Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip in a 60 kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently completed a road trip from Southern California to Napa, with a stay-over in San Francisco with a friend. I hope this info helps folks out there with 60's doing road trips.

Here is the data that I collected using the Supercharger network, and charging in SF and Napa. Keep in mind that I drove between 65 – 75 mph, and tried to use cruise control where I could, which wasn’t often due to traffic behavior of others (people going super slow or super fast). Basically took 10 - 11 hours to drive one direction (from Hawthorne SC to San Francisco or vice versa).

I spent 3 nights in SF. So I had my car parked in a 24/7 parking lot on Mason/Post (Pro Parking, 433 Mason). They have 7 Chargepoint chargers on the bottom floor for the ActiveE’s they rent out. They will move the ActiveE’s out of the way for you to park and charging is complimentary. I parked myself, but you have to leave your key with them.
My day trip to Napa had me visit 6 wineries for their wine tasting. 2 of the wineries I specifically chose because they have complimentary charging (if the charger isn’t taken). Honig has a single 30A charger. ZD Wines has a 30A charger and a HPWC (3 staff members own Teslas).
Opus One.jpg

Joseph Phelps.jpg

Hawthorne SC: The bathroom is now open 9 to 12 midnight M-F, and 10-6 weekends.
Hawthorne.jpg

Tejon Ranch SC: Close to a McD’s and Yogurtland, which is where I ended up eating. Other shops and fastfood available as well.
Tejon Ranch.jpg

Harris Ranch SC: Not much here except for Harris Ranch. Walked around Harris Ranch market and bought my friend 2 filets.
Harris Ranch Filets.jpg

Gilroy SC: Outlet mall, so lots of places to go shopping if you cared to. Right close to an In-n-Out, and I saw a McDs and Starbucks across the road.
Gilroy.jpg

Atascadero SC: completely missed the entrance (next to Rabobank). Ate at a Mexican restaurant Que Pasa, but the SC’s are next to a Denny’s.
Atascadero.jpg

Buellton SC: in the lot for the Marriott. A few spots are marked as 2 hour parking, while others say EV only. McD’s nearby, but I went into the hotel for a frapaccino (half off for happy hour). Just a note: There's road construction on the 101 in Santa Barbara and there's a section that goes from 3 lanes down to 2. Took about 45 minutes just to get through Santa Barbara, as speeds were about 10 mph.
Buellton.jpg

Data.png

Last edited:
you did a great job keeping your Wh/mi very low. Do you happen to remember what you average speed was between Tejon and Harris? Also were you using the HVAC system?

I would say my average throughout my roadtrip was 70 mph. Between Tejon and Harris, I was able to use cruise control (at least for a part of it) which I set at 73 mph. The temps were quite pleasant so I did not use the heater or AC. Set the same CC speed between Atascadero and Buellton.

Recently I found that 70 mph on the highway has given me at or under 300 wh/mi. I dont know if it is accurate as I have done many 100+ days and usually it will use about 315-320 but on NYE we did 125 miles @70 and the results were 295 wh/mi. I will eventually try to take it on a long I95 trip using SCs and see what I get. That was a nice chart you made interesting information.

Thanks for the info. We to have a 60 also because we really don't drive far usually, but when we do we would take our ice. But once the SC stations are built and on the routes we need we are planing a few trips. We did take a trip from Stuart, Fl to Tampa. fl then to Orlando and we only had to charge in tampa at the company we were visiting (since they had a 240 line) just to get enough to make sure we made it to Disney, we were about 10 miles short by the gauge. While in Disney we had it charging at the Wilderness campground that was set up by Disney. But all I all we had only a little anxiety which got my wife wishing we got the 85. So now after the next trip she wants to look into swapping to a 85 if we have the same issues.

Thank you for the great write up by apoclyps.

I have seen several write ups about drives from SF bay area to Hawthorne (LA area).

I'm curious what the fastest possible time that someone has done in total travel time. My guess is somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 hours. Has anyone done this trip any faster?

The reason I ask is because I'm contemplating a trip from Orange County to San Francisco and my constraints are as follows. I would be leaving Orange County after 6 pm on a Friday and need to be in San Francisco for a 9 am event. I'd be driving a P85 with 21 inch tires so the ridiculously efficient numbers that apoclyps reports would not apply to me. My lifetime W/mi is 371 after over 20000 miles.

Any thoughts as to the fastest time possible between these destinations?