Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Checks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

After nearly three years with my M3P I am finally going on a bit of a long road trip from North Manchester to Aberdeen.

I just wanted to see if anybody had any tips regarding checks and lessons learned from journeys you have been on?

I know the usual checks apply - tyres (tread/pressure), screen wash, etc. but is there anything else that you would recommend in terms of checks, or even things to take to make the journey as easy/enjoyable as possible?

For info it is just myself and three friends - no kids/pets will be coming along.

Thanks in advance :)

Manchester > Gretna services superchargers
Gretna > Dundee superchargers
Dundee > Aberdeen

You'll arrive in Aberdeen with approx 60% charge if you're doing full 100% topups, option of Aberdeen supercharger if needed, otherwise Aberdeen to Dundee return be at 20-30% charge and then rinse repeat the reverse journey!

Breaks the journey up into manageable chunks.

Otherwise bring a snack :)

Manchester > Gretna services superchargers
Gretna > Dundee superchargers
Dundee > Aberdeen

You'll arrive in Aberdeen with approx 60% charge if you're doing full 100% topups, option of Aberdeen supercharger if needed, otherwise Aberdeen to Dundee return be at 20-30% charge and then rinse repeat the reverse journey!

Breaks the journey up into manageable chunks.

Otherwise bring a snack :)
Depends on starting charge and exactly where in Manchester, but should be able to make Dundee or Perth without stopping comfortably. Still the car will tell you.

Dundees usually pretty quiet. (Get my MY tomorrow but I have been popping in on my normal commute to see how it is at points when i may use it)
I'm doing dundee to Manchester in a couple weeks was planing Gretna then Manchester suc to give me charge for the weekend down there.

Reactions: Toblerone
Dundees usually pretty quiet. (Get my MY tomorrow but I have been popping in on my normal commute to see how it is at points when i may use it)
I'm doing dundee to Manchester in a couple weeks was planing Gretna then Manchester suc to give me charge for the weekend down there.
I really wouldn't attempt to charge at Gretna unless absolutely necessary, only 2 pairs of v1 Superchargers means it's highly likely to be a disappointing experience with a poor services attached. Drive on to Tebay if you can.

Hi all,

After nearly three years with my M3P I am finally going on a bit of a long road trip from North Manchester to Aberdeen.

I just wanted to see if anybody had any tips regarding checks and lessons learned from journeys you have been on?

I know the usual checks apply - tyres (tread/pressure), screen wash, etc. but is there anything else that you would recommend in terms of checks, or even things to take to make the journey as easy/enjoyable as possible?

For info it is just myself and three friends - no kids/pets will be coming along.

Thanks in advance :)
The car is clever enough to plan your charging so just set your destination in the nav and off you go! Isn’t it dual carriageway all the way? Not quite the heroic driving challenge when you are always going to be within a few miles of a Supercharger 😉. Have fun …. And try a “buttery” whilst you’re there. 😀

Reactions: Toblerone
Depends on starting charge and exactly where in Manchester, but should be able to make Dundee or Perth without stopping comfortably. Still the car will tell you.
Can definitely break it up with other combinations for charging, but Gretna is the one i've always used for ease as it meant 2hour odd up, then another 2 and a half hour dundee, and then an hour 15 up to aberdeen > good breaks to rest up and charge.

Manchester to Dundee is not a trip i'd think my Model 3 could do in a one-go, but i'm certainly more cautious than most to try it :)

Some great advice here - thanks all :cool:

Regards charging - i'm not worried about that as, being a seasoned M3P owner now I know what to expect on that front (with the Supercharger suggestion from the car, etc. (I'll be leaving with 100% charge from home in Bolton).

The breaking up of the journey is really good advice 👍 and the snacks - most definitely!

Might as well make the most of this beast whilst i await my M3LR which has already had the date pushed back three times 😒 but that sob story is for another thread🙃

any tips regarding checks and lessons learned from journeys you have been on?

I always check the trip, before departure, in ABetterRoutePlanner - set your Car Model (and, if you like, re-try it with a different car that you might have bought ... or your mate is lumbered with :) ) adjusting for Temperature (e.g. Winter / Summer) and setting WET if that is likely to be the case.

That gives me a plan for where stops are likely. If I know I want to stop at X for a meal then I adjust ABRP for that (e.g. set length of dwell-time to 1 hour ... and I would also endeavour to arrive with no more than 10% to maximise charging-whilst-stationary)

On a long multi-stop trip, such as to Alps for Skiing, I will fiddle with where we might overnight or lunch (10%-100% whilst not actually sitting waiting). I might also fiddle with forcing a charge to, say, 80% .. even 90% maybe ... at some locations to see if it enables me to skip any I might not like the look of - old V2 Supercharger with few stalls / notoriously busy etc.

Watch out for car / SatNav turning on Preconditioning for a Supercharger a long way out - that will use power Natch! but if you, for example, then hit traffic / roadworks you might, otherwise, have had enough range for the next Supercharger along the route. You can add a stop for "near" the Supercharger to avoid that - and then remove that stop when, say, 50 miles out so that SatNav routes via Supercharger and starts preconditioning. (OTA Update may have fixed this by now / at some future point ...)

During the journey I periodically check the Consumption : TRIP TAB to see if the graph of original prediction and current best-estimate are showing arrival SOC as "alarming"!!

I keep predicted-arrival somewhat towards 20% until I am getting close enough that foul weather, spirited driving!, detours are unlikely to have significant impact, and then the closer I get the more comfortable I am with 10%. Indeed, I will speed up to try to get closer to 10% as the car will charge faster that low down (car will charge faster than the charge-lost due to the aero-loss of driving faster ... provided you are not charging at low speed! e.g. a shared V2 stall)

This will be a piece of cake. I did Oxfordshire to north of Aberdeen in one go (550 miles door to door) with 3 quick charging stops in the depths of winter with that horrific snow we had in February and the M3 didn’t miss a beat. Luckily I put on CC2s beforehand mind you. Only had the car a couple of months at that point.

Just trust the satnav to calculate your stops and if concerned then top up a bit more than it recommends.

PS you won’t need midge cream on the east coast unless you wonder into the highlands.

Reactions: TM3PTN