Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip From North West England to Scotland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day all,

Wondering if there is any road trip blogs that a Tesla member has done before.

Say from North West England to Scotland.

Looking to do a road trip next year with my Model 3 Long range.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers
Dylan

Not a blog, I’m afraid, but we’ve been to Scotland from Derby twice in an EV.

In June we had a week in a lovely cottage on the Isle of Skye, in the Kona electric. The total journey was about 500 miles, and we broke the journey and had an overnight near Dumbarton both ways. We spent the week driving around Skye in glorious weather.

We’re currently away for a week in the Scottish Borders, in a cottage on a farm near Jedburgh in the Model 3. We topped up on the way here at Washington Supercharger, just so we’d still have half a tank when we arrived. This week we’ve been to Lindisfarne, Edinburgh, Kelso, Melrose, Hawick and Galashiels! I love driving the Model 3 on the twisty, winding roads up here.

The huge bonus in Scotland is that all the 50kW Charge Place Scotland chargers are free to use, apart from in Dumfries & Galloway. Virtually every small town has one of these chargers, and on both our trips I’ve yet to come across anyone else using them :) Even on Skye there are four of these chargers dotted about the island.

If you plan on using these chargers you can use the app, but because mobile coverage can be a bit iffy in these small towns I’d suggest you get the RFID card, either from Charge Place Scotland or from Charge Your Car. Both work. The card costs £20 a year, but I’ve easily recouped that several times in free charging over just these two trips.

We do a round trip Aberdeen to Preston and back regularly. Use various super chargers depending on our needs - Tebay, Gretna, Abington, Edinburgh, Perth , Dundee. Not had any issues although Edinburgh only has 2 stalls and is not particularly convenient and Gretna only has 4 and can get busy.

We’re currently away for a week in the Scottish Borders, in a cottage on a farm near Jedburgh in the Model 3. We topped up on the way here at Washington Supercharger, just so we’d still have half a tank when we arrived. This week we’ve been to Lindisfarne, Edinburgh, Kelso, Melrose, Hawick and Galashiels! I love driving the Model 3 on the twisty, winding roads up here.

Have you driven the A78 from Selkirk to Moffat via St Mary's Loch? Nice road. Fabulous views. If you need a charge halfway down St Mary's Loch you can use my Zappi! Actually you won't need to because the free 50kW charger in Selkirk is always available (well whenever I've used it). ... and if anyone wants to rent a small cottage check out: Half House Cottage St Mary's Loch – Self-catering cottage in the Scottish Borders

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W.
Have you driven the A78 from Selkirk to Moffat via St Mary's Loch? Nice road. Fabulous views. If you need a charge halfway down St Mary's Loch you can use my Zappi! Actually you won't need to because the free 50kW charger in Selkirk is always available (well whenever I've used it). ... and if anyone wants to rent a small cottage check out: Half House Cottage St Mary's Loch – Self-catering cottage in the Scottish Borders
That’s great, thanks. On our way to Selkirk just now, so we might take a drive to the loch if the rain holds off!

That’s great, thanks. On our way to Selkirk just now, so we might take a drive to the loch if the rain holds off!

If not needing to go shortest route to Moffat there's a great circular route by turning right at Cappercleuch up past the Megget reservoir eventually to Talla reservoir and then to join A701 at Tweedsmuir ... back to Peebles direction turn right or on to Moffat again turn left. It's bright and dry here at the moment!

If not needing to go shortest route to Moffat there's a great circular route by turning right at Cappercleuch up past the Megget reservoir eventually to Talla reservoir and then to join A701 at Tweedsmuir ... back to Peebles direction turn right or on to Moffat again turn left. It's bright and dry here at the moment!
Unfortunately we didn’t make it today. The heavens opened while we were in Selkirk, and we got pretty wet, so decided to call it a day and head back to the holiday cottage. I’m sure we’ll be back next year though, so hopefully then.