Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip Columbus Oh to DC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should receive my new model S in two or three weeks. I have to go to DC in October and can't decide wether to fly or take my first road trip. Ther are many direct flight options but I kinda want to give it a try in the S. Thoughts....planning assistance...hate DC traffic and not sure yet about destination charging. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

I just did this trip in the opposite direction a few weeks ago. It's nice and easy.

Traffic is much nicer if you have autopilot. Any time you get into a bunch of cars, let your car do the work!

There are three Superchargers along the way (not counting Bethesda, which isn't a very good one to use, and shouldn't be necessary). You only need two of them, but hitting all three can be faster.

The first one is Triadelphia, WV, which is just east of Wheeling. I believe this will be a mandatory stop. There's nothing immediately adjacent to this one except a hotel, so plan accordingly. There are restaurants at the bottom of the hill, which is maybe a five-minute walk, but it's less convenient. The hotel works for basic bathroom services, but doesn't have a restaurant.

The next one is Somerset, PA. There's a Wendy's here and not a whole lot else. This one is skippable if you want, although as everyone will tell you, your fastest speed is attained if you don't skip. (But if you charge enough to skip anyway, because you're having a meal or something, then go for it.)

Next is Hagerstown, WV. This is at an outlet mall with a food court. Beware of the opening hours, especially if you're traveling on a Sunday. This one is skippable as well, but of course you'll have to stop either here or Somerset, you just don't necessarily need both.

Since your hotel has charging, it'll be a real piece of cake!