Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip into Canada (Whistler-Blackcomb): A Few Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a ski trip planned up to Whistler in March and I just have a few questions about crossing the border with a Tesla.

1. Will the ATT service in the car still work?
I searched a bit on the forums about this. The few old threads I found seemed to say that for a while the service did not work at all but then it started working after an update. Any recent reports to confirm that I will still have connection? This is a US spec car going into Canada, which seems to make a difference.

2. Charging?
I know Canadian superchargers are the same spec as in the US but does the same hold true for ChaDeMo and J1772?

3. When changing the car to show km/hour will it also change all the other readings?
i.e. will it show Celsius, Wh/km, and my charge in terms km rather than miles? Is there a way to keep everything as is and only change to km/hour?

4. Anything else I should know. I have never driven in Canada before.

Hi there - don't worry, everything will work just fine

1 - Data should work ok, you may need to reboot screen (crossing the other way sometimes needs a reboot for me)
2 - Chargers are all the same, we have more that cost 0$ than you guys do
3 - No, it's all or nothing
4 - We're very courteous any obey the 'Zipper' rule when merging. A wave of thanks goes a long way!

You'll love Whistler

Reactions: McManX
I have a ski trip planned up to Whistler in March and I just have a few questions about crossing the border with a Tesla.

1. Will the ATT service in the car still work?
I searched a bit on the forums about this. The few old threads I found seemed to say that for a while the service did not work at all but then it started working after an update. Any recent reports to confirm that I will still have connection? This is a US spec car going into Canada, which seems to make a difference.

2. Charging?
I know Canadian superchargers are the same spec as in the US but does the same hold true for ChaDeMo and J1772?

3. When changing the car to show km/hour will it also change all the other readings?
i.e. will it show Celsius, Wh/km, and my charge in terms km rather than miles? Is there a way to keep everything as is and only change to km/hour?

4. Anything else I should know. I have never driven in Canada before.
Great trip! I did it last summer and had no issues charging other than a total lack of superchargers close to the City of Vancouver. If you are spending any time in Vancouver on your trip either get a hotel with a destination charger (several downtown) or use the plug share app which will direct you to several destination chargers that are available in the area.

Once you get to Whistler, there are several hotels that have destination chargers, but the best deal I found was at the convention center parking garage which only charges $10 per 24 hour period and has two destination chargers and at least one J1772 included for free.

In fact, other than some of the Chademo chargers, every public charger in BC seems to be free other than the cost of parking in some places. Seemed to be something to do with the fact that only the power utility can sell you power except in limited circumstances. Either way, BC has lots of cheap hydro power and is a EV paradise.

If I recall correctly, temp settings are separate from distance/speed, so you can see km and Fahrenheit at the same time.

I agree that everything else works normally.

Perfect thanks everyone! Superchargers make this trip easy and plenty of charging available in Whisler as well. Hotel has valet with charging and if I need to top off to make it to Squamish on the way then I can get a quick bump from the ChaDeMo at the convention center.

Re zipper merge - I am always the guy that gets pissed at others for doing it wrong, even when it doesn't effect me

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
1) Data worked without issues
2) Found lot of free chargers, plug share and destination chargers are your best friends. Would love more SC near Vancouver downtown and nearby cities.
3) you can choose separately between different units one each for temp and distance
4) Use range mode and have 50% range buffer for the trips.

McManX,

It would be our pleasure to welcome you to Vancouver should your plans allow...take a peek at www.theloden.com/ev-charging/

Recently experienced driving to California...with a Canadian spec'd MS...everything works, and our guests visiting from the US found it to be the same.

Enjoy the view of the sea-to-sky drive in the MX

Cheers

Wish I had the time but only passing through Vancouver this time