TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Road Trip next week. MI to FL. Need help/advice

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Zooomer, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

Family road trip, so far we're planning on staying at great wolf lodge (Mason OH) but they have no charging there. I don't know how to not 'lose' a night of charging.

One of the issues I'm having is finding hotels to stay at. It seems difficult to search for value/charging/amenities. Really hard.

We're visiting mammoth cave and Atlanta aquarium, in FL universal studios. (staying in Orlando 3 days).

Any other suggestions on places to go? Hotel planning? Must see things?

My wife and our 5 yr old makes 3 of us total.

• Love x 1
  2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Why is it important to charge overnight on this trip? Trying to save a little time every day, by charging while you sleep?

There's a Wyngate hotel 10 miles closer to Cincinnati, with two 16 kWh chargers: Find Us | Tesla

Or maybe skip charging that night? Looking at EV Trip Planner the trip planner recommends supercharging in Lima and then in Cincinnati, 122 RM apart. If you need more buffer for local driving you could top off in Dayton. Or visit the Cincinnati SC twice: it's less than 15 miles from Mason.

Another useful site: PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car!

3. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

To find destination chargers go to:

Tesla.com/Findus and select destination

You can also find level 2 chargers at plugshare.com. it shows chargers at hotels also.

In Orlando the fastest charge is the Turkey Lake Supercharger but it is on the Florida Turnpike. There are a lot of food options at the rest stop.

Disney Springs is free parking and has 6 level 2 chargers , 3 on the 5th floor of each parking garage.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Even if you stay at a hotel that doesn't have charging, you can usually plug into a 120V outlet on the outside of the building or in the garage and pick up some miles. It you get the 5-20 adapter you'll do even better, as most commercial 120V outlets are 20A rather than the typical household 15A outlet.

• Like x 1
  5. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

Thanks! The only reason I wanted to charge at night was to save trip time carting a 5 year old.
    There are more than enough SC's to make it there (P100DL) but it's frequent stopping of 20-25 min a time. I figure if I can charge at night 100%, I'd be able to drive the first 4 hours w/o stopping saving nearly an hour per day.
    Since it's a 20 hr drive and we're doing 3.5 days to get there, that's a lot of potential time savings (and we have to sleep somewhere anyway...)

6. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

Toss the valet $10 and ask him to leave it plugged in overnight. I recently stayed at Disney for a whole week and their hotels don't have plugs, but the valet area had plugs in the columns near the hotel entrance.