Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Range - Actual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did a back and forth along CA 99 last weekend -- Rocklin to Clovis. Uses about 350wh / mile if doing ~75mph down the freeway. You do notice the hills quite a bit in the energy meter. Ran around in the hills near there while taking my parents for a drive. Did a range charge before leaving Rocklin, did a standard charge for coming back. Had plenty of range. Didn't run AC or heat much, it was a really day pair of days here in California.

Left Clovis with full standard charge (240 rated, around 220 projected), made it to Rocklin with ~20 miles left. Near the end of it I was going closer to 65 and that's matches very close to the rated miles so projected and rated were nearly the same.

The trip is about 200 miles. The estimates from the car appear spot on. No reason to travel in the slow lane, imho.

Thanks for the post. That is exactly the kind of data I'm hoping will find it's way to this thread. If I read it correctly, you could have gone 220 miles with no problem, especially if you didn't have the kids, and didn't do any showing off to family and friends? BTW, I'm a Bay Area native and my wife grew up in Kentfield. What was your destination and route?

I don't think 220 miles would have been an issue at all. It was a trip from Kentfield to my husband's homeland of Lodi and back. San Rafael-Richmond bridge, Richmond Parkway, 80 to 4, 4 through Antioch (hence the traffic) to 160 to 12 to Lodi. And back again. I will PM you with the Kentfield details.

On the same topic--is there a place that will estimate distance based on elevation changes for EV drivers?
Just wondering how to conveniently integrate handling these calculations into typical driving scenarios as in ICE vehicles I never had to think about it. Would be nice if there was a reference that made this a no brainer for EV drivers.

Cheers.
Yeah, just checking the elev. diff between start and finish wouldn't do it. It might be all one steady climb, or 2/3 of the rise might be repeated 4X with lots of up-and-downing crossing ridges and ranges, etc. Regen would return some of that, but that would vary, and only a rough guess could be made.

Was hoping to drive from Morgan Hill to Las Vegas next month, but it looks iffy at best.
From here to Harris Ranch is about 120 miles. Very easy, and I will go quickly through Pacheco pass (love that drive).
Harris Ranch to Barstow is another 229, but you go up quite a bit to the high desert (4000 ft climb). It does go downhill again to Barstow (1500 ft decline, most of it right away). I suppose this can be done if done conservatively, but that is boring country up there and is best done quickly!
Barstow to Las Vegas is another 151 miles, which should be easy (even with the climb).
Anyone know of good chargers in Bakersfield for a lunchtime stop?

On PlugShare, it says Nissan of Bakersfield is a good site, though it may be a little slow for you. The notes for that entry also say "Friendly staff. Note: not much food or shopping nearby, but Crest RV Park and Bar & Grill is nearby. You can also charge at Crest RV Park for $10 fee and enjoy pool, spa, putting green, etc. "

ddenboer: "Was hoping to drive from Morgan Hill to Las Vegas next month"

I'm planning a drive from NorCal to Arizona in December and decided not to try to make it to Barstow from Harris Ranch in one leg. Rather, Harris Ranch to Tejon (142 mi) then Tejon to Barstow (117 mi). It only adds about 30 miles to the trip, well worth it for being able to drive at posted speed limits.

Here's my best projected range so far......
2012-11-19 10.08.38.jpg

It is valid to require an adjusted range due to rain/wet roadways. In aircraft while in a holding pattern at constant altitude and airspeed, fuel consumption is increased considerably by precip. over clear conditions. Also, during my five years driving a Prius, I've noticed quite a decrease in MPG due to rain/wet roads.

Started with a standard charge of around 243 miles rated range and drove two separate 140 and 160 mile trips this weekend. Average speed was a little over 70 mph each trip and ended up with 60 miles left the first day and around 80 the second day. I think the average Wh/mile was around 350.

Real world range

General area: Seattle
Vehicle: Signature Performance with 21" silver wheels and Continental tires
Roughly 700 miles at beginning of trips

Sample 1
Duration: 5 mi.
46 F outside, cruise control at 60, neither pedal touched, driver heater @ 1, climate control off, wipers @ 2, slacker @ volume 3
Range_Sample1.jpg

Sample 2
Location: I-405 S, just north of 520 (roughly the reverse of Trip 1)
46 F outside, cruise control at 60, neither pedal touched, driver heater @ 1, climate control auto @ 72 + front defroster, wipers @ 2, slacker @ volume 3
Range_Sample2a.jpg
Range_Sample2b.jpg

Sample 3
45-46 F outside, cruise control at 65, neither pedal touched, driver heater @ 1, climate control auto @ 72 + front defroster, wipers @ 3-4, slacker @ volume 5
Range_Sample3a.jpg
Range_Sample3b.jpg

Sample 4
Duration: 5mi.
43-45 F outside, cruise control at 70, ...
Aborted because traction control and cruise control were having a dispute that made me cancel cruise control.

Sample 5
Duration: 5mi.
42-45 F outside, cruise control at 70, neither pedal touched, driver heater @ 1, climate control auto @ 72 + front defroster, wipers @ 4, USB media @ volume 5
Range_Sample5.jpg

Additional notes of interest:
1. Sometime after sample 3, Slacker radio cut out and my "3G" bars changed to "E" bars.
2. I cancelled my jaunt and headed home after I was greeted with snow. Visibility was awful with the wipers soon after sample 5 even before the snow.

Snow.jpg

Sorry for the crappy image quality. Note that these are at 25% scale, and I'll hang on to the originals for at least a few days.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm a new guy. Aren't we supposed to keep them plugged in all the time?
Yes, but that may not be possible in all circumstances, e.g. at an airport.

That's awesome!!! My Acura just dies (silently). I hope my model S beeps when it gets low (which should be after about 22 days given the 10-mile per day vampire effect).
Beeping wouldn't do much except draw down the battery further! The car should send a text message.