Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip - should I rent a Tesla or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

My family and I are planning a road trip for approximately two weeks to the UK (will fly from Sweden to Manchester). We haven't decided 100% on the itinerary but we would love to visit Snowdonia, Lake District, and around York (recommendations are appreciated!). When looking at rental cars the Tesla Model 3 is one of the cheapest alternatives, even if you include the ICE cars. I also have a Model Y RWD at home, which makes it an even more interesting choice. However, I have some concerns:
  • Charging stations seem to be a rare sight, especially in Snowdonia (SuC in Flink). Should I worry?
  • Road quality. If the roads are bad and bumpy, I'd consider a car with better suspension (Tesla's is just awful).
  • A high deductible for Tesla. I have only checked a few rental places so far, but Hertz seems a good choice (recommendations are appreciated here as well!).
We are a total of three people in the car: myself, my partner, and our two-year-old son. For the last days of our trip we will probably return the car and explore Manchester and Liverpool.

Looking forward to reading your comments!

/Mattias from Sweden

Where are you planning on staying, hotels, campsites or Air BnB? If it’s hotels look for destination chargers.
Download ZapMap app to see UK chargers.
Wales is a bit thin for Tesla chargers but I think you’d get on ok if you understand electric cars and plan your journey.

Reactions: boombap
I'll be honest. An ICEV would definitely be one less thing to worry about. And i would not recommend renting a non Tesla BEV due to the patchy state of our charging. But if you can get to Snowdon and back charging at Flint then I think you will be fine for the rest of the locations you want to visit. Though queueing at superchargers is a distinct possibility. You won't actually save much on fuel either if you are entirely dependant on rapid chargers.
Rhug farm is the other good option for charging on the way to/from Snowdon. but probably not if you are coming from Manchester/liverpool way. It has 8 rapid instavolt chargers
If you want to see the charging options in the UK then ZapMap is the best option and A better route planner is also invaluable. Not sure if either of those exist in Sweden.

Presume you have an EV at home and know what you're dealing with? The hire car will likely be a RWD (Standard Range) rather than Long Range.

Motorways, Lakes and York won't be a huge problem. Expect things to average out as about half or 2/3rds the cost of petrol.
As others have said, Wales is the main issue - personally I'd do the Tesla if you can find accommodation with an EV charger or willing to granny charge you. Otherwise probably ICE.

You won't find a cheap hire car with much better suspension IMHO

High deductible - in the UK you can get relatively cheap insurance for hire car deductibles, I presume the same is true for Sweden?
Do check if the hire car comes with a Type 2 and/or UMC.

Hi everyone!

My family and I are planning a road trip for approximately two weeks to the UK (will fly from Sweden to Manchester). We haven't decided 100% on the itinerary but we would love to visit Snowdonia, Lake District, and around York (recommendations are appreciated!). When looking at rental cars the Tesla Model 3 is one of the cheapest alternatives, even if you include the ICE cars. I also have a Model Y RWD at home, which makes it an even more interesting choice. However, I have some concerns:
  • Charging stations seem to be a rare sight, especially in Snowdonia (SuC in Flink). Should I worry?
  • Road quality. If the roads are bad and bumpy, I'd consider a car with better suspension (Tesla's is just awful).
  • A high deductible for Tesla. I have only checked a few rental places so far, but Hertz seems a good choice (recommendations are appreciated here as well!).
We are a total of three people in the car: myself, my partner, and our two-year-old son. For the last days of our trip we will probably return the car and explore Manchester and Liverpool.

/Mattias from Sweden
not sure - wales is crap charging wise. rent petrol and save yourself a headache

…. we will probably return the car and explore Manchester and Liverpool.

I think that is the best plan in your whole itinerary :)

@Mr H and others can expand on that as Mattias is new to Liverpool and Manchester :)

Anyhow, beside the jokes, I think @Jason71 and others have clearly underlined the problems. The roads here are terrible and Tesla ride in some of those amazing winding roads in Wales will make the back seat passengers throw up because of the jiggly ride in Model 3. And then supercharger issues are well known. If I were you I would choose a comfy ICE car with less harsh ride to enjoy the Wales trip. As mentioned above nice to know that you are returning the car before you go to Liverpool!

Last edited:
To get around Manchester then the Metrolink is easy to use, no need to buy tickets, just tap your bank card when you get on and again when getting off, the latter is very important because if you don't then you'll pay the standard day fare which is always more expensive. Don't forget The Trafford Centre for some retail therapy, easily accessed on the tram if you've already returned the car.

Beetham Tower

Liverpool Road and Castlefield for the Science Museum and the 'worlds' first railway station.

Midland Hotel for afternoon tea and the place where Rolls Royce started, although i would heartily recommend The Richmond Tea Rooms, where we go quite often

Cheers for all the great answers!

I have done a bit of research and I think we'd be ok with a Tesla in Snowdonia. There are some EV charging stations around (not many, but they exist).

However, if the roads are that bad we will most definitely rent an ICE car. A bumpy ride is no pleasure.

I won't ask regarding Liverpool and Manchester ;) but it sounds like the right choice to leave the car before visiting both cities!

However, if the roads are that bad we will most definitely rent an ICE car. A bumpy ride is no pleasure.

I won't ask regarding Liverpool and Manchester ;) but it sounds like the right choice to leave the car before visiting both cities!
UK roads are not as smooth as roads in Europe. And model 3 back seat passengers really can feel the jiggly ride. If it is a child shouldn’t be an issue. The only reason you need a Tesla here is to navigate the congested motorway roads using EAP. Otherwise, For the roads in Wales or the lakes AP isn’t suitable and Tesla will keep panicking (and ideally AP shouldn’t be used) if you use AP in those beautiful bendy roads.

Yes forget about taking your car to Liverpool. Watch this famous clip if you don’t believe me.

Last edited:
UK roads are not as smooth as roads in Europe. And model 3 back seat passengers really can feel the jiggly ride. If it is a child shouldn’t be an issue. The only reason you need a Tesla here is to navigate the congested motorway roads using EAP. Otherwise, For the roads in Wales or the lakes AP isn’t suitable and Tesla will keep panicking (and ideally AP shouldn’t be used) if you use AP in those beautiful bendy roads.

Yes forget about taking your car to Liverpool. Watch this famous clip if you don’t believe me.

Love Top Gear!

Hehe, I will definitely leave the car then :)

Welsh roads (and those in the Scottish highlands too) are generally much smoother and better maintained than English roads, in my experience.

Major roads and motorway are generally okay (i.e. not continuously bumpy or uncomfortable), but watch out for occasional serious potholes even in motorways, especially in the lanes used by trucks. Hitting one of these at speed in any hire car could be expensive.

I think you’d find it easy in a Tesla, and also using ABRP / ZapMap. Charging is only really potentially actually problematic (besides having to queue at times) in far northwestern Scotland and Cornwall. Wales isn’t really big enough to cause an issue, especially now with Rhug Estate Farm and the other Supercharger site in Aberystwyth.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Don't count on Superchargers in East Yorkshire or Lincolnshire there aren't any!
there is a thin smattering of destination chargers though.

Attachments

• UK Supercharger Free Zone.jpg
    UK Supercharger Free Zone.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 76