Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip in the MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fantastic road trip in the 22 MYP!

- Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska - 2600 miles / 331 Wh/mi
- CCS adapter was fantastic - WAY cheaper and quicker than the 150 Tesla network
- Spent 66 bucks on the EA network and 178 on the Tesla network - Mostly charging from 15% to 60%
- A few mirage braking moments, NO phantom braking - AP was used more than 85% of the trip

This is a fantastic road trip car, so much fun!

Mark

- Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska - 2600 miles / 331 Wh/mi
- CCS adapter was fantastic - WAY cheaper and quicker than the 150 Tesla network
- Spent 66 bucks on the EA network and 178 on the Tesla network - Mostly charging from 15% to 60%
- A few mirage braking moments, NO phantom braking - AP was used more than 85% of the trip

Mark
I didn’t know EA charging rates are lower. Interesting. It starts offsetting the cost of the CCS adapter. Was this dependent on time-of-day?

Mark

How do you find and plan CCS network charging stops? Is there an easy and seamless way like there is with the supercharger network?

Hope tesla starts selling the CCS adapter in the US and seemlessly includes the charging stops for both the supercharger network and CCS network. Not sure if this is even possible though.

I found overall the EA sites were pretty painless, connect up the charger to the car, pick you EA location in the EA app and swipe to charge. A few times I had to try a different connection or stall. Tesla still rules when it comes to plug and charge, but the money saved it was worth the few extra minutes to charge. The rates were not based on time, if you pay the 4 bucks a month to EA you get the better rates (25% off).

The charging maxed out at 180 kw on one of the stops but overall it was easy breezy - and it was kind of nice being next to a Walmart too.

I found overall the EA sites were pretty painless, connect up the charger to the car, pick you EA location in the EA app and swipe to charge. A few times I had to try a different connection or stall. Tesla still rules when it comes to plug and charge, but the money saved it was worth the few extra minutes to charge. The rates were not based on time, if you pay the 4 bucks a month to EA you get the better rates (25% off).

The charging maxed out at 180 kw on one of the stops but overall it was easy breezy - and it was kind of nice being next to a Walmart too.
How do you find these EA charging stations? Do they show up on the tesla NAV when navigating to your destination?

if you use "A better route planner" on your phone, you can change the preferences to have both Tesla supercharger and CCS1 show up when you plan a trip, Wish I got the CCS1 adapter earlier, was driving to Pensacola last november, there are not many options for superchargers from Atlanta to Pensacola. At least with a CCS adapter you have more options.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
if you use "A better route planner" on your phone, you can change the preferences to have both Tesla supercharger and CCS1 show up when you plan a trip, Wish I got the CCS1 adapter earlier, was driving to Pensacola last november, there are not many options for superchargers from Atlanta to Pensacola. At least with a CCS adapter you have more options.

Went through there from Maryland through to the Biloxi are over spring break. On both options for getting there (through Atlanta or Chattanooga), the CCS adapter will be really useful. There are V2 super chargers that are over used or in not too nice of areas where a CCS option is available. I will be making good use of this over the summer as well as in the fall.

Did you purposely avoid Tesla Super Chargers or weren’t they available along your trip. We have some EA chargers here in southern IL and they all seem to be on Walmart property.
I found that most locations had both EA and Tesla charging - so I would check the cost of the Tesla charging via the in car screen and found that the EA was cheaper, so I opted to use the EA in those cases. A great example of Tesla being VERY expensive: Ogallala, NE - Tesla was .73 per minute vs .24 for EA. I have also noticed that a few Tesla sites are now doing a tired charging that adds up quickly. I would say if you don't like the process of using the EA "activation" then stick with Tesla. I would rather save a few bucks and like to have the options.

I would also use Plugshare to find the charging or the EA app as well.

Hey there, trying to decide if I want to upgrade to a MYP. How many miles were on yours at the time of the trip? Did you have any battery deg before and then after the trip? I'm wanting to do some digital nomad-ing across the country and am curious whether this thing is the best car for the job... I also was curious, are you on standard 21" uberturbines and what tires did you use? I'd like to get that 19" set in addition to the ubers to help with tire cost and range but not sure whether (in your professional opinion) they would make a difference. Thanks!

Hey there, trying to decide if I want to upgrade to a MYP. How many miles were on yours at the time of the trip? Did you have any battery deg before and then after the trip? I'm wanting to do some digital nomad-ing across the country and am curious whether this thing is the best car for the job... I also was curious, are you on standard 21" uberturbines and what tires did you use? I'd like to get that 19" set in addition to the ubers to help with tire cost and range but not sure whether (in your professional opinion) they would make a difference. Thanks!

The 21's look fantastic, but the ride is pretty rough/solid. If you lower the pressures a bit it is better...19" wheels/tires will give you a much better/smoother ride. My snow shoes are 19's and the ride is nice, planning on make my summer shoes to be 19" as well - anyone looking for a nice set of 21", let me know.

Don't worry about efficiency, it isn't much - the Tesla Super Charger network is plentiful, use it and enjoy the car!