Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Take 3 - yaaaaaaah - Melbourne to Darwin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes - I'm seriously thinking about this so I thought I'd start a new thread.

As with my previous two road trips I'll ask if anyone has any ideas/suggestions/etc (even if it's "Don't do it!") would you please submit them. They were invaluable last time.

I'll post the plan as soon as I have a rough one mapped out to seek further assistance.

Also, I am contemplating getting the upgrade to dual chargers - what's everyone's reaction to that?

Very excited! Sharon's already looking up accomodation.

(I know this sounds a bit crazy - my car's not even repaired yet from our last roady!)

This is going to be an epic!!! Just going to follow long for when I have a shot at it. Personally I think dual chargers may be handy especially if you want to do a few longer than range driving days in between interesting things.When I went from Alice to Darwin I remember there being come pretty decent treks from one interesting spot to the next.

As with my previous two road trips I'll ask if anyone has any ideas/suggestions/etc (even if it's "Don't do it!") would you please submit them. They were invaluable last time.

I'll post the plan as soon as I have a rough one mapped out to seek further assistance.

Also, I am contemplating getting the upgrade to dual chargers - what's everyone's reaction to that?

(I know this sounds a bit crazy - my car's not even repaired yet from our last roady!)

I changed my order on dual chargers, single charger only, big mistake, what was I thinking? Have to wait until the next Perth Tesla visit for a retrofit. It appears as if there's plenty of 32amp three phase in regional areas, if your going to a regular road trip warrior it's well worth the dual chargers by halving stopping times at roadhouses.

Honestly Apal just book your car in for the dual chargers now. I mean right now before 5pm! Then order a Maxicharger from EVnomics. That is the key major critical benefit of owning the "classic" Model S.

I'm only allowed to option up by 50% charging rate with the "upgraded" Model S. On Monday (a very long day) I had 2 top up charging stops (3 phase 32A outlets) of 3 hours each. They would be 4 hours each with your current single charger - yuk! But with dual chargers they would be a very pleasant 2 hours each.

Also - who knows - one day they may run out of the now-obsolete dual chargers and you might never get the upgrade!

In my humble opinion - go for it ! ! ! ;)

Last edited:
On Monday (a very long day) I had 2 top up charging stops (3 phase 32A outlets) of 3 hours each. They would be 4 hours each with your current single charger
Hi Richard. Thanks for checking in on plugshare on your SYD-MEL route. I'm planning Melbourne to Merimbula via Highway 1 and with a single charger . . . . . so I'm taking your wise advice and getting the upgrade a.s.a.p.
Single chargers are OK in the big smoke, but when it comes to 3 phase rural trips - dual (or 16.5 in our case) is the way to go.

Reactions: RichardMcN
Hi Richard. Thanks for checking in on plugshare on your SYD-MEL route. I'm planning Melbourne to Merimbula via Highway 1 and with a single charger . . . . . so I'm taking your wise advice and getting the upgrade a.s.a.p.
Single chargers are OK in the big smoke, but when it comes to 3 phase rural trips - dual (or 16.5 in our case) is the way to go.
Good on you Novatec. I came back to Syd via the coast. A lovely drive (and even more lovely when you don't have to wait ages more than you need:)). I can see you've been out and about (e.g. Ballarat) with your new machine.

Reactions: Novatec
so I'm taking your wise advice and getting the upgrade a.s.a.p.
If you're going soon, the time limiting thing might be getting the EVSE supply connector (e.g. Maxicharger) which can take a fortnight or so to fly in, rather than the charger upgrade itself (10 min over-the-air for the facelifted Model S).
I got one with a 7m cable, which has proved handy.

Great news alpal. Glad to hear you are up for this journey. I can advise you that OGDEN Power will welcome you to Alice Springs and introduce you to their free charge station. They have a 3 year old LEAF but you can guess what their preference would be today. I began researching the journey from Adelaide to Alice Springs and found a mine near Coober Pedy prepared to assist with a charge up on the 250km stretch. I was planning for a LEAF at that stage. Am also sure that Brendan Heenan at the Mac Range Caravan Park would be keen to welcome you and assist in any way he could. If you make it by mid August we would also be please to welcome you to the Henley on Todd. If I can help with more contacts or information please make contact. I was hoping to get a surf boarder from Adelaide to Alice Springs for HOT if you have a spare seat.

Someone from the Forum was suggesting a TESLA conference in Alice Springs next year so you will be the pioneer to prove it is possible.

[email protected] or 0423 507 967 if you prefer to discuss off forum.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Great news alpal. Glad to hear you are up for this journey. I can advise you that OGDEN Power will welcome you to Alice Springs and introduce you to their free charge station. They have a 3 year old LEAF but you can guess what their preference would be today. I began researching the journey from Adelaide to Alice Springs and found a mine near Coober Pedy prepared to assist with a charge up on the 250km stretch. I was planning for a LEAF at that stage. Am also sure that Brendan Heenan at the Mac Range Caravan Park would be keen to welcome you and assist in any way he could. If you make it by mid August we would also be please to welcome you to the Henley on Todd. If I can help with more contacts or information please make contact. I was hoping to get a surf boarder from Adelaide to Alice Springs for HOT if you have a spare seat.

Someone from the Forum was suggesting a TESLA conference in Alice Springs next year so you will be the pioneer to prove it is possible.

[email protected] or 0423 507 967 if you prefer to discuss off forum.
No word from you alpal. Keen to monoplise your time in Alice Springs or just wave as you pass through. Have lots of positive things you could do in central Australia and keen to help. Hope to hear from you soon. [email protected]

Thanks alpal
So sorry RichBentley for not responding earlier - just trying to get my s*** together. Life has a way of getting in the way of fun. Roadtrip is a definite - just not certain that it can be imminent! Will keep you informed.

The Eco Fair run by the Arid Lands Environment Centre in mid August would have been one more great event to show case your car. In June each year we have the Finke Desert race- an electric car will clean up there sooner than many think. Look forward to hearing from you when the time is right.

Hey Apal tooking forward to catching ip in Melb.

I know you are planning Melb to Darwin up the middle. We are are on the Stuart Highway now Tennant Creek to Darwin.

I have some 3 phase outlets in the boot.

Have you done any planning in this section? If so happy to drop them an outlet, or check anything out

Or if you have any tips that would be great too.

We will pass on anything we find too.

Just sent a PM / conversation with contact details.