Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip Texas to Washington

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Better Routeplanner

I use this all the time for our road trips, including multi-day trips. It can be as simple or as complex as you want.

The in-car nav is fine too, but it likes to make fewer stops, which should be a little slower, and more uncomfortable for me. Usually I make a list of the Superchargers from ABRP and enter the next one as the nav destination after we have started charging. Then we take off when the nav says we'll reach our destination with about 15% charge remaining. If that 15% dwindles down to 10% as we're driving I'll slow down enough to maintain that 10%. Usually 3 MPH slower will do the trick. Having to slow for traffic actually increases range, so no problem there. A big detour is what you're 10%-15% safety margin is for. A sudden rain, snow, or headwind can reduce your range. If you don't want to slow down a lot it is nice to add a little extra charge, though it will cost some time. The nav assumes you will be driving an "average" speed for the route, so if you like to drive fast or know you will be faster than normal on a particular segment you might add extra charge. High speed kills range, but slowing down increases range so you have lots of control over reaching the next Supercharger. We've never had a problem reaching a Supercharger in three years and 35k miles of traveling with our X.

As far as visiting lots of Superchargers, you'll probably visit most of them on your direct route. It is usually slightly faster if you can arrive at each Supercharger close to 0% charge (we only go down to 15%) and leave with just enough charge to reach your next Supercharger. ABRP will optimize your route and charging to minimize you trip time. If you are going to stop for a meal or a hotel stay, go ahead and let the car charge the whole time, 90% if you won't be driving immediately or up to 100% if you will be driving off within a short time. That will save you a little bit of time at the next charger without slowing your trip. I like to find a restaurant near the Supercharger for dinner and a hotel-based Supercharger (or a destination charger) when stopping for the night. That eliminates waiting through two charging sessions.

I'd be a little concerned at this time that the facilities around the Supercharger might be closed. A restaurant-based Supercharger might not have a restroom open for you if they are closed to inside dining. A hotel might be closed. You could call ahead, or plan to stop elsewhere.

We canceled our trip to see our kids since corona virus was getting in the way of travel and restaurants/attractions when we were there. Traveling though a lock-down state might be interesting. Though the roads should be clear. Very tempting to make our California trip now while the L.A. traffic should be minimal.

Reactions: Ciaopec