Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip coming up - STL to Orlando - SC tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So as the title suggests, getting ready to embark on a road trip with my two daughters from St. Louis to Orlando. I've done a pretty lengthy trip already when I first got the car (Phoenix to STL) so familiar with the process. I was just looking for any tips or advice on the SCs I will hit along the way, if any are better/worse than others, harder to get to etc.

I know we will be stopping overnight, looking at Cordelle, GA where there is a destination charger at the hotel, so evtripplanner has sort of a different route than I have taken in ICE cars in the past, through Birmingham rather than Atlanta.

Here is where evtripplanner has me going:

- Mt. Vernon, IL
- Kuttowa, KY
- Nashville-Brentwood
- Athens, AL
- Birmingham, AL
- Auburn, AL

Overnight in Cordele, GA so will leave there with 100% in the a.m. then hit:

- Lake City, FL
- Ocala, FL
- Orlando-W. Sand Lake
(I added this one so I would have charge at our friends house, as I wont have access to anything other than 110 charging there, and also we will need to use this daily when we are going to or from Disney parks, so just wanted to check it out).

Any thoughts on the trip or route would be greatly appreciated! Thanks TMC community!!

Can you park at some of the Disney spots and use a destination charger? Kim of LikeTesla did that, and if you look on Plugshare, there are a bunch of ‘Tesla’ chargers in the area. Limiting yourself to Superchargers when at places for the day really cuts out a lot of opportunities..

(Looks like some of these require valet parking... $$$)

Can you park at some of the Disney spots and use a destination charger? Kim of LikeTesla did that, and if you look on Plugshare, there are a bunch of ‘Tesla’ chargers in the area. Limiting yourself to Superchargers when at places for the day really cuts out a lot of opportunities..

(Looks like some of these require valet parking... $$$)

I've looked a bit, the only charging at the actual parks is through Chargepoint (unless I missed something), the other Tesla 'destination' chargers are at hotels (Waldorf, Four Seasons), which then we would need shuttle or Uber to the parks. I was just planning on having enough to get to the park, and then hit the SC on the way out in the evening. We are staying about 20 miles from Disney, and it is about 15 miles from there to the closest SC, so I should have plenty for the round trip even with a little loss overnight not being plugged in.

Unless there is a great tip that I'm not aware of....

Birmingham SC is inside a pay (surface) parking lot. We stayed there overnight, so not a big deal, but kind of annoying if you're just there for the SC. You might check PlugShare to see if they have any update. No attendant while I was there, it was a machine, so I don't think you could park free for SC like PlugShare said when I was there. Many of the restaurants would validate for free parking if you're making a dinner stop.

I've looked a bit, the only charging at the actual parks is through Chargepoint (unless I missed something), the other Tesla 'destination' chargers are at hotels (Waldorf, Four Seasons), which then we would need shuttle or Uber to the parks. I was just planning on having enough to get to the park, and then hit the SC on the way out in the evening. We are staying about 20 miles from Disney, and it is about 15 miles from there to the closest SC, so I should have plenty for the round trip even with a little loss overnight not being plugged in.

Unless there is a great tip that I'm not aware of....
Yeah, it looks like they are at the resort hotels AND are valet parking. Talk about double whammy.....

The Orlando Superchargers may actually be the best bet unless the stars align!

So as the title suggests, getting ready to embark on a road trip with my two daughters from St. Louis to Orlando. I've done a pretty lengthy trip already when I first got the car (Phoenix to STL) so familiar with the process. I was just looking for any tips or advice on the SCs I will hit along the way, if any are better/worse than others, harder to get to etc.

I know we will be stopping overnight, looking at Cordelle, GA where there is a destination charger at the hotel, so evtripplanner has sort of a different route than I have taken in ICE cars in the past, through Birmingham rather than Atlanta.

Here is where evtripplanner has me going:

- Mt. Vernon, IL
- Kuttowa, KY
- Nashville-Brentwood
- Athens, AL
- Birmingham, AL
- Auburn, AL

Overnight in Cordele, GA so will leave there with 100% in the a.m. then hit:

- Lake City, FL
- Ocala, FL
- Orlando-W. Sand Lake
(I added this one so I would have charge at our friends house, as I wont have access to anything other than 110 charging there, and also we will need to use this daily when we are going to or from Disney parks, so just wanted to check it out).

Any thoughts on the trip or route would be greatly appreciated! Thanks TMC community!!

Just south of your overnight destination charge in Tifton, GA SuperChargers are at the bottom of the ramp, behind the StarBucks if you need a quick cup of Joe.

You may want to add a stop at the Turkey Lake SupeCharger on the Turnpike just before your exit #259 I-4 to Mouse Land & Orlando.

Thanks for all the tips!

On the road and all is going well so far. One interesting note...used evtripplanner to get our route ahead of time, and it has us going through Birmingham. However when I put in the Tesla nav, it has us going through Atlanta.

Anyone have any thoughts? I would rather not do Atlanta as there is always gobs of traffic, but wasn't sure about the stretch between Auburn SC and our overnight destination in Cordele.

Thanks for all the tips!

On the road and all is going well so far. One interesting note...used evtripplanner to get our route ahead of time, and it has us going through Birmingham. However when I put in the Tesla nav, it has us going through Atlanta.

Anyone have any thoughts? I would rather not do Atlanta as there is always gobs of traffic, but wasn't sure about the stretch between Auburn SC and our overnight destination in Cordele.

Around what time is it estimating that you'll be in Atlanta? The Supercharger at Atlantic Station should definitely be avoided if you're getting to Atlanta anywhere near 3pm-8pm unless you just like sitting in your car for extended periods of time...

Around what time is it estimating that you'll be in Atlanta? The Supercharger at Atlantic Station should definitely be avoided if you're getting to Atlanta anywhere near 3pm-8pm unless you just like sitting in your car for extended periods of time...
It would probably be around 8pm...so we will likely go via Birmingham and Auburn. Seems a little more peaceful!