Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - Down to 8%

adsheff

Sep 9, 2019
UK
I'm planning a longish drive in my LR Model 3, and based on a better route planner, I'd be arriving at a supercharger site with 8% left on the battery.

Is this ill advised? Does the car go into power saving mode at a certain point? If the superchargers aren't working (unlikely, I know), how far can I expect to go on 8%.

Thanks

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
Going to 8% is fine, but you aren’t leaving yourself much margin for the unexpected. On freeways, you can generally extend the range when things are looking bad by slowing down and/or drafting a semi.

Tesla doesn’t have a dedicated turtle mode like some manufacturers. Instead, it’ll progressively start limiting power output just like it does for overheated components. I think that starts somewhere below 5% but I’m not quite sure.

8% should leave you around 25 more miles.

Supercharger status is updated on the center screen in near real time now, so it shouldn’t be possible for it to be down without you knowing it unless it suddenly fails just as you are arriving.

Reactions: NoMoGas

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
I'm planning a longish drive in my LR Model 3, and based on a better route planner, I'd be arriving at a supercharger site with 8% left on the battery.

Is this ill advised? Does the car go into power saving mode at a certain point? If the superchargers aren't working (unlikely, I know), how far can I expect to go on 8%.

Thanks

It depends on how you have ABRP configured and whether your car is stock. There are tons of ABRP options. If that is at 120% reference speed it is probably fine.

Is this the first Supercharger stop or is the arrival % being set by how much you charge at the previous charger?

It usually makes sense to leave a bit of margin, charge a bit higher, so you can travel faster and do not have to slow down. Traveling 10mph slower for an hour wastes a lot of time!

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Also the Nav station will come up with a warning that says you will need to reduce speed to 100km etc. to make it to that destination. So you do get plenty of warning.

Fred

Rockster

Oct 22, 2013
McKinney, TX
When I'm making a trip and there's any concern at all about my state of charge at the end, I make a point of driving more slowly during the first part of the trip, just to build up some extra margin. I find it far more relaxing to do it that way than to be forced to slow down during the second half of the trip because I have no choice.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
San Diego to Barstow Ca, I will have to keep it down to 60-65 to be on the safe side, will be making this trip 2nd week of Nov. will post back on the results and if I had to get towed lol.

634D7F2D-455D-4E13-8A39-B01DC7C9506E.jpeg

Reactions: Nocturnal

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine

Thanks
ABRP is very good at predicting, but it depends upon how good the inputs are. Since this sounds like your first time using it for a longish drive, I'd consider 15% until you understand what does and what doesn't affect range. Also, keep the webpage up "live" while you drive to get a sense of whether you need to slow down to make your destination.

Most important factors, speed, temp, wind, road conditions. You can input all of those, but wind is hard to judge, so realize that even with detailed inputs, you can still be off on your prediction. That's why "live" monitoring is useful.

Reactions: mswlogo

derotam

Oct 31, 2018
Oak Hill, VA

Thanks

It's fine as long as you have an alternate plan in case you see as you drive that you might not make it. :)

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
ABRP has it as Max speed 53mph while the Tesla Nav has it under 70mph above, wonder if I have ABRP set up correctly.

81E4A834-828E-4449-85F4-2C189016559A.jpeg

AlanSubie4Life

Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
ABRP has it as Max speed 53mph while the Tesla Nav has it under 70mph above, wonder if I have ABRP set up correctly.

View attachment 466793

This is not a segment you can do in an SR+ at California freeway speeds. 2200 feet of elevation gain does not help. You'll save a lot of time charging in San Bernardino, assuming it's not overrun. 72kW not much of a penalty in an SR. It's too bad there isn't a decent 150kW Supercharger along I-215. Maybe they'll add more 250kW chargers at some point.

This basically assumes 78mph freeway speeds (and minimal battery degradation), which is hopefully what you'd be doing.

A Better Routeplanner
Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 12.15.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 12.16.31 PM.png

Last edited:

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
On some previous long multi-state trips I've found it's pretty easy to make ABRP overestimate your consumption and to not try and outsmart the defaults by fiddling with the settings too much.

On the other hand, I've always been very impressed with the in-car nav. It's almost always within 1-2% of its original estimate.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
I will definitely keep with the in-car Nav. At 100% 240 miles it shows me to keep it under 75mph and arriving with 5%. Already done this trip to Vegas twice while stopping at multiple stations but hammering it at 80 - 90mph. what I’m trying to do here is make only 1 stop in between San Diego & Vegas. Will be a nail biter for sure.

Fred

AlanSubie4Life

Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
I will definitely keep with the in-car Nav. At 100% 240 miles it shows me to keep it under 75mph and arriving with 5%. Already done this trip to Vegas twice while stopping at multiple stations but hammering it at 80 - 90mph. what I’m trying to do here is make only 1 stop in between San Diego & Vegas. Will be a nail biter for sure.

Fred

If you can camp out 2-3 seconds behind someone going a decent speed with decent frontal area, you might make it, even at 75mph. Seems like a stretch though. Depends on the headwinds & crosswinds - check before you go. Good luck; let us know.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
If you can camp out 2-3 seconds behind someone going a decent speed with decent frontal area, you might make it, even at 75mph. Seems like a stretch though. Depends on the headwinds & crosswinds - check before you go. Good luck; let us know.
Max speeds will be 65, will set that so I won’t go over, also I will look for some semi to draft behind on flat roads and long stretches. Will have plug share to back me up for CHAdeMO or L2 if needed.

Thanks

Fred

adsheff

Sep 9, 2019
UK
Thanks for the replies very helpful.

One thing that bugs me is the remaining battery display. When it's set to display miles, it just shows 310 or a portion thereof, and doesn't seem to adjust based on your driving. The Guessometer in the Leaf would adjust as you drove, which, though not that accurate, gave a much better idea of how far you will go. This morning I have it saying "208 miles" (67%), but it predicts my 156 mile journey will take it down to 8%. That would mean a total range of 264 miles, so 67% should display as 177 miles.

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
Thanks for the replies very helpful.

One thing that bugs me is the remaining battery display. When it's set to display miles, it just shows 310 or a portion thereof, and doesn't seem to adjust based on your driving. The Guessometer in the Leaf would adjust as you drove, which, though not that accurate, gave a much better idea of how far you will go. This morning I have it saying "208 miles" (67%), but it predicts my 156 mile journey will take it down to 8%. That would mean a total range of 264 miles, so 67% should display as 177 miles.

Trying to guess based on your past driving will always be wrong, because the next mile is never quite the same as the last mile. Rated miles are at least predictable.

Tesla does give you a mileage based on average consumption, but only in the center console energy screen.

Tesla’s real time battery percentage on arrival is one of the best tools anyone is offering right now, both in terms of accuracy and in terms of ease of use.

One thing I wish they would do is give some way of comparing your current consumption with the predicted consumption - they have the cumulative battery percentage over time in the center screen, but no guide for instantaneous usage (maybe a block chart in a different color in the power/energy display overlaying the energy usage?)

GM does something sorta like that - the Bolt gives three ranges at all times, a minimum and maximum as well as a predicted, and has trending where the bars scroll towards which side you’re tending closer to at the moment.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
GM does something sorta like that - the Bolt gives three ranges at all times, a minimum and maximum as well as a predicted, and has trending where the bars scroll towards which side you’re tending closer to at the moment.
(I have a '19 Bolt.) IIRC, it's been mentioned that the GM Bolt GOM with its min and max are simply 18% above and below the middle value.

Example: The preview shot at Close Call: Watch Chevy Bolt EV 200+ Mile Highway Range Test seems to confirms that. 198 * 1.18 = 233.64. 198 * 0.82 = 162.36

• Informative
Reactions: Saghost

Saghost

Oct 9, 2013
Delaware
(I have a '19 Bolt.) IIRC, it's been mentioned that the GM Bolt GOM with its min and max are simply 18% above and below the middle value.

Example: The preview shot at Close Call: Watch Chevy Bolt EV 200+ Mile Highway Range Test seems to confirms that. 198 * 1.18 = 233.64. 198 * 0.82 = 162.36
Well, that’s disappointing and rather less useful than I thought.

I have no experience with it, and I’ve only seen a little discussion of it.

From the little I had seen, I was thinking the upper and lower limits were fixed Wh/mile values based on typical best and worst cases, with your historical consumption floated into the middle and then trending towards one or the other.

Not sure there’s much value in just showing you a 36% band around your estimated range. :-/

Reactions: cwerdna

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC