Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip from McAllen to Plano, TX

get-atty

Mar 15, 2021
McAllen TX
I have returned from a 1,263 mile round trip from deep South Texas (McAllen) to North Texas (Plano) and wanted to recap a few highlights. I was in my 2021 Model 3 Standard Range Plus.

THe SR+ has a 90% charge of 230 miles. At 75 mph from McAllen to Three Rivers Supercharger (163) miles it can get a bit low battery. The key is to change the trip charge to 100% at the McAllen Supercharger (254 miles) and that got to Three Rivers just fine. FYI there is a dog park there which is a nice outdoor picnic table area. Amenities are average: McDonalds, Subway, Love's Truck Stop.

I then managed to go to all the chargers up I -37 North and I-35 W North to Fort Worth:
San Marcos Outlet Mall
Austin Domain Mall
Waco Collin Street Bakery
Alvarado Shell Station
Fort Worth Downtown

Then over to Plano where the Supercharger is like at Austin Domain - in a parking garage in an upscale shopping area. Not so easy to find but once you are there, it is an easy walk around. Interestingly, there are only 2 Superchargers for North Dallas and Plano so it was always nearly full even on weekday mornings.
IMG_4548.jpg

Heading back, charging stops at
Waco
San Marcos
Three Rivers
Kingsville - near a new Starbucks, Holiday Inn Express, IHOP

If you like to shop, San Marcos, Austin Domain and Plano/Shops at Legacy are good charging stations.

Some notable restaurants - the farther north you go, the more things have opened up after Covid.

Susie's Taco's - Edinburg
IMG_4504.jpg

12 Cuts Brazilian Steakhouse - Dallas

Texas Live! Arlington (think of a Las Vegas Sports Book, right next to new Globe Life Park (Texas Rangers)

Cigar Man

Intriguing Human
Jul 23, 2020
McAllen, Texas
Don’t know why I didn’t see this earlier. I too live in McAllen, driving a blue MY.

Just curious - why did you swing over to Kingsville on the way back? I agree, though - it’s a nice place. On the way to Houston, I stop there and by the time I get back to the car with something from Starbucks, I have more than enough charge to get it Victoria.

Did you know there is a Tesla RGV Facebook page? They had a get together at HEB Park recently and another I. Brownsville when the Service Center was opening.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC