Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip from Bucks County, PA to Manhattan and then Long Island and Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to take a trip to visit my friend who lives in Queens and really wanted to check out my new ride yesterday. I also combined it with driving my wife to an event in midtown Manhattan.

In preparation, I did my very first max range charge and topped out at 268 rated miles.

First stop was Midtown Manhattan, and that was accomplished via the US-1 and NJTP route to the Lincoln Tunnel. 78 miles distance. I arrived with 183 miles remaining on battery so I ate up 85 rated miles to drive 78, not bad considering I was averaging 50 mph for the US1 portion with lots of traffic and lights and 70-80 on the NJTP.

From there I drove to Queens (Bellerose) to visit my friend (18 miles via I-495), where he got behind the wheel to drive to Roosevelt Field Mall (13 miles via Northern State Pwky since he wanted highway driving). He really opened her up practically drag racing it along the roads. I was surprised we did not get pulled over. We arrived at Roosevelt Field Mall with 140 rated miles.

We had a nice dinner while the MS charged in the Tesla Store charging area in the garage near Nordstrom's. There were two fast chargers, a HPWC which was taken up by the while P85 with gray 21s that is likely the demo car for the store, and a Roadster HPC that was open. At first I despaired a bit because I don't have the $650 adapter, but was happy to discover that this store (unlike King of Prussia) actually leaves the adapter on there! So plugged in and got 204V @ 68A for 43mi/hr charge speed.

By the time I left the mall, I was back up to 251 rated miles! Here is where things went a bit awry - apparently the Tesla version of Google Maps interpreted the downtown address as somewhere near Sea Gate, which I did not notice until pretty much almost there. I was too busy enjoying the Belt Parkway at night to realize I was taking the really long way around! It turned a 25 mile trip back to midtown Manhattan into a 42 mile jaunt in a circle! Lesson learned - always verify the destination visually on the big map! I got back to Manhattan with just a hair over 200 miles remaining, pretty much since I was going an unmentioned speed on the Belt Parkway especially in the newly re-done sections where they are right on the water.

Picking up the wife, we headed home via Lincoln tunnel again to the NJTP and via exit 7A to I-195 and finally via US-1 to home. All in all 82 miles distance. I was going pretty fast on the empty turnpike with my average WH/mi hovering under 400 so as expected, I arrived home with about 90 miles on the battery.

Trip kWH spend then is 279, of which 111 was free juice. That means that only 168 was charged at home at 7c/kWH = $11.70.

Very educational trip in the mechanics of Tesla Road Trips! I am quite happy with the experience!

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    133.3 KB · Views: 313
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    204 KB · Views: 282
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    826.4 KB · Views: 320
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    927.4 KB · Views: 306
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 269
Sounds like a success to me! Love that you ventured out like this on your first weekend. I'll be taking mine down to southern delaware which I shall refer to as "charging station wasteland." I have poked around a bit down there and found some open public outlets and I'll ask their owners if I can borrow their power!

Good real world test - Still loving it?

Sounds like a great trip - plenty of room in the 85kwh pack when I had a loaner! Sometime soon there should be a supercharger near NJTP so there will be another option in the middle of that trip.

Btw, are you often in Bucks Co? I work some days near Oxford Valley mall...

I live 15 minutes from Oxford Valley - pretty much a straight shot on US-1 for me. I also have a 100A (80A) HPWC... Come charge sometime ;)

If a Roadster HPWC, I'd take you up on that... unfortunately cannot connect to Model S HPWC (yet). They only have the adapter for the other way so far. :frown:

I head down US-1 about 30 min, from NJ. If you're around during the week maybe we can grab coffee at some point.