Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip got messy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Predisposition to "motion sickness" in adults or children is multifactorial: genetic, certain medical conditions, recent or concurrent illness. Exposure to real or perceived motion (virtual, large video screens) can precipitate symptoms. Motion sickness may not be obvious at first, particularly in children: yawning, belching, paleness of skin, flushing, sweating, increased salivation, nausea. Children between 3-12 years old have the highest incidence. Children under 2 and elderly have reduced incidence. Motion stimuli that may precipitate illness include acceleration (instant torque), horizontal translational (quick turns), fore- and aft- surge movements (regen, go pedal, regen, go pedal)

Last edited:
I used to get motion sickness as a kid, but am OK as an adult including surviving a very rough night on a cruise ship where we were lifting out of our bunks and my 12 year old daughter was vomiting big time.

Many of the cures for sea sickness also work in cars - eg cool fresh air away from fumes, looking at horizon (if you can see it), finding a place with less motion (or reducing motion by taking it easy), crystallised ginger, motion sickness tablets etc. As others have said also have some bags and wet wipes to hand just in case!

Bizarrely having an empty stomach can actually be worse than having something in the stomach. Avoid highly fatty foods though.

I had two Chinese visitors in my car and I was driving them for shopping in Atlanta. I tried to converse with them but they had their hands on their mouths and were giving me "mmmm" answers. After a few minutes, they frantically signed me pull over. The moment I stopped, they opened the door, ran to the side walk and threw up. My brand new Lexus nearly became Chinese food flavored!

What do you guys use to clean the seats? I've got textile - any tips?

Try "Nature's Miracle". You'll find it at the pet store. It's for cleaning up doggie messes, but it contains enzymes that attack all kinds of bio waste and completely eliminate it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well if a significant amount of any kind of soap or detergent has already been applied, this kills the enzymes. I keep it everywhere... it's super useful. Removes blood and food stains on clothes, too. Always my first line of defense.

Try "Nature's Miracle". You'll find it at the pet store. It's for cleaning up doggie messes, but it contains enzymes that attack all kinds of bio waste and completely eliminate it. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well if a significant amount of any kind of soap or detergent has already been applied, this kills the enzymes. I keep it everywhere... it's super useful. Removes blood and food stains on clothes, too. Always my first line of defense.

I agree with JanetM. We have used Nature's Miracle a lot because we have an elderly dog. It works on everything that comes out of a mammal, for sure. It does require a little patience- the enzymes take a while to break stuff down.Patience is required. Dog vomit odor can take 2-3 days to reduce significantly, for example. But it does go away. We use blotting with a towel or paper towels to remove what we can, then sometimes clear water for a little more removal, then blotting to remove excess water (and avoid dilution of the applied product), then apply the product. It is sold in spray bottles but also in larger refill jugs. It's carried in a lot of pet stores and feed stores, but you can always use the store locator at their website.

My friends sister just got a brand new escalade. They took mom, dad, grandma, grandma and the two kids to a Mizzou game and the youngest got sick and apparently had projectile vomiting all over the new Cadillac and grandma and grandpa, mom and dad. They said it was like a fire hose but with vomit. Totally trashed a brand new 90,000 Cadillac. It happens.