Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip a Brand New M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. Pretty new here. I’m picking up a M3P on Saturday and , unfortunately, we have a family emergency in Colorado we need to attend to. It’s a 700 mile trip one way.

I’ve mapped it out on the Tesla site and ABRP so no worries there.

What is kinda giving me pause is all the talk about failures of motors and batteries etc. I usually don’t worry about such things as I’m very familiar with car forums. Complaints are what people post. But this is my first Tesla and EV so I gotta ask.

I will have owned this car about a day and a half by the time we leave for a 1,400 mile road trip. If this were any other car I had just purchased, I wouldn’t give it a second thought. So……pack up the Tesla and go? Or drive the wife’s ice? Should I even worry about it breaking down?

Thanks so much!
Personally - you bought it to drive it - glad you took it. Guess the 20" stock wheels were not you favorite. big wheels look great, however the thin sidewalls make it ride firmer. In all my years driving with low profile tires, I only blew one tire on a massive Texas pot hole - which wasn't too bad till I had to buy a new $300 tire. Thankfully I had a spare, or would of had to call a tow truck.

Noting like a road trip to get use to your new Tesla. Once you become familiar with how far you can travel based on the conditions (weather, roads, speed and wind), you'll become a pro at road tripping.

Glad to hear you mom is doing better.

I put 18” TSS on today. Leaving in the morning!
Awesome! 18x8.5 will provide more tire options, rim protection and a smoother ride.

Sell the 20" OEM wheels and tires to recoup your new Tsportline wheels! Not surprised your wh/mi improved, lighter wheels and tires = less rotational mass. The 18" Aeros are more efficient due to the covers over the wheels.

Beat me to it. Seems like every time I read a road trip story for the M3P, blown out tires always are part of the story. And usually bent wheels too.
That is not a trifecta you want on a road trip (blown tire, bent rim and no spare). But 20" wheels with low profile tires look so awesome on the M3P or M3.

With all the money the fed throw at the states and cites for "build back America" trillion dollar bill - our road should be glass smooth and bridges be safe and smooth - just a dream.

867 miles so far and all is good! Even mom is doing better!

BTW…I put 18” Tsportline wheels on and my efficiency went from 332 wh/mi to 273. Seems significantly more efficient.
That's great to hear. I took delivery of my M3P a few weeks ago and it came the same day as our trip to Vegas. Worked out great. If you made it this far without issues, then there's likely very little chance of any issues popping up for the rest of your trip. That's good your mom's doing better!