Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying motels or stores near chargers don’t permit rest room access? Would it be a matter of buying something to change that?
The issue is that some hotels have restricted their lobby restrooms to guests only due to COVID and some superchargers in the rural west are located at these hotels with no other close options. Stores/mini marts/truck stops/ travel centers are all generally still open to all, I just generally try and avoid those locations due to COVID concerns.

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice from some seasoned model 3 road trippers.

I’m going to be driving from Los Angeles to Orlando in about 2 weeks.
I’ve done the trip in two and a half days earlier in the year in a ICE car, yes we were pushing big time with 12-14 hour days.

I’m currently planing on a 4 day trip, I think the worst day will be the first since I sort of need to make El Paso (830 miles) to make the rest of the trip work. Day two will be to Houston, day three to mobile, and then roll home with a short final day to Orlando.

I have booked hotels with destination charger so I can hopefully start the days with a good SOC.

Is it a feasible plan? Do I need to plan in a fifth day?
I've done this trip solo a couple times. Supercharger stops are spaced out nicely and navigate on autopilot is super useful on the long stretches of road between El Centro to San Antonio. For context I set the cruise control speed 2-5 miles per hour above the posted speed limit.

San Diego -- Miami -- San Diego

Left at 8am, made it Fort Stockton but decided to go to the next supercharger (Ozona) that had a supercharger at quality inn and slept in the parking lot. Day 2 - Drove all the way to Mobile and slept in the Mall parking lot while I was charging. Arrived in Miami in less than 3 days.

On the return trip I was more efficient and made it back in a little over 48 hours.. sleeping during the 20-40 minute charges.

Your plan looks solid. I did't stop at hotels but if I did, I'd plan it so that I get at least 10 hours of driving not including supercharging time.

The construction on the 10 east of San Antonio to Lake Charles is horrible. Expect traffic and horrible roads.

I use % and the predictions for stops with superchargers is pretty accurate. Cold weather (less than 40), high winds, and excessive speed (80+) will drain the battery more quickly. Warm weather, driving at or slightly over the speed limit, the car is pretty accurate. If it says you'll get there with 20%, It's gonna be close to 20%.

Last edited: