Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove 1500 miles using ABRP and it was a relatively quick, easy trip with minimal pleasant stops.
I drove 1000 miles purely using the nav, and it was a slog, wasting huge amounts of time unnecessarily at charging stations. It probably added more than a full day, mostly spend on Target or grocery store parking lot asphalt. Never again. I'm 56, and life's too short for that.
Wow, that’s unusual - not my experience for sure.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I mostly use ABRP to plan how to achieve the arrival SoC that I want at the destination, particularly if I don't have access to L2 charging, or if I need to run errands. Sometimes it's not as simple as just charging extra at the last stop, because often times the last stop is too far from the destination to have my desired SoC on arrival, without making either an additional stop, or changing where the last stop is.

I also like to use it to preplan trips ahead of time, so I can see what amenities are at the charging stops, particularly if I have family with me. And sometimes I use it, because I'm being a cheapskate, and want to mix in a few EA chargers instead of superchargers if I'm going thru a high cost peak rate area, such as in California.

Wow, that’s unusual - not my experience for sure.
I think part of the problem was that the nav used to say "You now have enough charge to continue your trip". It no longer does. Now you go from 15 minutes... 10 minutes... 5 minutes... 45 minutes... wait, what? That leap back to 45 is where it went from continuing the trip to doing a full charge. There's no indication on-screen of what you're actually waiting on anymore. And the trip planner screen on the energy "app" is for the last leg, the one you just completed and no longer care about, and not the projected upcoming leg. So you you have to click "Begin Trip" on the map screen (sometimes twice) for it to recalculate on the energy app. So, in short, you have to sit in the car and monitor it now just to know what's going on.
And no, it didn't used to be like this.

I think part of the problem was that the nav used to say "You now have enough charge to continue your trip". It no longer does. Now you go from 15 minutes... 10 minutes... 5 minutes... 45 minutes... wait, what? That leap back to 45 is where it went from continuing the trip to doing a full charge. There's no indication on-screen of what you're actually waiting on anymore. And the trip planner screen on the energy "app" is for the last leg, the one you just completed and no longer care about, and not the projected upcoming leg. So you you have to click "Begin Trip" on the map screen (sometimes twice) for it to recalculate on the energy app. So, in short, you have to sit in the car and monitor it now just to know what's going on.
And no, it didn't used to be like this.
Which firmware version are you on? I'm on 2022-12-3-20

Mine still says "to continue trip" while charging.. and the energy graph definitely shows the next leg, as yesterday while charging, it showed a negative number.

I mostly use ABRP ahead of time to get a feel for how many stops it is going to take and to see how many chargers are along the way. I NEVER use it on the center screen -- I just plug my destination into the tesla routeplanner and adjust accordingly -- I usually try to hit all the chargers ABRP told me to stop at and adjust my charging to make it to those stops. I find the tesla planner wants me to make less stops but to spend WAAY more time at those fewer stops -- I'm not going to sit and wait for my car to charge up to 80% unless it's the last stop along the way and I want extra charge when I arrive at the destination since the charging speed drops off so much after 60% -- it's better to arrive very low (less than 10%) and leave the charger around 60%.

Reactions: Johnny Vector