Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip: Door Drama Galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just took a 400 mile road trip (CA --> AZ and back).

Two major doors issues cropped up (we have 2017 100D)

1. Falcon doors (both) stopped opening in Arizona. We initially chalked up to 100 degree weather and the knowledge that direct sunlight sometimes tricks the doors (we live in San Diego). However, this was neither door opening at all believing an obstacle. When we asked two other Model X owners at a Supercharger in AZ, we tested the doors and both other Model X doors opened fully 100% at the charger, in sunlight, in 100 degrees, and ours would not. Sensor issue?

2. The front driver door (we have the automatic door system) stopped opening. You click the door handle and hear sounds of mechanics, but then it wont open. So now you have to open door through passenger side. Any ideas?

Thanks!
tay

For the FWD, try rebooting if you haven't already. Once my passenger FWD would not close all the way, and I was very annoyed at the constant warning chime while driving. I contacted the roadside assistance folks and they told me what I should have already known which was first try a reboot. That fixed it. If that doesn't work, yes, I would guess there is a hardware sensor issue. I open my drivers side FWD in my garage all the time, and the car always senses my boat and the garage door and only opens partially.

My car is also starting to act up just a bit on the drivers automatic door opening. Sometimes it will make more mechanical noise than it does other times, but so far, it has always opened eventually. Not a big issue for me yet.

What I do love is the fact that the auto opener will initially crack the door open just a little bit when you walk up on the car from the front and wait until you walk PAST the drivers door to get in, and then open completely. That is NICE.

2. The front driver door (we have the automatic door system) stopped opening. You click the door handle and hear sounds of mechanics, but then it wont open. So now you have to open door through passenger side. Any ideas?
I believe this is a common issue for your vintage of the Model X, should be covered under warranty if you aren't beyond the mileage. I'm not sure whether or not one should expect it to recur after the warranty repair (it is possible that the latch was revised and the replacement latch shouldn't have the same problem, that would explain why newer Model X don't necessarily have this issue).

just took a 400 mile road trip (CA --> AZ and back).

Two major doors issues cropped up (we have 2017 100D)

1. Falcon doors (both) stopped opening in Arizona. We initially chalked up to 100 degree weather and the knowledge that direct sunlight sometimes tricks the doors (we live in San Diego). However, this was neither door opening at all believing an obstacle. When we asked two other Model X owners at a Supercharger in AZ, we tested the doors and both other Model X doors opened fully 100% at the charger, in sunlight, in 100 degrees, and ours would not. Sensor issue?

Thanks!
tay

tesla has already went through about 3+ front door latch designs. V1 all almost fail, v2 are more dependable but still really slam, v3 the same but more controlled close and reliable. They will just update what you have. They did both of ours even though just the driver side died.

I have 2016 MX P100D, and the drivers door started making extra electric motor sounds, taking too long to open. I made a SC appointment, and they confirmed there was a latch issue and replaced both original front door latches with the newer latches, under warranty. Now no sound at all from the opening of the door, and door opens and closes as intended.

The fact that both falcon wing doors stopped working at the same time leads me to believe your overhead sensor, located in the roof between the 2 doors, failed or became misaligned. This one sensor for overhead obstacles supports both doors.
It would be an unlikely coincidence if both FWD side sensors failed at exactly the same time.

The fact that both falcon wing doors stopped working at the same time leads me to believe your overhead sensor, located in the roof between the 2 doors, failed or became misaligned. This one sensor for overhead obstacles supports both doors.
It would be an unlikely coincidence if both FWD side sensors failed at exactly the same time.

this seems likely. I wonder if you can over ride the sensor with the “fully open at this location” button in the door screen...

tesla has already went through about 3+ front door latch designs. V1 all almost fail, v2 are more dependable but still really slam, v3 the same but more controlled close and reliable. They will just update what you have. They did both of ours even though just the driver side died.

Is there a part number for the newer version? I had my latches updates earlier this year and I’m curious what version I got.

Update:

1. Falcon Doors - Replaced both cladding capacitive sensors
2. Driver Door - Replaced actuator
3. Battery (reduced) - Something about software / calculations / looking into + education (blah blah)

Reactions: Solarman004