Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made it home yesterday. Nothing special happened on the way back. Feeling real comfortable with Tesla road-tripping now.

Love: Auto-steer, Lane Change Assist, TACC (zero phantom brake incidents the whole way back …… but the car did slam on the brakes to avoid hitting some dope who cut me off one time, thankfully), the SC experience, smooth quiet ride, navigation system, I could go on …….

Meh: Hotel destination chargers (not enough of them, not at hotels I want to stay at, not maintained, sometimes ICEd) …. I didn’t bother seeking them out on the way back.

Don’t love: NoA, Summon (neither worth the money to me)

I would definitely buy Lane Change Assist if I could get it a-la-carte. Or maybe not ….. I don’t take road trips every day.

That being said, I love the car and I’m looking forward to the next road-trip.

Not actually sure I really need ABRP to plan my road trips, either. Not really going anywhere exotic. Got a hunch the Tesla system would get me there just fine. I’m gonna try that next time.

Well …… last night was interesting. We’re in an Airbnb which is a basement apartment entered through a sliding door from the driveway. Our car is parked right in front of the sliding door, headlights pointing at the door. We’ve been leaving sentry mode on.

Up to last night, sentry was picking up others who live in this home arriving home late or leaving early …….. there are a couple other cars that park in this driveway. No prob ……. 2-3 sentry videos to delete each morning.

Last night though, we were awakened at around 2:30am because the headlights were flashing every couple of minutes. As though we were having a sentry event every 1.5 to 2 minutes. It’s a little foggy in my mind, but I think there might have been very light rain falling. Anyway …. After investigating a little and finding nothing wrong, we went back to bed.

2 minutes later the headlights flashed again …….. and I shut sentry mode off so we could go back to sleep.

This morning, the car reported 79 sentry events ……. But there were zero video recordings. None.

Wierd.

Car is now in driveway with sentry mode on and nothing his happening.

🤷‍♂️
I had that happen when visiting my daughter in Portland. It was parked on the street, under a tree. Rained heavy that night. The next morning my car reported 420 entry events. What I think happened, the heavy rain weighed down a branch, and with the wind, the branch kept hitting the car all night. No damage, but a full USB drive the next day.

Thought I’d start a little journal here for my first road trip. Might be interesting to some ….. but feel free to ignore if not.

Heading from NE Mississippi up to northern NJ to welcome our first grandchild. Fairly big moment for us.

So I have way over-planned everything with the car. Got all the supercharger stops planned out with ABRP. Real nice app by the way. Adjusted a few of the settings to be closer to actual car performance …… and subscribed to the extra features so I could have real-time weather (headwind, etc) updates. All overnight stops are at hotels with Tesla destination chargers. Got me a variety of plugs and a backup charging kit ……. Plus a nice long 10 gauge extension cord for trickle charging at our Airbnb up there (hopefully). Loaded up the frunk with some windshield and front bumper cleaning gear. Got my tire plug kit, scissor jack, and inflator in the sub-trunk, plus a portable battery charger in the frunk, and even a teeny weeny little 12v battery tucked in the front bumper where the leads are in case I need to pop the frunk without power from the car. And a cooler up in the frunk for goodies.

Oh ….. and I also subscribed to FSD to have something to play around with on the way. Hopefully I won’t freak out my wife too much.

Like I said …. Way over-planned. Sort of my thing.

First leg is this afternoon heading up to Nashville to drop off the geriatric, special needs, cat at a special needs, rather expensive, boarding place. Trust me ….. if we left the cat here under the watchful eyes of our local teenager …….. we’d have to burn the house down when we got back. Charging up to 100% prior to departure. Should leave us 20% or so after dropping off cat, picking up some odds-and-ends at a Whole Foods (really big, special, deal for us given where we live), and making it to the hotel with destination chargers. And there’s a supercharger pretty close by in case everything’s ICEd at the hotel.

I’ll post updates along the way …… at least until I get bored. Or if I get totally distracted by some big emergency.
How do you plant to lift the car without pucks? Please don’t use that jack without pucks…

Great trip report and mirrors our experiences. This should be required reading for new Tesla owners about to embark on their first road trip. We have another 2K mile trip planned for Sept and may consider renting FSD just to check it out.

I hope the SuperCharger experiences don't suffer after Tesla opens up to other manufactures. If I want a bad road trip charging experience I could buy any other EV.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
Not actually sure I really need ABRP to plan my road trips, either. Not really going anywhere exotic. Got a hunch the Tesla system would get me there just fine. I’m gonna try that next time.
The main thing I use ABRP for, is the arrival SoC. I'll set the arrival SoC to something like 50%, since often times when I arrive somewhere, there isn't a charger where I'll be, or I'll know we'll be doing a lot of driving around town. This way, I can see how high I need to charge at the last stop, and have the desired arrival SoC. This also works wonders for pre-planning, so I can plug in various places, so I'll know how much charge it will take to get from various places to other places, since I can't charge where I'm staying at. That way, I'll know how much charge I need to have when I turn in for the night, and still have enough charge to do what I need to do the next day. I just did that this past weekend, so I knew how much charge I needed at the last charger, to hit the childrens museum, dinner, check in on our rental property, and still have enough charge to make it to the supercharger on the way home. If I were to rely on the Tesla Nav the whole time, it would often have me arrive at my destination with 10% charge. Sometimes that won't cut it, as the nearest supercharger on the way out, will take more than 10% charge to reach.

Yeah - I like that, too. I actually jumped in the car the other day and put in my NJ destination to see what would happen. In addition to arrival SOC, I immediately missed a few other ABRP features.

What? The car shows you predicted state of charge for arrival at your destination. It’s at the bottom of the trip outline (scroll down to the bottom of the list) and updates in real time as you drive.