Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road trip to Atlanta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Going to be doing my first significant road trip the last week of December and wanted to hear from some experienced Road trippers.

We are going from Toronto to Atlanta. I assume we will stay 1 night half way in between--Cincinnati or Pittsburgh area with a destination charger and rely on Supercharger during the day and just navigate using the car as needed to them. Any advice or recommendations?

We have an Sr plus for what that is worth.

Our longest one day road trip to date was from Savanna Ga. to Toronto while coming back from Florida. ~1000 miles in one day. My first suggestion is to take a look at abetterrouteplanner.com. It is excellent and it allows you to plug in your specific car type, expectected speeds, outside temperatures, etc.. Our trip took us ~18 hours. It would have been shorter but we got stuck in a traffic jam and lost about 40 minutes. I figured that it took just 1 hour longer than it would have in our old car based on past experience. However, the drive was so much easier with autopilot doing most of the work. (Not to mention the fuel savings)

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus and CdnElec
Second using abetterrouteplanner for your trip. Remember cold weather will reduce range. I also use teslawinds to see if I’m getting a big drag from headwinds. One day I has 20 mph headwinds which meant the draft was if driving at 95 mph.

One warning there iare HOV only lanes with a special toll going onto Atlanta from the north. Pay attention or you may get a ticket mailed to you. (no toll barrier, have to have transponder.) The transponder isn’t compatible with either the 407ETR or Ez-pass.

• Informative
Reactions: Vawlkus and CdnElec
We have done about a half dozen trips between nashville and Toronto. The stops are all pretty good, right off the highway and with food. We determined there are two options to do the 780mile trip. Both require leaving with an almost full charge

1. Three long 50 min stops (between 10%-85%)
2. Five shorter 25 min stops (between 20%-70%)

either way it requires 2.0-2.5 hours of charging

we prefer option 2. Abrp is good but the cars system is very accurate and does great.

good luck and enjoy
MX 100D as an FYI

Reactions: Vawlkus
I drove to Providence, IR last month, weather was good, five 15 to 20 min charging stop (20 to 30% left), no range anxiety at all. Like everyone here, even a Basic Autopilot is a God Send, so relaxing and actually kind of fun.

Beware, most people, like me, has M3 LR for the long distance trip. In winter, your SR+ range will be much shorter (50% less may be).

I will echo the impact of weather conditions (and more specifically temperature) on battery range. Went GTA to Columbus OHIO recently in ideal conditions but know same trip in late December equals at least one additional supercharger stop along the way.

Smart to get an idea of your route prior - nice when you can "skip" a supercharger on route, but makes sense to plan route along pathway with multiple charging choices just in case.

My path to PVD has at least 10 SC along the way, never feel anxious. Besides, have to stop for nature calling anyway. To be fair, I know it's stressful and long drive for ICE. $70 vs $1200 round trip. Flying, assuming no delay, may save me 10 hours total and I have to rent a car when I reach the destination.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
We did our first long trip in the car last year, to Branson, MO. We broke up the drive and stayed overnight at hotels that had use of Tesla HPWC charging stations provided for free. One of them I remember had a problem with ICEing, which I brought up to the hotel manager and he later informed us that they were installing signs shortly. The other hotel wasn't ICEd, but the electric relay was managed with a key that you needed to get from the front desk, which was nice. LR M3