles on ours since delivery 3 months ago and it’s a Plaid no issues, there is always roadside assistance and warranty if anything goes awry. You bought it enjoy it you will be quite happy you did. P.S. west central Kansas will teach you to drive efficiently.
Western Nebraska will too. Trip is from Nebraska to east coast & back in 10 days total. Deeply hoping for no car problems of any sort. It’s a stressful situation requiring drive. And I am not looking forward to traffic and people density increasing exponentially going east. Looking forward to autopilot, lane assist, blind spot monitor, etc.

Upvote 0
Perhaps consider taking a shorter trip somewhere first to get used to the charging and learn the car's battery usage behavior. At a very minimum, I'd suggest testing to make sure the car will supercharge. It's fairly rare, but there have been reports here that a new Tesla would charge on Level 2 but have issues Supercharger. Often those are not technical/mechanical problems, but the issue ends up being account/credit card setup issues. Would still suck to be on the road and having to call Tesla, wait on the phone for 30-40 minutes, to fix that.

We plan to take Model X on a short road trip a two before heading out to Atlanta later on in the year. We took the Model Y on several short road trips (3-400 miles round trip) before embarking on Atlanta earlier this year.
Good idea to test charging stations ahead of trip. I’ve got the CCS adapter too and should check that out. Might be able to get in a few hundred miles before the big one To get a bit familiar with buttons and other gizmos.

Upvote 0
I would be worried about getting it back from PPF in two weeks. PPF and wrap shops scheduling is often a little dicey. Mine was in for wrap PPF for 10 days, predicted seven. Then had to go back for another four days a couple of weeks later. I was very happy with their work, but scheduling accuracy was not great. This also assumes the car is perfect when you get it and needs no service. Mine was nearly perfect, but it still needed a wheel alignment after I got it.

We had a 1000 mile trip on our calendar right after our delivery. I decided to put the new car in the wrap shop while we were gone, and drove our Model 3 for the road trip.
I’ve already scheduled wrap job even without car yet. Only alternative is 16 yr old van. Am really looking forward to autopilot etc to make driving less stressful, tiring. I like driving and seeing the country, just nervous with computer on wheels what with the horror stories on-line.

Upvote 0
Western Nebraska will too. Trip is from Nebraska to east coast & back in 10 days total. Deeply hoping for no car problems of any sort. It’s a stressful situation requiring drive. And I am not looking forward to traffic and people density increasing exponentially going east. Looking forward to autopilot, lane assist, blind spot monitor, etc. So glad to hear you’ve had no issues!

Upvote 0
i agree take your car on a shorter road trip first. make sure to get the battery level low 20% ish and charge it at a supercharger so you know what it's like

I did alot of roadtrip videos on my YT channel so check those out but you have to plan it out with a better route planner and use things like plugshare as well
Love your videos and have seen almost all of them. Quick tips very informative. While getting to know the car on huge road trip sounds OK ( fooling around with different settings, radio, etc), mostly I really want the pluses of autopilot ( will have FSD whenever authorized but not planning on using it, at least not on way out.) 16 yr old van would be OK if I bought new tires but really want the convenience of the MX features For easier driving experience.

Upvote 0
Once I get my refreshed X , I would totally take it on a 2000 mile trip right after delivery with no worries. The car will tell you where to charge and it should only take 15 to 20 minutes. Autopilot makes long distance driving so much easier once you get used to monitoring it. If you want, you can plan your trip in ABRP, you might choose a few different superchargers. I prefer picking hotels at superchargers, but ones with Level 2 chargers are good also.

Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0
Once I get my refreshed X , I would totally take it on a 2000 mile trip right after delivery with no worries. The car will tell you where to charge and it should only take 15 to 20 minutes. Autopilot makes long distance driving so much easier once you get used to monitoring it. If you want, you can plan your trip in ABRP, you might choose a few different superchargers. I prefer picking hotels at superchargers, but ones with Level 2 chargers are good also.

Enjoy your trip.
Thank you For reassurance. I have been playing with ABRP for the past year while waiting…and waiting…and waiting To see if I could go and how in the X vs ICE, summer and winter and wind.

Reactions: Hebert
Upvote 0
Thank you For reassurance. I have been playing with ABRP for the past year while waiting…and waiting…and waiting To see if I could go and how in the X vs ICE, summer and winter and wind.
FYI Francis energy chargers may be popping up in western Nebraska DO NOT trust them for charging they have never worked at any location I’ve ever tried and they have raised my blood pressure extensively trying to call them .

Upvote 0
... So not much experience w car before travel. Worried about major problems with this computer on wheels. 90% interstate and east coast city driving. Thank you.
Just looked at PlugShare starting in Nebraska and on to the East. You will have no issues. Really.

Wife and I have done a Cape Cod~Tucson AZ~Cape Cod run five times since 2019. First time (just the Cape to Tucson) in a Chevy Bolt (don't even think about it...), the others in a Tesla model Y.

Couple of suggestions. The fastest way to travel in an EV is charge up to around 60% at stops and drive the car down to as low as you dare for the next stop. I said this was the fastest way, not the smartest. We like to keep around 20% State of Charge (SoC) in the battery when we get to the next Supercharger. Makes us feel better.

Superchargers are very reliable. Never had one go completely down on us in around 12,000 road miles of EV travel.

We drive at a moderate speed (never over 75mph). Some folks like to zip along at +80. Well, "your mileage may vary" as they say. We (wife and I are pushing 80 yrs of age) like a relaxed trip and the extra few mph really don't amount to much time saved. For example, our normal Cape~AZ trip is done in six days. Some guys can do it in three! No thanks.

You have a beautiful car. Enjoy the ride, by the end of the trip you'll be a pro at EV road travel!!

Rich

Upvote 0

Before taking our new Model X on its first road trip, I did a short shakedown cruise to check out Autopilot functionality. Also did a test charge at a Supercharger, as well as trying out all the adapters I was bringing along. (Pro tip: Bring all of your charging gear on the trip, it won't do any good sitting in your garage.)

Chances are, everything going to be fine, but you'll enjoy the trip more if you take a little time to be sure everything works before you launch. This should be a great way to get acclimated to driving your new EV.

Good luck on delivery, have a great trip and let us know how it goes!

Bruce.

Reactions: Prairie and Bacalao
Upvote 0
Just looked at PlugShare starting in Nebraska and on to the East. You will have no issues. Really.

Wife and I have done a Cape Cod~Tucson AZ~Cape Cod run five times since 2019. First time (just the Cape to Tucson) in a Chevy Bolt (don't even think about it...), the others in a Tesla model Y.

Couple of suggestions. The fastest way to travel in an EV is charge up to around 60% at stops and drive the car down to as low as you dare for the next stop. I said this was the fastest way, not the smartest. We like to keep around 20% State of Charge (SoC) in the battery when we get to the next Supercharger. Makes us feel better.

Superchargers are very reliable. Never had one go completely down on us in around 12,000 road miles of EV travel.

We drive at a moderate speed (never over 75mph). Some folks like to zip along at +80. Well, "your mileage may vary" as they say. We (wife and I are pushing 80 yrs of age) like a relaxed trip and the extra few mph really don't amount to much time saved. For example, our normal Cape~AZ trip is done in six days. Some guys can do it in three! No thanks.

You have a beautiful car. Enjoy the ride, by the end of the trip you'll be a pro at EV road travel!!

Rich
Thank you. My theme music dates from the 1960s So this is my big splurge for next to last or last vehicle. conservative driver so it’s the speed limit unless passing. Did you know it’s illegal to exceed the speed limit when passing that idiot weaving all of the road? Well, it is… good tips from folks and looking forward to drive.

Upvote 0