Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip problems/questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my wife took the M3P from CT to IL, then to Southern TX. I was her remote co pilot. She is navigationally challenged, and both of us are still learning some of the nuanced features of the interface. So here's what happened, what I learned, and some questions.

The ability to share navigation destinations to the car is awesome! We never drive through NYC, but that's where the navigation was taking her. So I dropped a pin on google maps, in the middle of the Tappan Zee bridge and sent it to the car. I also did that with a couple of chargers for her. What an amazing feature! The ability to see her location in the app was great but in cases where traffic or the roads were tricky, when I tried to zoom in the map went right back out to show nearby superchargers. That was freaking annoying, and really hindered my ability to be the extra set of eyes. The voice navigation self muting is still a major issue, and unless you are constantly checking it will force you to watch the map on the screen. That needs fixed ASAP.

The pirelli P zeros that came on the car... After driving 1000 miles when she arrived in a small town in the middle of no where, me father noticed both left side tires had sidewall bubbles (9000 miles on the tires). We think it was from hitting a pothole. This was 5:00 PM on a friday. Luckly A local tire shop could get 2 in n Monday, but he wasn't a Pirelli dealer. Pirelli's website listed most of the local car dealers as authorized Pirelli dealers. I called all of them the next day - none of them knew anything about Pirelli tires or warranty. USAA doesn't cover tires, so there was $980 out of pocket. But she was able to continue to TX the next day.

We had an issue where the navigation was telling her she would arrive at the next charger with -5% even though there were several chargers before that one. Easy to work around, but annoying. Best charging experiences were when the chargers was at an actual gas station or truck stop. Worst were in front of malls. Over 3 days and probably 15 charging stops, 5 yes 5 times she was charging alone and someone pulled in and started charging right next to her! I'm amazed that there are Tesla owners that don't know what this does. Knowing how my wife is on driving in unfamiliar places, I tried to be available when she was pulling off to charge and I noticed my car never pre conditioned before charging, even though it was navigating to the charger.

Am I missing a setting somewhere that would cause the car to not precondition when charging along a route? Is there a way to keep my zoom on the map in the app? Any new fixes for voice navigation?

Other that the issues, she kept saying "This car is amazing!" or "I LOVE this car!" I can't wait to fly down and make the return trip with her.

Charging next to someone doesn't necessarily mean slowing down. On a V3 supercharger it won't make any difference. Most people don't care about those details, they just plug. If it happens to you on a V2, just move your car. It's no use trying to argue with that other person.

When you navigate to a supercharger, the car will make sure the battery's warm enough. If it will be warm enough without generating extra heat, you will not get the message on screen. The car's still taking care of it.

In the car it's very easy to see available chargers and add an intermediate destination in the navigation. Probably much better than through the mobile app.

Regarding pre conditioning, the car is supposed to do that (or not do that) depending on battery temperature, and how far you are from the supercharger. If it didnt pre condition its because it thought it didnt need to, because the battery was warm enough.

Reactions: Big Earl
I think if you tap the little red warning on each individual seat it turns off the warning. I had this jssue with my 75 lb dog (who surprisingly fit and seemed to like the model 3) and accidentally figured it out by touching it. if that is what youre asking...