Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip in the US and Canada - meet us!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

First roadtrip in the model S starting Monday morning (June 27th) with my girlfriend Mimi :)

We're planning a bit more than 4000kms (+2500miles) starting from home, North of Montreal.

We'll be stopping in a few superchargers along the way (obviously...) if any of you want to meet and chat, feel free to meet us.

Here are a few stops we'll do along the way :
  1. Burlington Supercharger - AM on June 27th
  2. Albany Supercharger - noon on June 27th
  3. Edison Supercharger - 2 PM on June 27th
  4. Around Philadelphia - June 27th to June 28th - we're sleeping in Philadelphia
  5. Washington, DC - June 28th during the day - we'll be visiting the US capital during the day
  6. Strastburg Superchager - Late PM on June 28th
  7. Lexington Supercharger - PM on June 29th
  8. Wytheville Supercharger - Late PM on June 29th
  9. Around Charlotte , June 30th
  10. Asheville Supercharger - AM on July 1st
  11. Knoxville Supercharger - Noon - 1PM on July 1st
  12. London Supercharger - PM on July 1st
  13. Cincinnati - We're sleeping there on July 1st and visiting on July 2nd
  14. Macedonia Supercharger - around 11h AM on July 3rd
  15. Erie Supercharger - around noon, July 3rd
  16. Buffalo Supercharger - PM on July 3rd
  17. Niagara on the lake - July 4th - Niagara falls, wineries and more
  18. Lawrence Supercharge in Toronto - July 5th around noon
  19. Toronto Zoo - July 5th PM
  20. Port Hope Supercharger - Around 5PM, on July 5th
  21. Kingston Supercharger than back home

Feel free to drop by and chat with us!

Pearl White model S with Quebec green license plate :D

Follow us on my twitter page : Philippe Marseille (@marseilp) | Twitter

Thanks
Phil

My wife and I are doing a road trip with our model X in August and will be in Montreal 11-15 August. Planning to try and meet up with @Mad Hungarian, perhaps we can have a little Tesla get together? :) My daughter is moving to Montreal and attending Concordia Univsersity so we will be helping her get situated in her apartment, but it would be fun to make some new friends in Montreal!

@MDMGSO47 is blue ridge parkway driveable with the MS? No range anxiety issues?

If you stick to your itinerary, you will have to use Asheville as your home base if you don't want to use destination chargers. You can see representative parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway 60 miles on both sides of Asheville - Richland Balsam Overlook 60 miles to the south (the highest point on the Parkway at over 6,000 feet) to Mount Mitchell 55 miles to the north ( over a mile high, the highest mountain in the US east of the Rockies. However, the best part of the Blue Ridge Parkway is between Mount Mitchel and Boone to the north.

If you are going to Charlotte only because there is a supercharger there, you will find there is nothing to see on I-77 between Wytheville and Charlotte except very crowded interstate highway. The drive from Charlotte to Asheville is more of the same.

If you want to see some of the most unspoiled, beautiful mountain country anywhere (the locals call it God's country), I would suggest the following itinerary for June 30. Be sure to charge in Wytheville the night of June 29. On the morning of June 30, drive from Wytheville to Boone, NC via primarily US 21 and US 221 through Mouth of Wilson VA, Shatley Springs, NC (have lunch there is the restaurant is open), West Jefferson and on into Boone (about 90 total miles and a leisurely 2 hours). The roads are made for you to enjoy your Tesla.

There is a Tesla HPWC charger at the Makoto's Japanese Steak house and Sushi Bar restaurant in Boone (patron's only, so you will have to buy something, but the food is excellent). Depending on what you are driving, you may not need to charge.

From Boone, drive south on US 321, and pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway just north of Blowing Rock (which is beautiful in its own right). Notable scenic attractions along the Parkway are Grandfather Mountain, Linville Falls, Crabtree Meadows, Mount Mitchell (a must if it isn't cloudy), Craggy Gardens and down into Asheville. The trip from Boone to Asheville via the Blue Ridge Parkway is around 95 miles and will take 2.5 to three hours , depending on how often you stop. Have your camera at the ready. The scenery is breathtaking. I grew up in this area so I may be prejudiced, but I have traveled all over the world, and I find this area to be equivalent in natural, unspoiled beauty to the Ice Fields Parkway in western Canada and Milford Sound in southern New Zealand.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/blrimap-2.pdf
PlugShare

You absolutely must spend the night in Asheville. If your budget allows, stay at the Grove Park Inn or on the Biltmore Estate. Check out Downtown Asheville at night. It is a happening place.

The next day, don't miss the Biltmore House and Gardens built by George Vanderbilt, which rivals many of the great chateaus in Europe. Go there the morning of July 1st before heading to Knoxville (be warned there is absolutely nothing to see there).

The supercharger in Asheville is well located close to the Biltmore Estate, and is fast and generally not crowded. Beware weekends and holidays.

• Love
Reactions: TrevTremaine
You absolutely must spend the night in Asheville. If your budget allows, stay at the Grove Park Inn or on the Biltmore Estate. Check out Downtown Asheville at night. It is a happening place.

The next day, don't miss the Biltmore House and Gardens built by George Vanderbilt, which rivals many of the great chateaus in Europe. Go there the morning of July 1st before heading to Knoxville (be warned there is absolutely nothing to see there).

The supercharger in Asheville is well located close to the Biltmore Estate, and is fast and generally not crowded. Beware weekends and holidays.

Thx, will check with the girlfriend if she wants to change the literary.

Hi Phil

You may want to skip Buffalo SC and do Grimsby SC instead. It's about 250 KM from Erie (80 KM from Buffalo), and Buffalo SC is a bit out of the way, coming from Erie.
It was nice meeting you in Ste Therese. Enjoy your trip!

Thx for the tip. We're sleeping in Grimsby.

My wife and I are doing a road trip with our model X in August and will be in Montreal 11-15 August. Planning to try and meet up with @Mad Hungarian, perhaps we can have a little Tesla get together? :) My daughter is moving to Montreal and attending Concordia Univsersity so we will be helping her get situated in her apartment, but it would be fun to make some new friends in Montreal!

Sure thing!

Sleeping in Philadelphia tonight. Washington DC tomorrow.

Count me in and looking forward to it as discussed, however I can only make it on the 14th or 15th. In one of the stranger and most delightful turn of events that resulted from my camp out, I got an invite from a Tesla insider (who wishes to remain anonymous) for a factory tour and will be just returning from that on the 13th. Hope we can make one of those two days work!

We're heading to Boone this morning and driving the Blue Ridge Parkway towards Asheville. This should be fun!

You are in for a truly memorable trip. Most people are unaware that North Carolina has high mountains (at least for the East Coast) which are among some of the oldest on earth. I hope the weather holds for you, because late thunderstorms are predicted. You may be above the clouds today on some of the high stretches of the Parkway.

If you are staying in Asheville tonight, please be sure you have a reservation. It will be packed up there this weekend.

Late this afternoon, we are heading to our mountain house in Roaring Gap which is about 60 miles east of Boone in the mountains just off the Blue Ridge Parkway for the week.

http://i.imgur.com/Lnmhyoc.jpg

I hope you enjoy the trip..

@Mad Hungarian Sounds good to me! How about a Sunday brunch on the 14th? Any Tesla enthusiasts in the Montreal area welcome. Any recommendations for a venue? Maybe something off in the country a little with ample parking and tasty food? :D

Sorry to now officially threadjack this, but I think I've finally got a good plan going here...
Since the Place Vertu shopping mall near the center of the island in Montreal has a spanking new 12-stall SC facility and a pretty good breakfast place called Allo Mon Coco, I thought it be a good spot for the get-together. The other interesting news is that I've been in touch with Silke and Rolfe, the couple doing the TeslaXCanada tour, since they started their trip and they will be arriving in Montreal this week. They were scheduled to head out on Friday but I've asked if they can hangon 'till Sunday to make the event. I also want to inivite the local media out to cover their story and thought it would be great if we could have a good showing of cars to fill it out and show off the new location too.
Lastly I'm also involved with another EV project that I hope to spotlight at the same time. I'm working with Bruno Marcoux, an ex regional director for AVEQ, on a group buy of Nissan Leafs for Canada. We had hoped to get maybe a couple of dozen more EV's on the road with this. It's gone WAY past that. Here's the link to article in Clean Technica.
We blew past 1400 people signed up on Friday night and it's still climbing. We haven't even publicized in in the rest of the country yet.
I'm hoping Nissan can handle the volume! News to come in on that a separate thread in the general EV section when I have more news.
Still need to determine a schedule, but at this I'm thinking a 9:00 am breakfast followed by the media event at around 11:00 am. For any and all that might be interested in joining us for the food portion of the program, please RSVP here so I can get an idea how many seats to reserve. Details as they happen.
Note I'm travelling around the SF Bay area 'till Saturday (factory tour on Tuesday afternoon, woohoo!) and am not a tech genius so replies here may be sporadic, your patience is appreciated.

UPDATE: Silke just confirmed, TeslaXCanada will be there!