Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip. Thinking of renting a car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far loving my model 3. Need to drive from Los Angeles to Tucson Arizona for 3 days. Thinking of just renting a car for 3 days for $112. My reasons why are gas car takes about 7 hours vs m3 takes 9 hours with charging each way. Also, would not have to worry about paint on front bumper. And based on Tesla trips would only save $12 vs gas. Have to pay for supercharger. But I know model 3 would be a nicer to drive. Any thoughts?

Reactions: David99
Running LA - Tucson on A Better Routeplanner shows about 1 hr & $15 of Supercharging to be necessary. In a gasser you might be able to drive that whole way without stopping, but why would you? Add a bathroom break, a refuel of the car and a meal on the road and I bet the time difference would be less than 15 minutes each way.

A return trip would use $30 of Supercharging on the Tesla. For the cost of gas to be only $12 more, that means you think you can do the round trip on $42 of gas. At an average of $3/gal (according to GasBuddy) that means 14 gallons to drive 980 mi, or 70 mpg. What car are you planning on renting that gets 70 mpg?!

On top of that you'd be paying $112 for the privilege of driving a ..., well not a Model 3.
The Model 3 is an amazing road tripping car. Obviously you haven't figured that out yet. Take the Model 3!

The way I would look at it is, Do I want to drive a rental?
Or let the Tesla drive itself.
Last winter I was considering going from San Francisco to The Great Canyon.
I wanted getting a nice car and 4 wheel drive as possible because of the possibility of rain.
I looked at Turo, but the Tesla were quite pricey.

I used Silvercar.com and got an Audi A4S with Navigation, WiFi and SiriusXM included.
You would have to pay extra with other rental companies.
As first time user, I got a good discount and I used my own car insurance.
I'd would rather had a Tesla, but this was the best rental car experience I ever have.

Reactions: NeverFollow
We rented a Mercedes this spring in Scotland. l've never seen so many buttons, switches and dials! It actually had 3, THREE, clocks in different places. Performance was abysmal, although it was ok cruising on the highway. Pretty easy to get spoiled driving a Tesla!

I mean if you want to drive 7 hours straight with only a 5 minute gas stop then go ahead. I’ve found that the Model 3 charges so fast on the 120kw chargers that I rarely have to wait around if you coincide charging stops with eating/restroom stops you’d be doing anyways. Over 200 miles of range in a 30 minute food stop, and even close to 100 if you stop for a 10 minute bathroom break

"Running LA - Tucson on A Better Routeplanner shows about 1 hr & $15 of Supercharging to be necessary. In a gasser you might be able to drive that whole way without stopping, but why would you? Add a bathroom break, a refuel of the car and a meal on the road and I bet the time difference would be less than 15 minutes each way.

A return trip would use $30 of Supercharging on the Tesla. For the cost of gas to be only $12 more, that means you think you can do the round trip on $42 of gas. At an average of $3/gal (according to GasBuddy) that means 14 gallons to drive 980 mi, or 70 mpg. What car are you planning on renting that gets 70 mpg?!"

I think there is some bad/inconsistent math in these two sentences. There is no way you can do 980 miles on only $30 of supercharging (in particular at $0.26 per KW in California). I don't think you included the cost of the initial charge which should be factored in for a fair comparision.

Also Tesla trips actually indicates that it's fuel saving is $12 each way which sounds more realistic and makes the math work out better.

Reactions: halfricanguy
Took the 3 from San Jose to San Diego and back, also San Jose to las Vega/Red rock/Valley of Fire

I used to be of the mindset to drive/fuel/drive but I surprised myself to find the stops for charging actually were restful because I took a little walk and in the end, arrived less stressed than I thought

Prefer EV's now for sure..

• Love
"Running LA - Tucson on A Better Routeplanner shows about 1 hr & $15 of Supercharging to be necessary. In a gasser you might be able to drive that whole way without stopping, but why would you? Add a bathroom break, a refuel of the car and a meal on the road and I bet the time difference would be less than 15 minutes each way.

A return trip would use $30 of Supercharging on the Tesla. For the cost of gas to be only $12 more, that means you think you can do the round trip on $42 of gas. At an average of $3/gal (according to GasBuddy) that means 14 gallons to drive 980 mi, or 70 mpg. What car are you planning on renting that gets 70 mpg?!"

I think there is some bad/inconsistent math in these two sentences. There is no way you can do 980 miles on only $30 of supercharging (in particular at $0.26 per KW in California). I don't think you included the cost of the initial charge which should be factored in for a fair comparision.

Also Tesla trips actually indicates that it's fuel saving is $12 each way which sounds more realistic and makes the math work out better.

A Better Routeplanner shows $15 of Supercharging required for the trip each way, I find it to be quite accurate. At the destination, get destination charging, that's free. Also, any running about Tucson will also be free with the Model 3 whereas they'll have to pay for fuel in the rental ICE. After they return, they'll have to charge up the battery to be a fair comparison, agreed. I've got a solar array to do that for me so I consider the recharge to be free in my calculations. The OP may have a TOU/EV plan that's cheaper, but sure, let's add $16.50 for an 85% charge of the battery at $0.26/kWh(15% back to full) to compare on an even footing. Now it's $46.50 for the electricity. Add $12 each way (which is NOT how the OP phrased it, but I'll allow for not stating the case clearly), now you've got to achieve 42.6 mpg which is still a stretch for most vehicles today at highway speed. Furthermore, there's the additional cost of the rental when they already own the Model 3.
  • Any way you work it the Model 3 will be more cost effective than the cost of the rental + gas.
  • Unless you're going non-stop all the way in an ICE (which btw is how I used to drive in my VW TDI - 10 hours between stops!), the time difference is fairly inconsequential with the Model 3's long-range and fast Supercharging.
  • The Model 3, especially if it has EAP, will be a far more enjoyable journey than pretty much any rental car (especially any rental car you can get for $37/day!) out there.
  • The OP has an amazing road-tripping vehicle and obviously doesn't realize it yet. Time to take it on a road trip and learn it's capabilities!
  • Yes, one can fly and if time is a concern, that would be the best way to go for a trip of this length, but then there's the cost of the flight, airport parking, rental/taxi/Uber while in Tucson, airport hassles and a whole lot more greenhouse gas emissions to consider.
BTW OP, you've gotten lot's of good replies - any decision yet?

I'm going back and forth between LA an Tuscon a lot. I have done the trip in both my S and an ICE. With our truck I can go in one go all the way through in about 7 hours. With the Tesla it takes 2-3 hours longer each way. Honestly driving 7 hours straight is a PITA. You are going to take a break or two anyways. So the drive time isn't that much longer.

Then there is the cost factor. Renting the car and paying for gas.

One thing that people tend to forget when calculating charge time is they only count the drive. But you need to charge at your destination as well. If you have a charger were you stay, all good. But if not, you have to consider the time to drive to a charger and fill up. In Tuscon both Superchargers are away from the city. And when you head back you also need to charge. Again, it adds extra time if you don't have a charger where you are.

I’ve taken multiple ~270 mile road trips in the Model 3 and it is a joy.

The reality is if I drink a relatively decent amount my bladder cannot last the 4-4.5 hours and depending on the departure time or expected arrival time I might choose to eat. As a result, I plan my charging stops to coordinate with food and/or restroom breaks. The amount of time wasted is minimal. The Superchargers are the key, on more than one food stop the car got to “full” (80% or 90%) before I finished my meal. On trips where I don’t stop for food, the bathroom breaks are a little longer than necessary but if I factor in the fact that with an ICE I would have had to park the car, use the facilities, go back to the car and pull up to a hose (and hopefully not wait), the time spent at a Supercharger compares favorably (park and charge).

EAP is a game changer. I am a conservative EAP user (it is engaged only 50% of the trip...maybe 60%/65%) and I typically arrive at my destination without feeling the effects of a long drive.

Your situation is a little different because your drive is longer. However, I’ve done 6-7 hour drives on probably 1 stop and EVERY time I was making a sacrifice in one or more of the following fatigue, hunger and restroom requirements.

Do I think road tripping in a Tesla takes longer....probably but it is so worth it and on a 7 hour drive....safer in my case due to the forced breaks.

It seems I'm in the minority here, but I'd rent an ICE if I was doing the trip by myself. When looking at the cost make sure to keep in mind the increased depreciation due to the added mileage on your 3. That'd put the cost justification in favor of renting. Having an S with AP and one without, I find I don't really care much about it. When I am choosing a car to take on a road trip AP barely registers as a factor in the equation. If I'm in the car I might as well be driving.

• Informative
Reactions: ArizonaP85