Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip in July. questions from a brand new owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had to accept the radar change and then right after i had a vin. i ordered Apri 30th. i appeared at night before bed. then the next day the window got closer. its now June 10th to June 16th! good luck to your vin as well.

Thank you that was all great info. I ordered and finished my profile both on April 23rd and I am in California so most likely if I see mine this quarter it will be the last week of June. Not holding my breath though. I search the webpage source code looking for EncodedVIN and 5YJ daily expecting to see that before I am asked the dreaded radar approval question. All it takes is a small production snafu and us waiting in California will be sometime next quarter. Also my current window is June 5th - June 20th but I am sure that will change soon as well. Interestingly I have read in the forums that the MYP's are at the end of each production run which is strange as you would think they would go after more money first. But this is Tesla and while the cars are amazing predicting their actions can be interesting.

Thank you that was all great info. I ordered and finished my profile both on April 23rd and I am in California so most likely if I see mine this quarter it will be the last week of June. Not holding my breath though. I search the webpage source code looking for EncodedVIN and 5YJ daily expecting to see that before I am asked the dreaded radar approval question. All it takes is a small production snafu and us waiting in California will be sometime next quarter. Also my current window is June 5th - June 20th but I am sure that will change soon as well. Interestingly I have read in the forums that the MYP's are at the end of each production run which is strange as you would think they would go after more money first. But this is Tesla and while the cars are amazing predicting their actions can be interesting.
Hmmmm, wonder if that means they will slap the same rear motor in all the Y's coming off the assembly line at the end of the quarter and I will be able to do the ghost module on my LR???

Keith

order the full set of plug heads? the Nema set for $220?
Yes, I believe that is what they're talking about but they are currently out of stock.

Definitely bring your mobile connector and some adapters, but I don't think you need to go crazy with getting a bunch or the whole set (even though it is nice to have). For travelling, it's good to have the 14-50, 5-15, 5-20, and maybe a TT-30 but even that is kinda excessive.
If you want more in-depth info, I put a link below for some videos I made about the topic:

I agree with some of the recurring points that were made here so far. The Mrs. and I have made two road trips in the past year from Texas to Virginia and they have gone 100% smoothly. Both of those trips were made with my Model S P85D, which has ~80 miles less range than a Model Y LR.
We have another one coming up in July but we'll actually be making in our new Model Y, which we'll take delivery of soon! :)

So much awesome information here ! thanks everyone so much!
We pick up our MYP Monday afternoon! super excited. I have a weird question i cannot find much answer on. I live in Wisconsin where we cannot buy Tesla in state so i drive to Illinois to pick it up. How does Wisconsin get their taxes or don't they? On the Tesla site it says tax included? Will Wisconsin bill me when i go and register it ? Any idea the cost? lol sorry just want to be prepared.

So much awesome information here ! thanks everyone so much!
We pick up our MYP Monday afternoon! super excited. I have a weird question i cannot find much answer on. I live in Wisconsin where we cannot buy Tesla in state so i drive to Illinois to pick it up. How does Wisconsin get their taxes or don't they? On the Tesla site it says tax included? Will Wisconsin bill me when i go and register it ? Any idea the cost? lol sorry just want to be prepared.
You pay taxes when you register in Wisconsin.

Reactions: Dvs76
You'll love it.

Learn Autopilot slowly on the open road - a long road trip is a great way to do this. You need to learn where you can trust it, and where you can't; where it works well, and where it doesn't - initially, treat it as Cruise Control where you're completely in control and paying close attention. If you have "Navigate on Autopilot", set "Require Lane Change Confirmation" to "Yes" until you get used to where/when it wants to change lanes.
AP is a great feature on long road trips - I pay attention, but at a more executive level. I see what traffic is doing, what the roadway is doing, without having to simultaneously manage accelerator, following distances, lane centering, etc. When traffic/roadway is challenging, I focus more heavily on the car's driving and am primed to take control quickly if necessary; when traffic/roadway is clear and simple, my focus can wander a bit more. As others have noted, this makes long trips much less tiring.

You really don't need to worry too much about charging adapters; there are so many Superchargers that the likelihood that you'll need them is essentially zero. I don't carry my Mobile Connector in the car because of that. But, if you wanted to be sure that you could charge anywhere you needed, take (in priority order):
1. A 5-15 Adapter with 25 or 50' 12 Gauge extension cord. The 5-15 is the standard US outlet, and means that you can charge (if even very slowly, about 4 to 5 miles of range for every hour of charging) anywhere. Perhaps you only need 5 more miles of range to make it to a Supercharger - this will give you that emergency capability. Perhaps your AirBNB doesn't have an EV charger - plug into an outlet in the garage or house and get a few miles added while you sleep. This adapter I believe comes with the car.
2. A J1772 Adapter. PlugShare or similar apps are great for finding non-Tesla chargers; J1772 is the most common one you'll find. And the adapter is free (comes with the car). This will give you reasonably fast charging, similar to the 14-50.
3. A 14-50 Adapter. This will let you charge at just about any RV campground in the US. Most have a policy at this point about charging - it might be free, it might cost a nominal amount, it might require that you rent a space for the daily rate. Regardless, in an emergency it's a great solution, and you get about 30 miles of range for every hour you charge.
4. Other adapters aren't really common or don't have much advantage over the listed ones:
- The 5-20 is an uncommon plug sometimes found in garages, kitchens, or commercial buildings. It's a modified 5-15, and will charge slightly faster - perhaps 6 miles of range per hour of charging.
- A TT-30 (not sold by Tesla; you can buy one from Search Results for “tt-30” – EVSE Adapters) adapter is an older standard for RV's. You'll charge about twice as fast as a 5-15.

As others have noted, charging is fastest when the battery is low. Your emotions will want to keep the battery full, but as a practical matter you'll make better time by charging only enough to get to the next charger with 20% (when you start out; eventually you'll likely get comfortable with 10%) left on the battery. If you're using in-car nav, you can get it to tell you what your battery level will be at the next charger. Feel free to charge to 90% when you're stopped overnight, it may let you skip a charging stop, but otherwise it doesn't provide a whole lot of value to do so.
In-car nav is great. If it detects that you're going to get to a supercharger with less than about 10% charge, it'll warn you on screen to slow down - pay attention to it. Yeah, going 65 rather than 75 might be annoying, but trying to push a 4000 pound car for two miles to the next supercharger is even more annoying.

For your passengers, only a few games will run on the screen while you're driving - for example, Solitaire does for some strange reason but Backgammon won't. They may have to bring their own entertainment.

You'll find places on your trip where streaming radio won't work. Consider putting some music on a USB Flash drive for those sections of roadway (must be in MP3 format).

Have fun, and keep on grinning.

You'll love it.

Learn Autopilot slowly on the open road - a long road trip is a great way to do this. You need to learn where you can trust it, and where you can't; where it works well, and where it doesn't - initially, treat it as Cruise Control where you're completely in control and paying close attention. If you have "Navigate on Autopilot", set "Require Lane Change Confirmation" to "Yes" until you get used to where/when it wants to change lanes.
AP is a great feature on long road trips - I pay attention, but at a more executive level. I see what traffic is doing, what the roadway is doing, without having to simultaneously manage accelerator, following distances, lane centering, etc. When traffic/roadway is challenging, I focus more heavily on the car's driving and am primed to take control quickly if necessary; when traffic/roadway is clear and simple, my focus can wander a bit more. As others have noted, this makes long trips much less tiring.

You really don't need to worry too much about charging adapters; there are so many Superchargers that the likelihood that you'll need them is essentially zero. I don't carry my Mobile Connector in the car because of that. But, if you wanted to be sure that you could charge anywhere you needed, take (in priority order):
1. A 5-15 Adapter with 25 or 50' 12 Gauge extension cord. The 5-15 is the standard US outlet, and means that you can charge (if even very slowly, about 4 to 5 miles of range for every hour of charging) anywhere. Perhaps you only need 5 more miles of range to make it to a Supercharger - this will give you that emergency capability. Perhaps your AirBNB doesn't have an EV charger - plug into an outlet in the garage or house and get a few miles added while you sleep. This adapter I believe comes with the car.
2. A J1772 Adapter. PlugShare or similar apps are great for finding non-Tesla chargers; J1772 is the most common one you'll find. And the adapter is free (comes with the car). This will give you reasonably fast charging, similar to the 14-50.
3. A 14-50 Adapter. This will let you charge at just about any RV campground in the US. Most have a policy at this point about charging - it might be free, it might cost a nominal amount, it might require that you rent a space for the daily rate. Regardless, in an emergency it's a great solution, and you get about 30 miles of range for every hour you charge.
4. Other adapters aren't really common or don't have much advantage over the listed ones:
- The 5-20 is an uncommon plug sometimes found in garages, kitchens, or commercial buildings. It's a modified 5-15, and will charge slightly faster - perhaps 6 miles of range per hour of charging.
- A TT-30 (not sold by Tesla; you can buy one from Search Results for “tt-30” – EVSE Adapters) adapter is an older standard for RV's. You'll charge about twice as fast as a 5-15.

As others have noted, charging is fastest when the battery is low. Your emotions will want to keep the battery full, but as a practical matter you'll make better time by charging only enough to get to the next charger with 20% (when you start out; eventually you'll likely get comfortable with 10%) left on the battery. If you're using in-car nav, you can get it to tell you what your battery level will be at the next charger. Feel free to charge to 90% when you're stopped overnight, it may let you skip a charging stop, but otherwise it doesn't provide a whole lot of value to do so.
In-car nav is great. If it detects that you're going to get to a supercharger with less than about 10% charge, it'll warn you on screen to slow down - pay attention to it. Yeah, going 65 rather than 75 might be annoying, but trying to push a 4000 pound car for two miles to the next supercharger is even more annoying.

For your passengers, only a few games will run on the screen while you're driving - for example, Solitaire does for some strange reason but Backgammon won't. They may have to bring their own entertainment.

You'll find places on your trip where streaming radio won't work. Consider putting some music on a USB Flash drive for those sections of roadway (must be in MP3 format).

Have fun, and keep on grinning.
Thanks so much for this write up! we pick up our baby Monday :D

Reactions: Frank99 and nabsher
Thanks so much for this write up! we pick up our baby Monday :D
Just made it back from our first road trip. Car delivered on Thursday, and took off Friday morning. Not too long, but have 1,000 miles on the car now. My thoughts:
1) As everyone mentions, charging was a non-issue. Every couple hours we'd stop for 15ish minutes to top up, let the dog run around a bit, wife find a bathroom, and everyone stretch the legs a bit. It was kind of nice having those stops built into the trip. Mind you, we still had to make a couple additional bathroom rest stops too anyways. LoL
2) Autopilot was nice, and also as mentioned I learned when it worked well and when not so well. We spent a lot of time on 2 lane country highways, where it was awesome. When we got near a town or other cars, I'd pay a bit more attention or turn off. AP normally wouldn't go to the right lane when a passing lane was available up long hills. At first I would fight it and force to the right lane causing AP to turn off. Later I realized I could turn on the blinker for a smoother transition and keep AP engaged. One thing I wondered was about road kill. Twice we passed a rabbit or possum?? that was mashed up on the road. I wasn't in AP either time and it was easy enough to shift a couple feet to one side of the lane to avoid re-running over the poor creature. What would AP have done? I suspect just plow over it again? :eek:
3) I'm really excited about the future of FSD and had purchased that, but was unable to really get it to do anything? I need to research more how to use. I accepted all the warnings and turned on all the features, and clicked the "navigate in autopilot" button, but was never able to get the car to make it's own navigation maneuvers. Chalking it mostly up to the reduced features right now without radar, or me not understanding something.
4) I had maybe a dozen phantom breaking episodes. Most when I couldn't see any reason whatsoever for the car's confusion. Sunny straight, well marked road and then a hard break for no reason? I also had AP disable once during a rainstorm due to poor visibility.
5) Passing cars on two lane roads is just... juicy fun! I craved coming up on a car for the opportunity to pass. I drove most of the way speed limit -ish, but when I occasionally caught a car or truck, it's great fun to let er rip for the pass!
6) Wind makes a big difference on range! I knew this, but having experienced it now was interesting. On our last leg home my estimated SOC arriving home dropped from 22% to 11% over the first 30 miles (of 130ish miles total trip), and I started to wonder if I would need to top off again before arriving home. We passed a wind mill farm and could see we were driving into stiff headwind. I changed the AP follow distance to 3 (lowest available) and stuck behind a semi for about 20 miles, were the estimated finish SOC increased back from 11 to 17%! Still going more or less speed limit. The drafting worked! Then we hit the pass and the semi slowed way down and I was back on my own. Ended up home with 13%. As an engineer I was geeking out an loving every bit of the experience. :)
7) Noticed a clicking sound in the steering wheel column as I came a stop? Every time I come to a stop. Like a solenoid closing. Is that normal?

Spent about an hour last night, in the dark, washing and cleaning out the car after we got home. Fun trip!

Reactions: Dennisis
Yes, I have hold enabled so I guess makes sense.

Oh yeah, some more things.
8) I love single pedal driving! Only thing that seems a bit off is when I need to apply real breaks to slow a bit more aggressively than re-gen alone, but not to a complete stop. Coming off the break it feels wierd for the car to continue breaking fairly hard. For example, I nearly missed a turn off the highway, and had to apply additional breaking to get down from 65 to 25ish quickly and make the turn. But then as I let off the break to turn, the car continues to aggressively slow until I can get my foot back on the go pedal and apply some power. It all makes sense what is happening, but just didn't feel fluid. Probably still a learning curve for something that doesn't come up all the time.
9) I read someone else here mention they wish you could set Hold for drive, but Creep for reverse. I totally agree with this. Hold is great going forward, but backing up I think creep would feel much more natural. Or again, I just need more time to adapt to it. :cool:

Possible FSD wasn't calibrated for a while as you had just picked it up, also might have tried a reboot after a while if still not working. I think it's great! I set to Mad Max and let it do the lane changes on it's own - quite relaxing once you get used to it. Be aware of possible phantom braking situations (cars merging in especially) and stay attentive. All the best! :)

Yes, I have hold enabled so I guess makes sense.

Oh yeah, some more things.
8) I love single pedal driving! Only thing that seems a bit off is when I need to apply real breaks to slow a bit more aggressively than re-gen alone, but not to a complete stop. Coming off the break it feels wierd for the car to continue breaking fairly hard. For example, I nearly missed a turn off the highway, and had to apply additional breaking to get down from 65 to 25ish quickly and make the turn. But then as I let off the break to turn, the car continues to aggressively slow until I can get my foot back on the go pedal and apply some power. It all makes sense what is happening, but just didn't feel fluid. Probably still a learning curve for something that doesn't come up all the time.
9) I read someone else here mention they wish you could set Hold for drive, but Creep for reverse. I totally agree with this. Hold is great going forward, but backing up I think creep would feel much more natural. Or again, I just need more time to adapt to it. :cool:

Me too. Took me no time to love it in forward driving, but even after a year of practice I would still much prefer creep mode in reverse. My Bolt works that way, and it's just easier to control. Plus it scrapes the rust off the rotors since I almost never need the friction brakes.

By the way, it's "brake" and "brakes". Unless you crash, then it breaks! (Please don't crash!)

thanks everyone! we just booked an airbnb in Lakewood,Co it has a chevy volt charger and it says we can use it. Sorry for this stupid question but we dont even have our car yet, what will i need to use that charger? i have installed a Tesla wall charger already. does the car include what i need to use that charger at the airbnb? also any road trip accessories anyone advises are must have? thanks so much!
You will probably need a J1772 plug adapter which comes with the car. There are plenty of free charging stations in Denver if you look around. PlugShare app is another good one we use to find free charging stations. They’re slower than the super chargers, but if your sitting around for awhile, might as well add some miles…. Have fun on your trip!