TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Road Trip - East Coast to West Coast

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ALLMYNE, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

Taking my 1st long road trip in my MX100D
    Seems to me ABetterRoutePlanner has been the simplest and cleanest guide to use to prepare
    Will be leaving Charlotte, NC - Las Vegas, NV - LA, CA

Is there anything I should have the local SC look over prior to leaving or just go and have fun?
    Any other suggestions or advice are welcome

2. David29

David29 Member

Not sure what you'd ask the SC to check except perhaps tires and check for loose or worn suspension/brake components. The likelihood of problems there would depend on how many miles you have driven, and over what roads.
    One other thing i did before I had s short vacation this past summer was to ask the SC to show me where my tow hook was, because I had not been able to find it. My Model S has one, your Model X may not. It was handy to have it and to print out the towing instructions as a precaution. They also showed me how to remove the nosecone to install the tow hook. You have no nose cone to remove, of course, but you get the idea.

Then there is the question of what tools and emergency provisions to carry with you. One basic suggestion is to carry the Tesla tire inflator kit, which has some goopy stuff that might be able to stop an air leak in a pinch. It is compact and only costs $50. I got mine at the local service center. I printed out the instructions for how to use it and packaged them with the inlator so i would not have to go looking for them in an emergency.

There are other threads with lots of suggestions. As I recall, people suggest a wide range of emergency stuff to carry with you, including spare tires and a jack (if you have the space), water, food, blankets, flashlight(s), toe rope, etc.

In our short vacation, we needed neither the tire inflator or the towing instructions, but i felt better knowing I had them.

Good luck, and have fun!

3. arcus

arcus Member

We packed tire inflator, drinkable water and some energy bars, windshield cleaning acessories and an emergency mediacal kit... that's about it.

Godspeed and have fun!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

Have a USB drive with music if you encounter locations without cellular signal. Texas had a few locations that dropped out in the past on I-40.

A windshield squeegee and small tray for soapy water can be helpful at the Supercharger. I carry extra gallons of drinking water and added a drop or two of hair shampoo to the tray when necessary.

A tire pressure check before driving from home is a must for any vehicle. This is especially important when maximum weight limits are reached.

With your larger windshield, have a couple of head visors to reduce glare as needed.

• Helpful x 1
  5. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

Here are some brief notes on my recent (early June 2017) trip from Charlotte, NC to San Francisco. Did it in my ’15 85D with my wife and small dog. The trip was a breeze - most of the miles were on autopilot, and we gave ourselves 7 days to complete the drive. Only saw 5 Teslas until we crossed into California. If Tesla had a supercharger between Little Rock and Oklahoma City, we could have saved a couple hundred miles at least.

Day 1 - Charlotte, NC to Nashville, TN
    Superchargers: Asheville, Knoxville
    Destination charger at Hutton Hotel, Nashville

Day 2 - Nashville, TN to Little Rock, AR
    Superchargers: Jackson, Memphis, Little Rock
    Destination charger at Holiday Inn - Airport, Little Rock
    Railroad buffs will enjoy the Jackson supercharger - located right next to the Casey Jones birthplace/museum.
    Side trip to Conway, AR to visit family.

Day 3 - Little Rock, AR to Burkburnett, TX
    Superchargers: Texarkana, Sulphur Springs, Denton
    Destination charger at Best Western, Burkburnett, TX
    Sulphur Springs may have been our favorite supercharger stop of the trip - located next to an interesting Main Street with several shops/restaurants.

Day 4 - Burkburnett, TX to Albuquerque, NM
    Superchargers: Childress, Amarillo, Tucumcari, Santa Rosa, Albuquerque
    Couldn’t find a destination charger hotel, so settled for Staybridge Suites near the airport.

Day 5 - Albuquerque, NM to Sedona, AZ
    Superchargers: Gallup, Holbrook, Flagstaff
    Destination charger at Best Western Inn at Sedona
    Highly recommend Sedona but beware that there is serious road construction on the 2-lane road down into the canyon from Flagstaff. Several miles of dirt and gravel. Still worth the drive, in my opinion.

Day 6 - Sedona, AZ to Barstow, CA
    Superchargers: Kingman, Needles, Barstow
    Stayed at Ayres Hotel in Barstow (location of the Supercharger)
    Very windy all day but no range issues. Took 12-mile side trip to see Meteor Crater.

Day 7 - Barstow, CA to San Francisco
    Superchargers: Buttonwillow, Harris Ranch, Gustine

• Informative x 1
  6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I don't know if any X's ever had the tow hook storage cranny in the frunk that the pre-fresh S's had. New ones have it 'placed' there on delivery and the storage place is in the 'other' compartment of the UMC (charger) bag. There's a loop you have to 'screw' it into, but it's better there than it banging around in the frunk or rear storage. Definitely good to have a 12VDC tire inflator in case you need to top off a tire in the middle of nowhere!

Note that on many tires (ones with the foam inside), using the tire sealant will ruin the tire, so, be sure it's acceptable for the tires you have on your car! Many threads here about that.

Looking forward to doing a trip like this myself soon!

• Helpful x 1
  7. arcus

arcus Member

Amazingly, we had the same number of supercharger stops on our S75. Fully agree on Jackson and Sulphur Springs. Little known jewels on the road.

• Like x 1
  8. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

Thanks man......Denton is one of my stops and excited to see In-N-Out burger is there tooooooooo

9. 365gtb4

365gtb4 Member

I've done three cross country road trips, two in the S and one in the X. No problems at all. We changed the way we travel. When charging we get out and walk. A twenty minute walk keeps us fit. Do explore the neighborhood of the chargers. Some are really interesting. Tesla has done a great job of siting them.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. arcus

arcus Member

If I may suggest something sligthly better (depends on your schedule): RG Burgers & Grill. It is off Loop 288. You won't regret it :)

11. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I just came back from North Carolina to Texas. The lack of TX heat had all 4 tire pressure sensors throw low pressure warnings at one point. The tire repair/inflator came in handy.

We accidentally discovered that we could pass by the last supercharger stop of the night if there was a destination charger beyond it that we could comfortably reach. Then the next day, we would be at 100% SOC and could pass by the first supercharger as well. That cut out two supercharger stops each day.

It was, by far, the best road trip I've ever done. Have fun!

• Informative x 1
  12. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

#12 purplewalt, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    If you had gone Little Rock to Bentonville, AR and spent the night @ 21c Museum Hotel as destination charge (they
    have two HPWCs and one or two other L2 charging ports), then you could have gone on to Supercharger @ Catoosa, OK, then OKC.
    That would have saved you some distance and driving time.
    Maybe even visit the Crystal Bridges Museum within walking distance of 21c.

But if you had taken that route, you would have missed out on Sulphur Springs, TX.
    I have been to both Bentonville and Sulphur Springs town squares/downtowns. Love them both, both are unique.

More direct route or Silver Lining surprises?

Some day, a Supercharger in Ft. Smith or Fayetteville in NW Arkansas and maybe one more in Oklahoma South of Tulsa will complete the I-40 Supercharger route.

• Informative x 1
  13. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

Great tip - I did try to find destination chargers to fill that gap but missed that one. Next time I will definitely try to stay there.