TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Road trip question - Bugs on windshield - how to clean?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dbullard, Jul 13, 2014.

1. dbullard

dbullard Member

Is it OK to stop at a gas station and use their squeegee if I'm not buying gas?

I’ve always used the stop for gas to clean the windshield with the station's squeegee and cleaning fluid. Sometimes you really have to scrub when they get glued on.

Since I’m going to TMC Connect, and won’t be buying gas, do you think it’s OK to use the squeegee?

I guess I could buy something at the convenience store to justify it. Or bring some cleaning supplies - what do you guys do when you’re on a long road trip in your Tesla?

2. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

3. mmh

mmh Member

For quick clean-ups on road trips I keep a small box in the frunk with Stoner Invisible Glass, microfiber rags, MOTHERS California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer and other miscellaneous items. Invisible Glass is the best glass cleaner I've ever used, works great for getting nearly everything off glass (except for hard water spots; the you'll need water & vinegar mixed 50/50 in a spray bottle). I use Showtime to wipe bugs off the hood and front of the car, works well as to not take off the wax and maintain a polished look.

If I had nothing else with me, I would and have in the past used the squeegee at gas stations, but generally try to avoid it when I can as it usually leaves my windows streaky.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Heck, I still stop at gas stations and use the squeegee. I was there the other day and the guy pumping gas next to me said his kid in the car was wondering what a Tesla was doing at a gas pump!

5. SBerg

SBerg Member

I keep cleaner and cloths in the car, but have not had good results with microfiber, especially if cool outside.

6. Alexander

Alexander P# 8,878

If i didn't have a cleaning kit and had to stop at a gas station, I'd probably a bottle of water or a snack. That way they can't complain when I start using the squeegee.

On a different note, I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about gas prices. It felt REALLY good not having to care about that stuff anymore. No more fuel anxiety ;)

7. tga

tga Active Member

Windex Wipes (in the big pop up tub). Also good for removing dog nose prints on the inside.

8. mgdurand

mgdurand Member

It's ok to pull into a gas station and use their squeegee. No one minds. Unless you steal the squeegee, so don't steal the squeegee.

9. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

People do it in ICE cars, and stop at all sorts of places (restaurants, stores, etc.) to use restrooms without buying things. Stopping just to borrow a squeegee and use a bit of water is about the least "taking advantage" (in quotes 'cuz it's not really) I can imagine. So I wouldn't sweat it or buy something just to "justify" using the squeegee.

Also, I'm sure ICE drivers do it--so why not EV drivers? I'm sure I did it when I owned an ICE; I wouldn't bat an eye at doing it with my EV, either. I'm pretty sure they see it as part of overhead--and again, you're only using a bit of water.