Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - Down to 8%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why risk it? Remember these are just planners not words to live by.
I do my own calculation on any road trip. A 100 mile leg is 100X1.2 (1.2 accounts for highway speed) + buffer (40miles). When I see range of 160 miles, I depart to next S/C.

Trying to guess based on your past driving will always be wrong, because the next mile is never quite the same as the last mile. Rated miles are at least predictable.

That's true however, if you have a trip programmed in then it has the data to make more accurate predictions, because it is shown on the Trip graph view. I'd find it very useful to have this info on the main screen.

I always aim to arrive at 8%. That way, you maximize the amount of time supercharging in the fast zone (8%-40% ish). I only stay at the supercharger until it says I'm arriving at the next supercharger with 8%. Over the course of a road trip you can cut time spent charging in half using this strategy. See A Better Routeplanner
Good advice. I use Better Routeplannner, but have just started so taking it with a pinch of salt - the wind speed you set makes a massive difference to it's calculations, and a long journey in the UK means you can move between a lot of different wind directions and speeds.

No problem with this. BUT keep in mind that ABRP is an estimator and no estimator is perfect. So when using it experiment some. What happens if a 20 mph head wind comes up? What happens if it starts to rain? If you are on your way to an anvil collectors show, what's the effect of carrying the samples you are planning to take? More important, when looking at the route, note where you can pick up a supplemental charge if you find that conditions change during a trip.

Most important is to continuously monitor the energy display during the trip. It will, at every step of the way, give you a prediction of destination SoC and show you where your consumption was better or worse than pre trip prediction (the car's - not ABRP's). If the actual line is above the prediction line, Bob's your uncle but if it drops below and stays below with arrival SoC being lower than you are comfortable with, stop and get some charge.

If you know how you can do all this without having to use the display. The consumption shown on the OD's and the battery SoC indicator are sufficient but until you learn your car the energy graph is the best source of info.

Last edited:
No problem with this. BUT keep in mind that ABRP is an estimator and no estimator is perfect. So when using it experiment some. What happens if a 20 mph head wind comes up? What happens if it starts to rain? If you are on your way to an anvil collectors show, what's the effect of carrying the samples you are planning to take? More important, when looking at the root, note where you can pick up a supplemental charge if you find that conditions change during a trip.

It virtually always takes longer to stop at a level 2 charger instead of cutting your speed by 10 mph when the car tells you to. Worst case scenario- dropping to 40-50 mph can almost double your range which would add maybe 20 mins to your leg.

I'm planning a longish drive in my LR Model 3, and based on a better route planner, I'd be arriving at a supercharger site with 8% left on the battery.
I didn't see you list between what cites your drive is. I'm checking, because sometimes some planning tools may show doing a longer segment that they think you can make, and it is skipping over a Supercharger. I could try to do a route that shows an 8% margin, but if there is an option for a 15 minute refill in the middle, I might take that.

Well, that’s disappointing and rather less useful than I thought.

I have no experience with it, and I’ve only seen a little discussion of it.
Not sure there’s much value in just showing you a 36% band around your estimated range. :-/
The math behind min/max calculations, and the energy usage score was a post about the 18% up and down. However, one guy there posted a weird counterexample where his min was much less than 82% of his middle GOM value. Not sure what was up with that.

I don't pay close attention to the Bolt's silly GOM. It's about as silly as my Leaf's crap GOM.

• Informative
Reactions: Saghost
Keep in mind that ABRP is running some type of optimization algorithm but that it does not always find the global optimum. It even puts a caveat to that effect on the screen. I other words it pays to play around some. I can often come up with a plan that is better than the best ABRP offers.

Also you may want to avoid some SC that ABRP chooses because, for example, it has a reputation for being crowded. Conversely you may want to pick one that ABRP hasn't because, for example, there is a restaurant there you like.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H